Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Internal martial arts: a fiction?

this is the entire history of internal boxing :

about 400 years ago
    -someone called wang zhennan. he trained shaolin boxing. then he converted to taoism. he called his new style inner boxing. style went extinct after only the second generation
    -chen family practicing cannon boxing and long fist .

about 300 years ago
    - many bans and unbans on martial arts
    - chen family boxing degrades

150 -100 years ago
    -yang luchan learned chen family boxing.
    -yang luchan failed the imperial military examination. he used friends and connections to join house of manchu prince.
    - tai chi is born, becomes fad of elite rich
    - bagua and xingyi follow the trend, sun lutang quotes 400 year old dead kung fu style, uses term "internal", creates a brand

50 years ago
    -internal arts approved by communists, deemed harmless, survive cultural revolution purge, some fa got called bruce lee, white people.

if you still have some questions no clear just ask me.
    Last edited by bawang; 05-26-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    Can someone find any youtube clips that shows "internal" way to punch on heavy bag or "internal" way to kick on heavy bag?

For some unknown reason, the word "internal" and "heavy bag" just have difficult to connect. Can someone tell me why?

The reason there is so much confusion about internal and external is because most everyone takes that literally. It does not exist if you think it is supposed to be some sort of force field that you control at the wave of a hand. That version gets sold to a lot of ignorant people.
    Now, in order for any of us to move a muscle we have to expend some energy. It is internal if you will, because your energy is carried within and along the blood vessels. You eat, drink, and breath, taking in the agents that go into your body generating this energy. This energy is your chi. It is internal. It is trapped and can not leave the body as such, and can not be used exernally as a force. It powers your physical movements. You might not be able to directly develop this chi, but you can indeed learn to focus it into your physical movements to the point that they are far more powerful than normal movement. If you cannot focus this chi, you will burn it throughout the body at a rapid rate rather than focusing it into a single action. Learning internal gung fu is really learning to use your chi efficiently. The little yell just at impact of a punch is just one little method of focusing chi. It is there, it's real, and you have it just like everyone else has it. You just have to realize it and work with it. Once you finally feel it and understand it, it will serve you to some extent.
    Jackie Lee

yes there are many ways or angles of looking at the same thing

internal outward

or external inward.

---

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Can someone find any youtube clips that shows "internal" way to punch on heavy bag or "internal" way to kick on heavy bag?

For some unknown reason, the word "internal" and "heavy bag" just have difficult to connect. Can someone tell me why?
    because it doesn't exist. period.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Dead horse... Dead I say....
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.

I think we can give it a few more whacks, don't you? It's fun, no?

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    the term internal is a modern invention
    Maybe within the marital arts, but NOT as a principle. I present to you the "Nei Yeh" (Inner Training/Development) dated approx. 350 B.C. as a written document and even older as an oral tradition!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    because it doesn't exist. period.
    COME ON!!! We ALL have seen the YouTube vids of guys waving their hands at REAL opponents and they just go flying backwards doing the chicken hop!!!!

COME ON!!! We ALL have seen the YouTube vids of guys waving their hands at REAL opponents and they just go flying backwards doing the chicken hop!!!!
    existance and realism are two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Maybe within the marital arts, but NOT as a principle. I present to you the "Nei Yeh" (Inner Training/Development) dated approx. 350 B.C. as a written document and even older as an oral tradition!

What Chinese character is the Yeh of Nei Yeh ?
    and who writes it?

Thanks!

External art is art of control of body and mind in physical realm
    Internal art is art of transformation Qi and awareness (soul) in beyond physical realm.

For a balance Martial art, both control and transformation are a part of it. it is a matter of what is the percentage combination.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    this is the entire history of internal boxing :

about 400 years ago
    -someone called wang zhennan. he trained shaolin boxing. then he converted to taoism. he called his new style inner boxing. style went extinct after only the second generation
    -chen family practicing cannon boxing and long fist .

about 300 years ago
    - many bans and unbans on martial arts
    - chen family boxing degrades

150 -100 years ago
    -yang luchan learned chen family boxing.
    -yang luchan failed the imperial military examination. he used friends and connections to join house of manchu prince.
    - tai chi is born, becomes fad of elite rich
    - bagua and xingyi follow the trend, sun lutang quotes 400 year old dead kung fu style, uses term "internal", creates a brand

50 years ago
    -internal arts approved by communists, deemed harmless, survive cultural revolution purge, some fa got called bruce lee, white people.
    You can print this on t-shirts and sell them on Cafepress.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    You can print this on t-shirts and sell them on Cafepress.
    don't inspire bawang.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    What Chinese character is the Yeh of Nei Yeh ?
    and who writes it?

Thanks!
    内業

Nei Yeh has been translated into english as "Inward Training" (Harold D. Roth), "The workings of the Inner" (Jeffery Riegel) and "Inner Workings" (Allyn Rickett)

The Nei Yeh is one of four similar texts found within the Kuan Tzu.

Techniques of Mind I, Techniques of Mind II and The Purified Mind are found in the section called Tuan-yu (Short Discourses) Chapters 36, 37, and 38.

Techniques of Mind II is thought to have been derived from the Nei Yeh and is a work of prose.

The Nei Yeh is Chapter 49 in Ch'u yen (Minor Statements).

Most scholars concur it was compiled in the Chi-hsia Academy, in the state of Ch'i, around 350 B.C.

In the Chinese it has a poetic style similar to the Lao Tzu, but is about 1/3 the length. According to scholars it predates Lao Tzu and is probably a written form of an oral tradition, since the poetry lends itself to easy memorization!