Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Iron Palm

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    I have actually. More than one. They should've spent more time training how to hit someone and less worrying about how tough their hands were. You can get as much conditioning as you need from hitting a heavy bag and sparring.
    Many people do IP training to go beyond the "typical" for whatever reason they want, many times because it is a tradition in their MA.
    It does NOT take the place of sparring and bag work, but supplements them.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    One advantage to train iron palm is when you get old, your finger joints may develop some arthritis and difficult for you to hold fist to punch, your palm edge strike will function well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    I have actually. More than one. They should've spent more time training how to hit someone and less worrying about how tough their hands were. You can get as much conditioning as you need from hitting a heavy bag and sparring.
    I still have to disagree with you here. My sifu has been training iron palm and iron shin for 20+ years and he literally has to go at only 10% when sparring due to the injury potential when he blocks. This type of conditioning is much more than what is developed through a heavy bag/sparring.

I'm sure others out there have experience with this and can chime in.

Blog Entries
    You can use your heavy bag to "maintain" your iron palm ability. You can't use your heavy bag to "develop" your iron palm ability.

99% of the time that we won't need to use IP in our life. If we have to use, IP will come in handy. To strike on the head area, the palm will function better than a fist.

Well put guys. Not going to say there isn't the person like bacon says. Yes you do need to train actual hitting I agree with you there. But to rule out traditional training that is time tested like that so easily. I.p does come in handy but you can't just sit and hit the bag like that and expect to win every fight. Good input guys.

you can get the same hard hands using a sandbag. but you cant conceal your hand. only iron sand bag lets ur hand look normal.
    Last edited by bawang; 08-15-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    In combat, ability (striking hard) is only 50%. The other 50% is technique (deliever skill).

Oneday a young boy walked toward a TCMA master and asked for comment. The boy ran 10 feet and applied a flying side kick on a tree. The TCMA master said, "You are great. I'm sure 20 miles from here, there is a tree in front of a temple. You should have no problem to kick on that tree too."
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-15-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    Anybody have links to some good makiwara designs that are out there? I'm thinking of installing one in my basement.
    just out of curiosity, why do you want to train on a makiwara?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    You can use your heavy bag to "maintain" your iron palm ability. You can't use your heavy bag to "develop" your iron palm ability.

99% of the time that we won't need to use IP in our life. If we have to use, IP will come in handy. To strike on the head area, the palm will function better than a fist.
    in our systems, (Hung Kuen and SPM) IP is used more for training power generation, rather than simply hardening the hand.
    The structures of the hand are "hardened," as a result of the training, and are necessary to withstand the impact of your own strikes as they get stronger.
    Otherwise, it is like having a solid glass hammer. You can only hit so hard with it before it breaks.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

this is an amazing little book. It shows Okinawan as well as the original Chinese training methods and how to build them.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Hojo-U...ords=hojo+undo
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I was thinking the same thing.

Makiwara are dangerous unless you know what you are doing.

You do not put them on a wall and then start striking. They need to have serious give as you do not want to strike something that does not move.

IP will not give you that nasty golf ball under the knuckle skin look that some people have. IP makes your hands baby soft until you solidify them at the time of striking.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.

Makiwara are dangerous unless you know what you are doing.

You do not put them on a wall and then start striking. They need to have serious give as you do not want to strike something that does not move.

IP will not give you that nasty golf ball under the knuckle skin look that some people have. IP makes your hands baby soft until you solidify them at the time of striking.
    agreed. no matter what you do, DO NOT use one of those foam pad, canvas covered, wall mounted "makiwaras" unless you mount it on a resilient striking post.
    Do not mount it directly to the wall. It does not have enough give, and will cause damage.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I knew so many cats who "could fight" growing up that had that makiwara on their walls with bruce lee's face on it, or the tao sign. They could fight, but none of them ever developed that brick breaking fist. Like Tigers said, your tool has to give when you strike it or the fist will never get that traditional power...
    Last edited by Faruq; 08-16-2012 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Se me habia olvidado algo asi es que queria aclarar mi comentario mas

Thanks for the link tigers. And i agree with you Dale you need to be careful doing conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    agreed. no matter what you do, DO NOT use one of those foam pad, canvas covered, wall mounted "makiwaras" unless you mount it on a resilient striking post.
    Do not mount it directly to the wall. It does not have enough give, and will cause damage.
    Not sure who mentioned mounting a makiwara to the wall.

The ones I've seen (if makiwara is the correct word for them) are a free-standing 4 x 4 with the top portion having 3 - 4 saw cuts/gaps that allow for give. This is used for punching and chops. I've seen this same design mounted at a 45 deg. angle close to the ground for kicking.

Just wondering if other folks have seen other designs out there.