Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: chain punching till my arms fall off

Quote Originally Posted by mvbrown21 View Post
    I wasn't referring to that concept Kev, I was referring to the either punching over each fist as it comes back or the side by side method.
    side by side, xing...same thing.... if you go parallel or two equally extended you risk being shut down.
    Tut sao is the same actions as the opening moves , just individually done in abstract , showing the sweep and recovery of wusao to make the next action punches...all the actions use the joan sien , with chu ying.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 06-03-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    a lineage thing ? the first thing everyone of us does when starting the forms, x wrists in front of sternum extend outwards so wrists stay xed until they reach apex.
    return back to X in front of chest....then left fist wrist x's the line too and extends forwards with elbow touching line , wrist still xing line...
    right punch same..
    left tan also x's line...etc...
    In fact, this whole thing might be a miscommunication, just re-explain what your talking about in regards to the straight punching as an exercise? We might be on the same page, who knows?
    Matt

www.youtube.com/mvbrown25

In fact, this whole thing might be a miscommunication, just re-explain what your talking about in regards to the straight punching as an exercise? We might be on the same page, who knows?
    true, the whole system is this simple idea, the techniques we use are line related.

side by side, xing...same thing.... if you go parallel or two equally extended you risk being shut down.
    Tut sao is the same actions as the opening moves , just individually done in abstract , showing the sweep and recovery of wusao to make the next action punches...all the actions use the joan sien , with chu ying.
    No offense or anything, but I honestly lost you there? I think sometimes you might explain things from inside your head with connections already made within your mind. That's not a bash, so please don't take it that way. Just try to explain things sometimes like you're teaching someone it for the first time. I'd like to understand what your talking about so that kowloonboy can get some correct info, so if you don't mind, just start over

Thanks
    Matt

www.youtube.com/mvbrown25

THanks for your lengthy replies guys. I will read them in more detail later, and post back. I'm on my phone at the moment.

yellow beans are good for starters... fill 80% allow for impact to compress bag or you can split zipper etc...
    Hit bag a few times [10-15 punches] and check in between your knuckles for a small red 'tattoo' mark aka a blood blister, forming from heat/friction under the skin. Stop ! before it bleeds on bag [hygiene] and it takes 3 weeks before you can hit again...
    when you make red mark on fist turn to open vertical palm strikes, you will develop blister at base of palm same way if not careful, so stop and cool down. Check often...
    next day add a few more punches, and so on...try 500 between forms, run 5 miles have bag in backpack, use bungee cord to strap to available tree , hit , forms, hit, forms hit tree too then run more..fitness just as important for punching...
    You can make a narrow hanging bag out of an old jacket sleeve filled with small rocks/pebbles/shingle, wrap in gaffer tape for jum sao elbow in horizontal palm strikes .
    For kicking fill wall bag [larger] with shingle/rocks etc....
    No better object to hit and kick than the Thai long bag.
    Thank you very much for your detailed advice.

On another note, the fists pass next to each other, either side of the line not over and under, very important to repeat this early or you ingrain straightlines rather than sweeping , striking natural intercepting lines..iow lin sil di dar starts asa you do chain punch....forget fast punching , try good line sweeping strikes with body behind them.
    Could you post a video clip of this punch? I am guessing of how this should be executed. So keep elbows inward like all Wing Chun punch, while the front fist finish hitting/impact the target and returning back, at the same time the rear fist travel forward toward the target, and at some point they will be parallel next to each other (at one point of the path traveling along the center line, it will be two fist right next to each other, like a western boxer in guarding position) Have I got this right? Thanks

Does the punch look like 1:11 to 2:07 of the following clip?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgQyiEWdlNQ
    Last edited by kowloonboy; 06-04-2011 at 05:55 PM.

In regards to the wall bag, I use brown rice. Brown rice keeps the bugs away for some reason. How you fill it kind of depends on the quality of the bag and what it's made out of. For instance, the high quality leather and/or leather canvas mix bags you can pack jam tight and over time you'll "break it in" to the perfect condition. The cheaper bags you fill pretty much the way Kevin described.

I would start out with the rice to break you in and if you want, some people move onto small BB's at first and move on to bigger ones as their hands toughen. It's really not necessary though. A rice filled bag will be enough. I recommend picking up some "dit da jow" too. It's a chinese herb blend that helps strengthen your bones and ligaments over time. But right away it will take away any aches and pains you might have. Just rub on a small amount on your hands before and after training with the wall bag. As you move on to working with a partner or on the dummy you can put it on your forearms as well.

Hope this helps
    Thanks for your help once again, Matt.

I have read some where today that filling should be
    Stage 1 - rice filling
    Stage 2 - black eye peas or kidney beans
    Stage 3 - small pebbles or metal ball bearing

Since I got a 3 section bag on the way (just ordered), I will put brown rice for the mid section (I read that this will feel like punching the body), and use yellow bean/ black eye peas or kidney beans for the top section (I read this will feel more like the hardness of people's head when impact). But which one should I use in the future small pebbles or metal ball bearing once my fist or palm strike are more conditioned? Which one will better? Thanks

Blog Entries
    I don't like rice. When it turns into powder, you can inhale into your lung. The green mung bean is better for the beginner level training. It's cold in nature and harder than the rice.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1341&bih=618

In the advance level, try to mix 50% BB and 50% green mung bean so you won't get arthritis in your old age. I find the plastic bean (or rubber bean) is good replacement for the 50% green mung bean in the advance level training.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-04-2011 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I don't like rice. When it turns into powder, you can inhale into your lung. The green mung bean is better for the beginner level training. It's cold in nature and harder than the rice.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1341&bih=618

In the advance level, try to mix 50% BB and 50% green mung bean so you won't get arthritis in your old age.
    Thanks, green mung bean then. Is BB, the BB pellets (Steel or Plastic?) for Airsoft pistol?
    Last edited by kowloonboy; 06-04-2011 at 06:21 PM.

we start with smother small rocks and move up to gravel.

We used to use a weight in class it was a bar probably 3 pounds or so. I have heard this is bad and doesn't help but I think it can help some. What we did was we would hold the bar bring our fist to center and then throw a punch as fast as we could and rechamber. After throwing punches we would then hold the bar strait out and bring the arm back as quickly as possible. I now have a wall bag hanging in my room unfortunately I don't have a place of my own and all the banging bothers my family. I do 2 level punching drills on my wall bag. 1 strike to the head, 2 to the body then another 1 to the head in rapid succession as I step forward and back. We do this in the air at the beginning of class as one of our warm up drills. I love the 2 level drill because in many cases you go for a strike to the head and people raise their arms. It really helps to teach newer people to switch targets quickly and keep getting hits. I tried my hand at candle punching it's a good way to develop proper technique and speed. The candle should be at shoulder height so that when you punch the fist goes strait out to the flame. Stand back far enough so that you can't actually touch the flame. Increase distance if your blowing the candle out easily. The flame should be blown back but not really blown out.

I had the kids in our class line up I put on a chest pad and held my arms behind my back. I then had each kid come up and do rapid chain punches as I moved around the room using my footwork. They had to keep up and not break contact until they were out of breath. At times I would simply walk slowly towards them and had them try hard not to retreat as I pushed towards them. I do a similar exercise with kicks because a lot of newer students have trouble dealing with a moving target and a target coming forward can throw some off balance when they land a hit.

On another note, the fists pass next to each other, either side of the line not over and under, very important to repeat this early or you ingrain straightlines rather than sweeping , striking natural intercepting lines..iow lin sil di dar starts asa you do chain punch....forget fast punching , try good line sweeping strikes with body behind them.
    Is this right? I have been taught over and under; one drops and allows the other to punch. I have only been trainin a few months, so id like to get it right early on

The punching with weights that I initially asked about is not with a bag. these punches are just straight out. If punching pads etc, no weights are used. I have a bag in my garage that is yet to be filled so all the other above info is also very useful, again, I doubt I would do this with the weights. I do have a BOB in the garage that I like to chain punch but it isnt ideal as it starts to rock all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Is this right? I have been taught over and under; one drops and allows the other to punch. I have only been trainin a few months, so id like to get it right early on
    The wrists x the line...fists drop and go over but sliding wrists along line so they intercept using forearms.

The fist forearm dropping down is jut sao...

Tan elbow strike spreads off the centerline as fist x's line

Jum elbow strike contracts into the centerline "

The sophistication of the chain punch is a mystery to many.
    A lot of guys think its all about A - B...eggbeater air speed.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 06-05-2011 at 02:23 PM.

The wrists x the line...fists drop and go over but sliding wrists along line so they intercept using forearms.

The fist forearm dropping down is jut sao...

Tan elbow strike spreads off the centerline as fist x's line

Jum elbow strike contracts into the centerline "

The sophistication of the chain punch is a mystery to many.
    A lot of guys think its all about A - B...eggbeater air speed.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF4sx...&feature=feedu , Ernie explaining some details in dan chi and basic concepts in Ving Tsun. At 00:16 you can see a good example of a "tan" strike after he has bong'd, again at 00:40 you can see the "tan" strike following up after bong. Tan means to spread so these strikes are meant to clear the line to make space for it to hit, usually done if the bridge contact is on the outside of your forearm. Striking this way, the arm is more elongated, as compared to "jum" striking.

At 00:50 is an example of a "jum" strike, which cuts the obstruction (it slices into the straight line, making it's direction go away from you) and makes space for the strike to continue in to make contact. Here is seen the bent/heavy elbow and is done when the bridge contact is inside the forearm. One has to adjust their frame to ensure the distance is correct.

Just some examples of what Kevin is talking about.

James