Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Internal martial arts: a fiction?

I do internal gongfu, it's aan easy label for a group of styles that tend to micromanage power generation and motion in similar ways to styles often termed internal-external or external-internal.

That said, I don't think it's something to use to exoticize the style, merely the common term used to define what you train. No chi balls, and no claim that boxers and muay thai guys and other people don't use many of the same ideas in their own ways.

That said, I laugh my ass off at guys who do "external" kung fu and talk about how internal guys are the reason people think kung fu isn't good for fighting. First, most people don't realize taiji is kung fu, they think they're two different things. And second, external kung fu guys probably represent less in fighting comps than hsing yi, Chen style, the Hakka arts, and the other styles often refered to as internal or internal-external.

I also enjoy using the term to make people who worry too much about semantics cry.

In all honesty, most of my training time is working throw setups in a resisting fashion, drilling strikes, and the same things everyone else is doing. I study shuai jiao and judo books galore to crib the notes of others on similar throws to what I'm training, I have a number of boxing manuals that I read and crib notes from for strikes similar to what I'm doing, etc. Nothing exotic, but if it helps, I do retain jing, but mostly because I like being *****.

Since you asked.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

Why can't we say h0rny? What about the ***** toad? This is not only racist, it's speciesist!

Ok. it is 管子內業第四十九篇.

Thanks and appreciate!

Learn something new today.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    内業

Nei Yeh has been translated into english as "Inward Training" (Harold D. Roth), "The workings of the Inner" (Jeffery Riegel) and "Inner Workings" (Allyn Rickett)

The Nei Yeh is one of four similar texts found within the Kuan Tzu.

Techniques of Mind I, Techniques of Mind II and The Purified Mind are found in the section called Tuan-yu (Short Discourses) Chapters 36, 37, and 38.

Techniques of Mind II is thought to have been derived from the Nei Yeh and is a work of prose.

The Nei Yeh is Chapter 49 in Ch'u yen (Minor Statements).

Most scholars concur it was compiled in the Chi-hsia Academy, in the state of Ch'i, around 350 B.C.

In the Chinese it has a poetic style similar to the Lao Tzu, but is about 1/3 the length. According to scholars it predates Lao Tzu and is probably a written form of an oral tradition, since the poetry lends itself to easy memorization!

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    Why can't we say h0rny? What about the ***** toad? This is not only racist, it's speciesist!
    Toadist!

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Ok. it is 管子內業第四十九篇.

Thanks and appreciate!

Learn something new today.
    No problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Toadist!
    I'm an internal toadist. I learned the art from Richard Gere.

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    I'm an internal toadist. I learned the art from Richard Gere.
    I learned my Toad style from Kung Fu Hustle!

And the Buddha Palm!

Internal vs. External

From a metaphoric standpoint, the Internal vs. External rises from general ignorance. Obviously one cannot exist without the other. To be internal, you must be inside something external. Just look at the yin yang symbol. There's both Internal & External expressed. To be only internal is to be a ghost. To be only external is a robot.

Lately, a scholarly argument is being bandied about by those of us who are literate martial artists (yeah, I know, all five of us ). It postulates that internal actually refers to styles created inside of China, specifically those of Daoist origins, while external refers to styles with origins that have been imported such as Buddhist or Muslim roots.

I'm move this to the Internal forum. It's a decent discussion and that forum needs some luv (even toad luv).
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    From a metaphoric standpoint, the Internal vs. External rises from general ignorance. Obviously one cannot exist without the other. To be internal, you must be inside something external. Just look at the yin yang symbol. There's both Internal & External expressed. To be only internal is to be a ghost. To be only external is a robot.
    people get hung up on the internal/external debate. who knows why. for me it's all the same. you described it very neatly. one is part of the other and so forth.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

I find it silly that people want to separate the two.

There is no need as you need one of the other, etc etc...

Over the years I have met many TCMA people who do not strength train, and feel they do not need to develop their Wai Li(external power) but choose to only develop their Nei Li(internal Power).

Why would anyone not train both Wai and Nei Li?
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

The whole debate is my fault. As I do the only real internal.

Blog Entries
    Still nobody can put up a youtube clip that shows "internal" punch/kick on heavy bag?

NO such thing as internal only anything.

Only whole body.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Can someone find any youtube clips that shows "internal" way to punch on heavy bag or "internal" way to kick on heavy bag?

For some unknown reason, the word "internal" and "heavy bag" just have difficult to connect. Can someone tell me why?
    Game, set , match and hookers being sent to your room.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The secret to internal heavy bag practice is easily demonstrated. First, you need to find a low level student, push him in a heavily compliant drill into a heavy bag. If you're especially good, you'll bad mouth a rival taiji teacher while doing it.

Yep, basically.

Whatever internal may have meant - whatever it does mean - now it just means that frauds who don't know the slightest thing about fighting can pretend to be fighters without showing anything. How COULD they show you their skill - it's all internal!

Which sounds ridiculous - if only it wasn't the fact that pretty much everyone who says they do 'internal' martial arts can't actually demonstrate fighting. They just can't.

They can threaten anyone who criticises them - maybe even invite them round for a fight. But somehow, it never happens - or if it does, it's 'call security!'.

The one thing they can't do - that can't be caught by cameras - is any level of actual fighting training - even to the degree of hitting a bag convincingly. To be honest, most couldn't even waddle away from a confrontation without getting out of breath. The best they can hope for is that what's called for is breaking a piece of balsa wood, moving around slowly with a sword for ten seconds, or ordering a double cheese burger - cos that's where all their real internal skill is - in digestion.

Oh -they can also point to fake - obviously fake - youtube videos where fakes push fools over.

I think by 'internal' what we really mean is sad egos inside men who, in world where they feel so small, simply can not stop themselves from talking big.
    It's not worth a penny!