Thread: Mantis DVD

Mantis DVD

Since there is a thread about books, I realized that my library is lacking in books AND DVD's about Nothern Mantis.
    Indeed the only Book I have is this one:

Any suggestions about DVD's ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Northern Mantis DVD's.

Greetings Family,The question of mantis dvd's is two-folded, Money and Time.If you have the money checkout every mantis dvd. otherwise use the Time to checkout only the mantis players and dvd's that are from genuine Lineage's and real sifu's/master's. hope this helps. otherwise,email me privately. Best regards.NM.

that's a tough question Sanjuro. We're not as bad as the Wing Chunners, but as a whole I'd say we're pretty devoted to our lineages, so you won't get a single definitive answer. Unfortunately my Sifu doesn't have any instructional tapes out (maybe someday I'll convince him to produce a couple - I mean I know a video producer), but from what I've seen of Master Lee Kam Wing's videos- they look exactly like the 7* I've learned (different branch - same lineage tree).

There's a video called "Living Legends of Kung Fu" that has Brendan Lai doing some applications and forms - it's not an instructional video per se, but it's pretty cool. It may be hard to find though.

Zhang Bing Dou

Although his books are in chinese only, they are great books with detailed pictures. Probably more useful for studends who know the form already, but they are very good books in general. His videos are very good as well.
    http://www.yesasia.com/global/zhang-...7-en/list.html

http://zhangbingdou.com/en/zhuzuo.asp

Cheers

Sanjuro,

I have nearly 40 DVDS, VCDs and VHS tapes that include Qixing Tanglangquan, Taiji Meihua Tanglangquan, Mimen Tanglangquan and Liu He Tanglangquan.

I also have over 450 video clips of each of the Mantis families: empty-hand taolu, weapons taolu, applications, theories and seminars.

I have all but one of the Wong Hon Fan books, including one of the anniversary editions. I also have books by Sifus Lee, Tse, Wei, Yuen, Wong and Olsen.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

From Alex Tse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_wfOiV0GXE

One year one new book, 3 years 3 new books.Series I is secret hand continuous strikes,8 strike 8 non-strike comparsion,ling bung bo and yin ching po dar,all belong to shou fats of mantis styles;Series II is regarding everything in jian,including my collection of swords and a double handed jian form-mantis pentrates forest jian with detailed applications;series III is a introduction to CCKTaichi mantis with detailed quan po,its good for everyone who learned this style.Please write to me through:alexanderx@126.com for further information
    or alextse484@yahoo.com.hk
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

iunojupiter,

do the books from yesasia.com contain applications? if the books do contain applications, are they variations and hidden ones that are not apparent or are they the superficial ones?

Honestly, I don't know

Honestly, I don't know if there are "hidden" techniques in the book. I can't read chinese I've looked through the books, as they are my Shifu's. I don't own any copies myself yet, they're on my wish lists that never get fulfilled.

You seem to ask alot about whether there are "hidden" techniques as opposed to superficial ones whenever someone mentions a book or DVD. If you really are interested in "hidden" techniques, I suggest you study the versatility of body mechanics and broaden your mind. A kick can be a kick, a sweep, a block, or a check depending on the situation and timing. Are any of those hidden? Only by the lack of vision of the practioner. In my experience, there are no "hidden" techniques. The word hidden implies that something was put away to keep secret from others. I would say that techniques are sometimes not realized by practioner due to lack of understanding or perception.

Anyways,
    Cheers

iunojupiter,

what are the applications like? i mean, are the applications apparent or not? are blocks demonstrated as blocks or strikes?

what are the forms shown? are applications demonstrated for each movement?

Brendan stuff is great, what little I have seen on youtube of course.
    Does he have any DVD's?

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    Sanjuro,

I have nearly 40 DVDS, VCDs and VHS tapes that include Qixing Tanglangquan, Taiji Meihua Tanglangquan, Mimen Tanglangquan and Liu He Tanglangquan.

I also have over 450 video clips of each of the Mantis families: empty-hand taolu, weapons taolu, applications, theories and seminars.

I have all but one of the Wong Hon Fan books, including one of the anniversary editions. I also have books by Sifus Lee, Tse, Wei, Yuen, Wong and Olsen.
    Cool, do you sell them to the public?
    Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by iunojupiter View Post
    If you really are interested in "hidden" techniques, I suggest you study the versatility of body mechanics and broaden your mind. A kick can be a kick, a sweep, a block, or a check depending on the situation and timing. Are any of those hidden? Only by the lack of vision of the practitioner. In my experience, there are no "hidden" techniques. The word hidden implies that something was put away to keep secret from others. I would say that techniques are sometimes not realized by practitioner due to lack of understanding or perception.

Anyways,
    Cheers
    Excellent point! That has also been my experience.
    Richard A. Tolson

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Cool, do you sell them to the public?
    Any suggestions?
    Sanjuro,
    No, I don't sell them. However, if you are looking for something specific, private message me and I will see if I have it. If I do, I will gladly pass it on to you.

Unfortunately there are a few (very limited) clips that I cannot share, because when they were passed to me it was made clear that they were given to me personally and I was asked not to pass them along.
    Richard A. Tolson

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    Sanjuro,
    No, I don't sell them. However, if you are looking for something specific, private message me and I will see if I have it. If I do, I will gladly pass it on to you.

Unfortunately there are a few (very limited) clips that I cannot share, because when they were passed to me it was made clear that they were given to me personally and I was asked not to pass them along.
    Thanks Richard, will do

sorry my e-mail should be without the last 2 word i,e, hk.