Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: toe kick

toe kick

hi i joined this form because i had a question about certain types of kung fu kicks. i took kung fu only for a couple months i believe when i was a teenager and they taught me "toe-kicks." ive always wondered how are these kicks supposed to work? wont one hurt one's feet/toes by kicking with the the toes/top of the feet? also won't one hurt one's feet using crescent kicks?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gabe911 View Post
    hi i joined this form because i had a question about certain types of kung fu kicks. i took kung fu only for a couple months i believe when i was a teenager and they taught me "toe-kicks." ive always wondered how are these kicks supposed to work? wont one hurt one's feet/toes by kicking with the the toes/top of the feet? also won't one hurt one's feet using crescent kicks?

thanks
    using the foot in such a manner is pretty exclusive to nutsack kicks and face slapping kicks.

to take out joints you need to use a bit of shin for the cut.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

thanks
    Toe kicks work well for those who practice in shoes, which many kung fu schools do.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Blog Entries
    "toe-kicks." ive always wondered how are these kicks supposed to work?
    Quoted from someone's comment:

If you ever got in a fight for real on the street, always kick the attacker's front stepping leg. they always have to step a foot before they punch. so you stop that foot, and the punch can't get anywhere.

You can always switch your knee kick to belly kick and back and forth.

This is the result that you want to achieve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G31h5gbazwU
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-01-2011 at 11:17 AM.

any real strike will hurt if you arent conditioned for it. the more you do it the more you will get conditioned and the less it will hurt. you can pull your toes back and hit with the ball of the foot if you are aiming at a hard surface. you can kick with the bottom of the foot or the side on a crescent kick. its like if you went and slapped a wall really hard right now it will hurt. do it every day for 5 years and it wont hurt anymore.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Blog Entries
    why would you kick someones toe man? thats just wrong!
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

hey u ever think maybe cuz they deserve it?!?!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    why would you kick someones toe man? thats just wrong!
    lol
    Actually on a side-note, I know a few folks that do like to step on opponent's toes while they're moving in; it's annoying as hell - but it works...til the opponent catches on of course :P
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    lol
    Actually on a side-note, I know a few folks that do like to step on opponent's toes while they're moving in; it's annoying as hell - but it works...til the opponent catches on of course :P

Yeesh Craig..You're revealing the dirty tricks !!!

I do this all the time and I don't care if they catch on or not, I step and press on the foot of my opponent whilst striking at him. It totally messes up whatever footwork they had in mind to get away.

Anyway, ninjas have been dispatched because of your indiscretion!!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I do that a bit, but only if they say it is okay. I've seen people fall down with their foot trapped before and it ain't pretty.

As a side note, if you try that against a skilled judoka, they're likely to sweep you.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

I always wore steel toed shoes when I bounced, still do everyday because of work environment.
    I once kicked this big MofU with a toe kick in the inner thigh and I NEVER saw anyone so bog go down so fast.
    Just saying.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    I do that a bit, but only if they say it is okay. I've seen people fall down with their foot trapped before and it ain't pretty.

As a side note, if you try that against a skilled judoka, they're likely to sweep you.
    Stepping in close and pinning your opponent's foot with your lead leg is a standard technique at our school. Since we maintain a back-weighted stance, our lead leg is less vulnerable to sweeps... instead the leg should be very light and alive and ready to move from foot-trap to an attack.

Now as far as kicking with a toe... we had one guy who came to practice wearing cowboy boots...
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Blog Entries
    I want all of my Female warriors to wear shoes like this during TOE KICKING .....

unless its......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    if you try that against a skilled judoka, they're likely to sweep you.
    Agree! A judoka will always try to reach to your leg, now you just give your leg to him for free. When you try to step on your opponent's foot, you have to put your weight on your heel. That commitment may give your opponent a chance to sweep.

Blog Entries
    We wouldn't just step on someone's foot without a follow up technique. some people back up when when you charge in. Step on his foot to stop him from retreating and attack.