Thread: Good WC schools in Los Angeles?

Good WC schools in Los Angeles?

I recently moved into Koreatown, sort of central LA, and have been trying to find a good WC school in the area. I only trained for 3 months under a Sifu that I really liked, but unfortunately live too far to commute now. So basically I don't know what to look out for with what makes a not-so-good school.

I'm closest to CAMA with Todd Shawn Tei who doesn't seem to have good reviews on here. I know there are a lot of other schools in the area but am having a hard time tracking them down. Too far from Gary Lam so that one's out, so far all I've found are Eric Oram and Hawkins Cheung, and I don't know too much about either of those places although I do hear good things about Hawkins' school. Are there any others in the area?

Just sent you a PM....

Are you anywhere near Ernie Barrios? I'd recommend him in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    Are you anywhere near Ernie Barrios? I'd recommend him in a heartbeat.
    Second that. http://www.abmvt.com/

Even if you could only make it out for the weekend sessions here and there - do it!
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

A recent posting on the ABMVT page on facebook from Ernie regarding new students :
    "Starting the interview process for a few new prospective members applying to join up with the ABMVT LA crew ..Unlike most schools we don't just take anyone and everyone in . A person has to have the right elements [Good heart No Ego open mind ''not some Sifu-itus robot '' ] and a willingness to train hard and train smart ,
    So needless to say not many make it , but better to have a few with great energy personalities and like mindedness then a school full of lost souls."

just a heads up for anyone interested in training with his group in LA.

As someone that has trained with E and his crew there in LA (all of them are very giving with the info), it's a great opportunity and experience, one wouldn't regret it, as I always leave with some great lessons learned and lots to work on when back home.

James

Hawkins Cheung is an old man now, I recommend you learn from him while he's still in our world.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Teachers in LA

Miguel, please keep me abreast (either pm me or via this thread) of what you find.

If Gary Lam is too far - Monterey Park - then the other teacher I know of in that area is also probably too far. There is a TWC guy over in the West LA area: http://www.lawingchun.com/. I have never visited their school.

There are a group of guys that teach over in Glendale where I am. They teach out of the YWCA.

There are a couple of guys I met who do their own training down in the Venice area. I think their background and skill is excellent. One of them used to read this board. If he still reads this board he might pm you. I couldn't train with them due to the commute to Venice, but they are really good.

I visited Hawkins school about 1.5 years ago. He was not teaching at that time and his health seemed very poor.

Ernie is a great guy, his fees are kind of pricey, but his WC skills are top notch.

Like I said keep me abreast of what you find or PM for more info.

Rindge

Quote Originally Posted by rindge View Post
    There are a couple of guys I met who do their own training down in the Venice area. I think their background and skill is excellent. One of them used to read this board. If he still reads this board he might pm you. I couldn't train with them due to the commute to Venice, but they are really good.
    Done.

Hope things are going well Rindge!

Emil