Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dedicated Style MMA Full contact championship

Dedicated Style MMA Full contact championship

From what I see at the moment MMA becomes really boring to watch, for me anyway. Not sure if others think the same.

Fighter A can do a mix of Close range, Long range, grappling, trapping, and so on. His technique is a mix of style A, B, C, Z and Y.

Fighter B can also do a mix of Close range, Long range, grappling, trapping, and so on. His technique is a mix of style A, B, C, Z and Y.

So at the end, it is the same mixed style of fighting, so most fighter in the ring will fight the same way, with more training in one or few aspects of a mix of style A, B, C, Z and Y. This is why I think it went wrong in the manner of MMA championship. People will be a fan of a fighter rather than styles, which is less support and less fans. (Business and monetary sense.)

Why we don't have a MMA championship, where Fighter A came from Boxing, and that is all he/she is allow to use. Fighter B came from BJJ, that is all he/she is allow to use. Fighter C came from TKD, that is all he is allow to use. Will not this be more interesting to watch? Fighter who train in one of the following style, A, B C, D ... Z? Verse another fighter from one of the following style A, B C, D ... Z?
    Last edited by kowloonboy; 05-27-2011 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kowloonboy View Post
    Why we don't have a MMA championship, where Fighter A came from Boxing, and that is all he/she is allow to use. Fighter B came from BJJ, that is all he/she is allow to use. Fighter C came from TKD, that is all he is allow to use. Will not this be more interesting to watch? Fighter who train in one of the following style, A, B C, D ... Z? Verse another fighter from one of the following style A, B C, D ... Z?
    Just go back and watch UFC 1, 2, & 3. Also, watch any of the old Gracie Challenge tapes or old school Vale Tudo. You'll see exactly what you're trying to describe.

Here's the lesson from MMA, those with their head in the sand get decapitated.

oh- and for the record, I do find most MMA boring to watch too. There are some good fighters who do represent though- like Anderson Silva.

MMA has evolved to the point that ANYONE that wants to be successful has to train a certain way and that training leads to MMA looking like what it does, MMA.
    It has been proven over and over that a single style of fighting won't work in MMA.
    What has been proven is that solid striking with solid clinch work with solid ground work = success in MMA.
    You get the occasional "different look" like Machida and the occasional stand out like Silva, but on a whole, MMA is what it is because it can't be anything else at this stage.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

1993 called, it wants it's format back!

It won't work because the same thing will happen that happened in the early UFC's, grappler takes down striker, pounds him out or submits him, next fight. You do understand MMA stands for mixed martial arts, if one fighter is only allowed to use his said style than it is not MMA.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

What about sambo? I know its a combination if arts, but aren't they all? Its been a round and developed its own tradition after roughly 100 years. I'd say its either the early 'mma' format or one of the few styles that developed roundly and can stand on its own in mma
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Points taken, but what if we forget what MMA means now, it stands for Mixed Martial Art. So if we look at it as Mixed Full Contact Martial Art Championship, where each fighter only trained in one style, will that work?

Yes, the earlier few UFC does prove most style doesn't work well in the ring. But if we stuck to the rule, each fighter can only represent one style, will it have evolved now? Just curious. :P

I mean earlier fighters who are Strikers didn't know what to do to fight against Grappler, we the rule made sure you can't mix styles, will the Strikers in MMA now know how to counter Grappler? I forgot who that striker was, but wasn't their a few Strikers in MMA, who deny the chance for a ground fighting by kneeing them, and KO them because grappler can take them down?
    Last edited by kowloonboy; 05-27-2011 at 07:53 AM.

The reason people fail to improve and grasp is because they hold on to anitiquated ideas and philosophies such as styles. When your style becomes more important than your fighting skill it's time to rethink a few things.

@ Lucas- Sambo can and does stand on it's own. However Sambo itself is mixture of different arts so it is not pure in definition of what many describe a style in, whatever the hell that means. Sambo has striking, clinch, and grappling. Any style that includes these three main aspects of fighting can compete in MMA.

It doesn't have the awesome secret takedown defense and grappling techniques like the ones hidden in Wing Chun forms, but what does!!
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    It doesn't have the awesome secret takedown defense and grappling techniques like the ones hidden in Wing Chun forms, but what does!!
    Definitely not Wing Chun.

Mongolian wrestling, perhaps?
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Ethiopian Sumo.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Top two limited

This is strikers only all styles welcome: http://www.k-1.co.jp/en/index.php
    & this is grapplers only all styles welcome: http://www.adcombat.com/

I think there's merit in competition that focuses on narrow skillsets in order to refine them. So, submission comps, shuai jiao, judo comps, standup, etc.

I also think there's merit in comps that allow all, mma.

One promotes and refines narrow skillsets, the other ensures that the narrow rulesets of the other comps should not define the view of how the style fights.

Kung fu competitions should be based around shuai jiao, sanda/sanshou, kuoshu type approaches, and move toward having open divisions as well.

Forms competitions need to cease to be the main focus, if kungfu is to be expressed traditionally. Push hands and chi sao competitions should cease to have such restrictive rulesets, if refined skill is superior, it should be able to deal with being gripped, having the legs, waist, and neck/head manipulated, etc. I mean, the styles that use push hands and chi sao do leg manipulations, neck manipulations, and grips, calling those same techniques unrefined is slapping those styles in the face, imo.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    I think there's merit in competition that focuses on narrow skillsets in order to refine them. So, submission comps, shuai jiao, judo comps, standup, etc.

I also think there's merit in comps that allow all, mma.

One promotes and refines narrow skillsets, the other ensures that the narrow rulesets of the other comps should not define the view of how the style fights.

Kung fu competitions should be based around shuai jiao, sanda/sanshou, kuoshu type approaches, and move toward having open divisions as well.

Forms competitions need to cease to be the main focus, if kungfu is to be expressed traditionally. Push hands and chi sao competitions should cease to have such restrictive rulesets, if refined skill is superior, it should be able to deal with being gripped, having the legs, waist, and neck/head manipulated, etc. I mean, the styles that use push hands and chi sao do leg manipulations, neck manipulations, and grips, calling those same techniques unrefined is slapping those styles in the face, imo.
    Agree 100 percent, but here is the problem:

Choice 1: Dance around like a fairy and pretend your in a Shaw Bros movie.

Choice 2: Get punched, kicked, kneed in the body and face and get thrown around like a plastic f**ck doll.

Unfortunately most choose #1. Until the day comes when Kung Fu becomes more about fighting than performance, this crap will continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    Agree 100 percent, but here is the problem:

Choice 1: Dance around like a fairy and pretend your in a Shaw Bros movie.

Choice 2: Get punched, kicked, kneed in the body and face and get thrown around like a plastic f**ck doll.

Unfortunately most choose #1. Until the day comes when Kung Fu becomes more about fighting than performance, this crap will continue.
    Keep the forms competitors and the lower rung of push hands, chi sao, and weapons sparring for profit, i.e., charge per event.

Make sanda, shuai jiao, and advanced levels of weapons sparring, reformed tui shou and chi sao free to enter, and require victory in them for grand championship.

Provide free cigarettes, jiaozi, and baijiu to attract teachers.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    So at the end, it is the same mixed style of fighting, so most fighter in the ring will fight the same way, with more training in one or few aspects of a mix of style A, B, C, Z and Y. This is why I think it went wrong in the manner of MMA championship. People will be a fan of a fighter rather than styles, which is less support and less fans. (Business and monetary sense.)

the answer is evolution. evolving to incorporate.

as someone said above if you introduce the same format you proclaimed then we would have the same outcome.

mixed martial arts as stated is just that an evolution. for good or bad it's what has become a staple. many don't like it many do.
    If you wish to see what you stated watch the early UFC's. the grapplers dominated and won. I'll save you the time of watching them.

I'm amazed that people still hold to antiquated things. and most of what they hang onto is the crap most founders of said styles discarded in the first place in order to maintain fighting effectivness. It boils down to some people want to learn to fight some want to blow smoke. which will you be? not pointing to you directly this goes for many i've met and spoke with.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.