Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Iron Palm

I have this.

Remember, training is not recommended at all for those under 16 years of age. Those individuals under 18 years of age must get permission from a parent or guardian before starting training. Always consult a physician before beginning any exercise program. Train at your own risk. These training methods only reflect personal experience, and Wesler's Karate, Inc. cannot be held responsible for any injury resulting from attempting to train in these techniques.

The iron palm method is the hand conditioning regimen that I prefer. I enjoy the set schedule for training, the relaxed method, and most of all, the speedy results. I also prefer this method because it trains the palm heart, or the flat of the palm. In my opinion, the flat palm slap is the trademark strike of fighting gung fu. Iron palm is the essence of the gung fu of legend, not the watered down version that so many modern practitioners bring to fights, only to be crushed.

There is no mistaking an iron palm slap for boxing, karate, or mindless street brawling. As for its application in tameshiwari, the iron palm is unrivaled when it comes to breaking solid objects. Though you might be inclined to think otherwise, it is much easier to break a brick with the iron palm than it is with a punch, chop, hammerfist, or palm heel strike. I know this from experience. Iron palm is also noted for its capability of breaking the bottom brick in a stack without spacers. Such a practice is known as selective breaking.

Ku Yu Cheong, one of the most famous masters of iron palm, reportedly could break bricks selectively in a stack. Iron palm falls short only when it comes to breaking flexible objects (wood, baseball bats) and objects with spacers. I explain it to people with this example- the palm slap can move anything it strikes one half an inch. Since cement cannot flex, it breaks. If the object, such as wood, can flex ****her than that, it will not break. This is only an exaggerated example mind you, and only an example of my personal theory at that. As for spacers, the palm has difficulty sending energy through "hollow" area.

There are many variations of the iron palm conditioning process and each usually has a set amount of time for the initial phase. During this first phase, training must be done daily. After that, maintenance training varies. The first phase ranges anywhere from one month to three years or more. There are also advanced levels of the iron palm as well as internal and external conditioning.

The regimen I use is a variation of the traditional 100 day method and combines both internal and external training. This method produced good results for me in minimal time. Many others have also reported favorable results. I will honestly tell you that 100 days is not enough time to produce an invincible palm, but it will create a hand that is dangerous enough for combat, as well as allow you to break red bricks. This regimen conditions the entire hand.

Train at your own risk. I do not recommend training for those under 16 years of age.

Materials Needed:
    -10" wide x 24" long (or larger) canvas bag
    -approx. 1" round river rocks (enough to fill the bag half way)
    -old towel
    -cinder blocks (support stand)
    -dit da jow

the kid im going to give the info to has mung beans to start, I told him to fashion a bag to hold them, then get some iron palm jow. I could show him the basic strikes ie: palm, backhand, knife, and ridge. tell him an amount of repetitions, but I think he is looking for actual instructions from someone who practices iron hand.

I suggested he get the Wing Lam Tiger Iron Palm masters kit. It looks pretty good to me. I dont know if he has the resources to get that though, so I am looking for actual basic instruction. no purchasing.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12

iron palm training

Can anyone tell me of a good irom palm regimine?

What's your MA background and how long have you been training?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

not a fan of iron palm

iron palm training could really ruin your sensitivety in your hands. not good for martial arts. but you can still attain it if say you practice xing yi

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    iron palm training could really ruin your sensitivety in your hands. not good for martial arts. but you can still attain it if say you practice xing yi
    Been doing it for a bit now and know a few that have done it for years, decades even, and they are fine with sensitivty and range of motion.

Of course there are certain methods of IP that look quite brutal.

[QUOTE=mkriii;799697]Can anyone tell me of a good irom palm regimine?[/QUOTE]

As Sanjuro asked what is your background?

How old are you?

Iron Palm is not to be trained until at least the age of 18-20 as the human body has not finished growing yet and the training could affect the growth of the hand(s).

Why are you asking this question on an open martial arts forum? Does your teacher offer this training program? If not why not?

Feel free to ask questions but we need to know a bit more about you as it pertains to are you going to be able to do the training or not.

Be well, train hard
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Been doing it for a bit now and know a few that have done it for years, decades even, and they are fine with sensitivty and range of motion.

Of course there are certain methods of IP that look quite brutal.

I have been training my hands for over 15 years. Gene has met me personally at the Zhang San Feng festival and has seen my big ole meatball hands(though he was more interested in my kilt at the time ) I have no issues.

Done correctly and with someone who KNOWS what they are doing, you will not have any issues. Train incorrectly and you will damage your nerves and might cause other affects that are not so good on the body.

I teach a method that has worked well for me over the years. If interested you can contact me for more information as well as coming to my seminar in November where I will be teaching both Iron Palm and Iron Vest over an entire weekend. For more info on the sem visit: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/news...h=11&year=2007

Be well, train hard.
    Last edited by Dale Dugas; 09-26-2007 at 12:46 PM.

Dale's stuff is Top Notch and his Jow is superb.

His legs are much admired by scotsmen.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Dale's stuff is Top Notch and his Jow is superb.

His legs are much admired by scotsmen.

many thanks brother for the kind words.

The ladies seem to like my well developed calves.....

I think I made Gene jealous and covetous of a set as grand...

I pity his genetics.
    Alas, I too have small calves....
    No matter what I have done, the copious amounts of weight i have lifted, they refuse to grow.

This is from a friend who attended the Zhang Sang Feng. I was cutting and so was my kung fu brother Dr. Yancy Orchard. my friend then photoshopped us together.

Big Bald Bagua Behometh

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    This is from a friend who attended the Zhang Sang Feng. I was cutting and so was my kung fu brother Dr. Yancy Orchard. my friend then photoshopped us together.

Big Bald Bagua Behometh
    LOL @ the 4B's !!

Has anyone ever used their "Iron Palms" on another person and if so did it cause the internal damage it has been reputed for?

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Dale, can you tell me what the 8 hand strikes are? I've been hitting a sand bag using a vibrating palm strike. Thats what one of my teachers told me to start with. He was one of Sifu Dufresne's assistant instructors for a while. He told me to concentrate on relaxing the hand and just letting it drop rather than putting power into it. He said for me to build up to that. Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    Dale, can you tell me what the 8 hand strikes are? I've been hitting a sand bag using a vibrating palm strike. Thats what one of my teachers told me to start with. He was one of Sifu Dufresne's assistant instructors for a while. He told me to concentrate on relaxing the hand and just letting it drop rather than putting power into it. He said for me to build up to that. Is this correct?
    Sandbags will not develop Iron Palm.

I do not know what the 8 strikes are as my system of Iron Palm only uses 3 and then you learn to throw them from short distance so you could say there are only 6. There are many forms of Iron Palm training but sand is not hard enough to develop the hand to its utmost potential.

It will give conditioning but you must graduate to harder materials and stronger medicines to achieve.

You must learn not to strike the bag but relax and learn to let the power come out naturally over time. hence Iron Palm is not something that is going to be fully understood quickly. It takes a while to teach this to the body.

be well, train hard