Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are There Any Other Arts As Deadly As This One?

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Calling it a skirt will get you kilt.

therein is the difference laddy.

Doh!

。。。五六七八九十

This art is definitely as deadly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOh3GYTajW4
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post

TonyJaa Ryu!

Finally, Japanese Wu Shu....

Arts aren't deadly, people are. IMHO

And don't ever diss the Fat guy with training, pip squeeks...
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Notice closely the lack of fatness in that video.

deadly or not

at least protecting you from harms

or how to avoid harms to one self is the first and last or only priority.

I suppose in order to feel superior I should say...yeah...those guys suck...but really, they don't. Yes the head guy is fat, but so are the teachers of many internal arts. I have yet to see anyone demonstrate superior techniques. They were using sound principles found throughout Chinese martial arts. Yes some people perform things better and so what? The sad fact remains that the majority of indonesian martial arts are closer to authentic kung fu than most schools that advertize "Authentic kung fu."

I liked the video, I liked it as a demo of what their school is doing. There are far worse places to train, they were learning good techniques and practicing.....that is how you get better..by practicing not by making fun of people who are practicing.

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Malaysian Silat gets laughed at by Malaysians mostly.
    Indonesian Silat, not so much.

Although, "in general", I'd agree, I have seen some good MY silat - but unfortunately I've noticed it to be the exception.
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    Although, "in general", I'd agree, I have seen some good MY silat - but unfortunately I've noticed it to be the exception.
    You probably saw indo silat played by a transplant. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Aren't pretty much MOST martial artists laughed at?
    It's not worth a penny!

Quote Originally Posted by Water-quan View Post
    Aren't pretty much MOST martial artists laughed at?
    Not when they're holding a scoped r700 they aren't.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Razaunida View Post
    I suppose in order to feel superior I should say...yeah...those guys suck...but really, they don't. Yes the head guy is fat, but so are the teachers of many internal arts. I have yet to see anyone demonstrate superior techniques. They were using sound principles found throughout Chinese martial arts. Yes some people perform things better and so what? The sad fact remains that the majority of indonesian martial arts are closer to authentic kung fu than most schools that advertize "Authentic kung fu."

I liked the video, I liked it as a demo of what their school is doing. There are far worse places to train, they were learning good techniques and practicing.....that is how you get better..by practicing not by making fun of people who are practicing.
    Its not that, really. Its just the age old problem of getting used to a compliant atmosphere. Its was too convenient. Techniques build on each other as a rule. They can build from a vantage point of comfort, or they can build with the opponent's resistance in play. Same techniques, just a different tack on the strategies.

Everyone starts out with a dead partner. As you get better you increase the temperature on the attackers end. Maybe his school is new and the students are not yet that capable and yet he wants to demo techniques. It is still better than most schools out there. I have no affiliations whatsoever with that school or style. I always practiced in a 1-10 progression, starting off super slow and ending with my hardest hit. The other person quickly would find where their technique was stiff or broken this way. Always going too hard is just as bad as always attacking like a scarecrow zombie.