Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Iron Palm

Iron Palm

Is there some kind of generic ointment i can use while developing iron palm? by generic i mean something i can buy without looking hard. There is a large china town in my area.

go to a teacher who practices iron palm, and ask if you can buy some of his jow.

i have tried several different recipes from various teachers, and have settled on one from a wu mui sifu and herbalist.

i like it because it was the least sticky of the bunch, and it smelled the least offensive.

there were others that may be a little better, but they were more expensive, and/or really stunk. (odor.)
    The more you know the less you need to show.

May you be filled with loving kindness.
    May you be well.
    May you be peaceful and at ease.
    May you be happy.

dit da jow ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY

You should never train anything like that without dit da jow. as a general rule, you should put rub it in whenever you do any kind of striking. (i.e. punching the bag, rub into knuckles). this will help to prevent damage and strengthen the bones and tendons. also, if you sifu has told you to train iron palm, he or she should have already spoken to you about how to take care of your hands. anyway, you can find a good one from a local chinese martial arts club. there are different kinds. the one my sifu makes absorbs quickly, doesn't have an overpower smell (relatively), and works really really well.

why is it that the karatekas can work their iron hand techniques without dit da jow and not suffer any adverse effects?
    "Some people say it hurts. I say pain was never really born!" -Me

NO adverse side effects??

Roughnready,

Look at many karate teachers and you rarely see people in their 70's, 80's or 90's compared to the Chinese martial arts. The beating of your hands without using any medicine is something you do at a great risk to your health. There are many acupuncture meridians which run through your hand. The knuckles used in karate(the first two on the hands) also have the large intestine and heart meridians occupying the same territory.

Many karate people die of degenerative heart problems among other problems. I wonder why when they are beating their hands against hard objects and neither doing the internal exercises to increases energy flow to the hands and using the medicine which is the key to help eliminate the blood clots which can form and then break off and go to your heart,lungs, brain and kill you.

Also no karate master I have ever seen on this continent or in Japan had the power capabilities of some of the Kung fu masters I have witnessed demonstrate.

A good jow used for Iron Palm has more resins in it and will always be more sticky than one used for injuries. Unfortunately for all us students, no odor usually means no power. The best jow I have used made my friends gag, you get used to it as your olefactory senses kick in after the first two times you use it.

You need to get the medicine from your Sifu or from someone who knows Iron Palm training. Do not use any old jow as they are designed for different purposes.

In Boston,

Dale Dugas

Talking iron palm

does anyone here train iron palm if so what conditioning and training is needed to produce a decent iron palm??

Keep your training regular and use dit da jow. As always get your instruction from someone who knows what they are doing.

Are you asking what sort of materials that can be used to strike?
    The iron palm I do has 3 levels. The first level has 4 stages - rice, chick peas, rock, and steel balls.
    Last edited by Lowlynobody; 02-06-2003 at 03:26 AM.

Iron Palm

Why is it that there is no Iron Palm division in CMA tournaments, at least the ones that I've seen?

You know like how JMA have brick breaking or ice or what have you.

I saw a tournament on TV with a "Tai Chi master" in it. I put in quotation marks cause I don't know his creditials and he was in a brick breaking compition. Anyhow, He put his index finger through a coke can, and broke some bricks. I'm assuming he does Iron Palm.

hey cap
    thats cool and all well and good and stuff,
    but i've seen lots of stuff on t.v.,
    have you ever entered a CMA tournament and seen a division for this though?

negative

In China there are lots of qi demonstration competitions. The US only cares about kickboxing and wrestling

Originally posted by Popeye's dad
    In China there are lots of qi demonstration competitions. The US only cares about kickboxing and wrestling
    Really? What do they do there?

Welcome to the forum btw.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Re: Iron Palm

Originally posted by Starchaser107
    Why is it that there is no Iron Palm division in CMA tournaments, at least the ones that I've seen?

You know like how JMA have brick breaking or ice or what have you.
    Because CMA tournaments try to maintain a level of dignity.

What next.....? Musical breaking?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

lol

Yall should check this out Extreme Kung Fu

It was a qigong tournie..

Some sick stuff
    Some cliche` stuff

etc..

Dude does throw a needle through a pain of glass though.

ps

you're welcome gene.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread