Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: chain punching till my arms fall off

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    It's a nice clip, Micheal is very tight in his movements, very hard to see the slight angles and structure/mechanics at play here.

Now here is the the thing, Micheal (white shirt) is getting the flank of black shirt guy, who also has a VT frame and movement. VT frm/movmt is all about facing square while in training (chi sau/laap sau mode & range), so if Mike can get his flank how much easier will it be for him to get one's flank when they don't have this VT development?

Like other's have said, part of what is learned in VT is to get the flank on your opponent, why do this? Because it's easier to fight one side at a time than two sides at time. VT teaches to fight with 2 live sides, the natural tendency in people is to turn when they hit, which is one side live the other dead (for the moment anyways).

The conumdrum is can we get enough power in our strikes to do the job, without using a torque/twisting turning method to do so leaving us with one dead side when we hit. Well that is for each of us to develop if we know how.

J
    well put....

too much vertical punching

Hi,

Nothing wrong with training and using the vertical punch. However, the nun is leading us to more sophisticated ways of fighting.

I know a lot of schools feel you use a deflection then punch 8 times down center line. That is not wrong but if that is what you want to do why train in Wing Chun? I think if that were the mentality of my school that I would switch to boxing so I could mix in other punches.

Also, does your school have you practice footwork while throwing all these punches? Because, nobody will stay in place for 8 hits. After 1 or 2 they will be moving backwards, its important to keep it real. Practice your footwork, dart forward while punching.

Lastly, the form repeats things 3x. I dont know where 8 came from. The nun is showing us we can do combos in 3. so 3,6,9,12 etc. Will you be standing still to receive 9 punches?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Hi guys

I have been training for a few months now. Last nights sesson was a killer. With punching weights we did 5 punches to the count, we did pyramid building from 10 to 50 then back down (i.e. 10 x 5, 20 x 5, 30 x 5 etc), followed by 100 (x 5). inbetween each set, we did a quick drill. This totals nearly 2000 punches. What is gained by punching to this degree? surely 50(x5) is plenty as a warm up? I guess it is for building the muscles that we punch with, i.e biceps, triceps and back?

I remember doing hundreds of punches in class, heck there were even times we did a couple of thousand. I always hated these classes and at the end of the day when i'm at home icing my shoulders from the soreness, i thought why the hell we even do that many. Then i became more accustomed to doing them, you know why? Because i found ways to cheat on the punches so as not to get so sore.

Punching is good provided you use good technique. Doing more of something just because you think it provides benefit will only lead to bad habits. Quality over quantity.

Oh, and what Frost and others said, punching while wearing wrist weights = no good. And don't even think of putting them on your ankles and kicking, just in case you thought that was a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    Punching with weights is a good way to develop strength in the muscles that are required for such an action. I feel it's important to not go at full speed when the hands are weighted down and it's very important to practice form. This prevents injuries and fosters good technique.

Also, weighing down your hands makes your hands 'lighter.' Put on a pair of 16oz boxing gloves and go hit a couple rounds on the heavy bag. Then take them off and put on some MMA gloves. You'll be as fast as lightning!

Very well put. As for the mma gloves, you can purchase weighted ones as well.
    Hand Crafted Wooden Dummies at Affordable Prices!

Shaolinhouse.com