Thread: Bai Jiu (Moutai)

Hybrid View

Bai Jiu (Moutai)

Helps my kung fu. Its different from other spirits it goes to the spleen and you can keep your balance even when you toe up. Tequilla makes me into an Aztec Huizalipotchli, Bai jiu turns me into Li Bai.

Ever train with the bai jiu?

Where can you buy some Mao Tai (thats how I roll) in the US?

Apparently it also makes you hallucinate. . .waitasec..I already knew that!

when i drink rice wine i buy a watermelon, then i sit on a chair and stare at the floor. then i smash the watermelon.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

rice wine is for southern weaklings.

Real men drink Baijiu.

My drug of choice tends to be 绵竹大曲 (52% alcohol, made from sorghum but with some rice, wheat and corn in the blend.

As it happens, today (speaking of Li Bai...) I am drinking Taibai (50% alcohol, made from sorghum, wheat and (dried?) peas. NO RICE!
    Last edited by omarthefish; 06-11-2011 at 02:34 AM.

1 li bai was a poet. a bit drinking relaxed him and good poems created.

drink to the bright moon etc etc

2 guan yu or guan yun chang had a red face

it is difficult to see his face redder or not after some rice wine.

drink a bit but not too much.

--

drunken tai chi, drunken mantis

drunken swordplay

--

Chinese wines are all shyte. All of them.
    Drink a single malt scotch whisky if you want to have a real drink.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    rice wine is for southern weaklings.

Real men drink Baijiu.

My drug of choice tends to be 绵竹大曲 (52% alcohol, made from sorghum but with some rice, wheat and corn in the blend.

As it happens, today (speaking of Li Bai...) I am drinking Taibai (50% alcohol, made from sorghum, wheat and (dried?) peas. NO RICE!
    do you smash watermelons

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Comparing fine scotch with er gua tou? Silly savages.

I have had imperial rice wine, it is not like anything you have ever had. Good baijiu is incomparabe, which is why I am looking for it in the US.

It is also important for pao jiu. Herbal wines are important for kung fu. Even shaolin monks had training wines because kung fu trumps Buddhism.

Moutai ganbei!

RisingTones
    Moutai Thanks Hit Movie ‘Wolf Warrior 2’ for Free Advertising
    Patriotic action flick has broken China’s all-time box office record.
    Zhang Liping

Aug 08, 2017

Chinese box office hit “Wolf Warrior 2” has received a thank-you letter from the president of Kweichow Moutai, the country’s most famous brand of liquor, because of the hero’s propensity to take long swigs of the drink in-between saving the people around him.

The movie, which premiered July 27, tells the story of a former People’s Liberation Army soldier protecting Chinese citizens and local factory workers in an African war zone.

The patriotic overtones have proven popular with audiences. As of Tuesday, “Wolf Warrior 2” has earned more than 3.4 billion yuan ($507 million), breaking China’s all-time box office record, set last year by Hong Kong comedy “The Mermaid.” Wu Jing, 43, both starred in and directed “Wolf Warrior 2,” whose prequel earned 525 million yuan in 2015.

On Monday, Yuan Renguo, president of Kweichow Moutai Co. Ltd., congratulated Wu on his success in an open letter on the company’s website. “The movie has hit a new record and become a phenomenon,” Yuan wrote. “The movie is now synonymous with patriotism.”

Kweichow Moutai’s brand of liquor, a premium type of baijiu, or Chinese sorghum liquor, appears in the movie four times. The drink is given about a minute of screen time in total — advertising that the company did not pay for, Yuan said in his letter.

“Your free placement of Moutai, the national liquor, in the movie has once more allowed this famous Chinese brand to impress the world,” Yuan wrote.

A still frame from the film ‘Wolf Warrior II’ shows actor Wu Jing drinking Moutai liquor.

Kweichow Moutai was once favored by Chinese officials but saw its sales drop following President Xi Jinping’s campaign against government extravagance, which launched in 2013. But the liquor maker has started to make a comeback this year: While the company’s production levels have not yet fully recovered, its stock price is on the rise.

Yuan also added that the company had organized screenings of the film for its 30,000 employees, which he said boosted their feelings of nationalism and “company cohesion.”

Many moviegoers also said they were impressed by the patriotic plot of “Wolf Warrior 2.” Tong Yemeng, a 32-year-old office worker from Beijing, told Sixth Tone that she watched the film because of positive reviews from her colleagues and on social media. “I felt so moved and proud of my country when I saw Wu Jing waving the national flag in the war zone,” she said. “It showed our increasing national power.”

Kong Mingzhe, a film enthusiast from Shanghai, told Sixth Tone that the patriotism of “Wolf Warrior 2” was not as over-the-top as in other movies. “Since we are still 20 years behind Hollywood action movies,” he said, “it’s good to see we have such a movie today.”

The movie’s patriotic success can be attributed to its timing, Qian Lijun, a Beijing-based marketing executive, told Sixth Tone. He pointed out that “Wolf Warrior 2” hit cinemas as India and China were involved in a border dispute, as the central government is promoting its international Belt and Road Initiative, and as the People’s Liberation Army celebrated its 90th anniversary.

Qian theorized that the movie serves as an outlet for people’s nationalistic feelings. “Otherwise, it wouldn’t have such a big impact,” he said.

Editor: Kevin Schoenmakers.

(Header image: A still frame from the film ‘Wolf Warrior 2’ shows actor Wu Jing shooting at his enemies. IC)
    I missed Baijiu day (8/9 = ba jiu) this year but maybe I can celebrate by just watching Wolf Warrior 2?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Luckin Coffee's Kweichow Moutai liquor latte

China's Moutai, Luckin launch alcohol-tinged latte to woo young Chinese consumers
    China | 4 Sep 2023 4:20 pm

An advertisement promoting a Kweichow Moutai liquor latte is seen at a Luckin Coffee store in Beijing. (Reuters)
    Kweichow Moutai and coffee brand Luckin Coffee on Monday launched in China a latte advertised as containing the fiery Chinese spirit baijiu, as the Chinese luxury liquor maker aims to pull in younger consumers.

The 38 yuan (US$5.23) "sauce-flavored latte", which Luckin discounted to 19 yuan on the first day of sales, was one of the most discussed topics on Chinese social media platform Weibo, with several users saying they had placed orders.

Moutai, known as the national liquor of China, is a potent, colorless spirit that is usually served at banquets in China, and drinkers say that the flavor and aroma of Kweichow Moutai's version are similar to soy sauce. The companies said the latte alcohol content was lower than 0.5 percent of its volume.

The launch comes amid a slowing economy and as Kweichow Moutai, whose alcohol sells at an average market guide price of 1,499 yuan, has been looking for ways to be more accessible and pull in a new generation of users. The company, based in China's southwestern Guizhou province, also launched a baijiu-infused ice cream last year.

Chinese social media users posted videos of themselves picking up cups of the drink and being told by sales staff that they should not drive after drinking it. By Monday afternoon in Beijing and Shanghai, Luckin's app showed that the drink had sold out at several stores.

Independent food industry analyst Zhu Danpeng said the collaboration would most likely benefit both brands.

"Moutai and Luckin are the leading enterprises in the domestic liquor and coffee sectors, respectively," Zhu said. "On the one hand, Moutai accelerates its brand rejuvenation through cooperation with Luckin and on the other hand, for Luckin, its cooperation with Moutai also helps to improve its comprehensive strength and brand tone in the coffee industry."

Luckin has been aggressively expanding its store portfolio in China after surviving an accounting fraud scandal in 2020 that forced it to withdraw from the Nasdaq exchange and brought it to the brink of collapse.

(Reuters)
    I'm not sure this would taste good.

Coffee
    Bai-Jiu-(Moutai)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Moutai coffee & chocolate

China's Moutai launches boozy chocolates with Dove in diversification drive
    By Casey Hall
    September 13, 20239:40 PM PDTUpdated 22 days ago

[1/2]An advertisement promoting a Kweichow Moutai liquor latte is seen at a Luckin Coffee store in Beijing, China, September 4, 2023. REUTERS/Florence Lo/File Photo Acquire Licensing Rights

SHANGHAI, Sept 14 (Reuters) - Chinese luxury liquor-maker Kweichow Moutai (600519.SS) is again looking to diversify from its fiery baijiu spirit core business to attract a new generation of consumers via a sweet collaboration with Mars, Inc.-owned Dove.

The companies jointly announced on Thursday they would release limited edition alcohol-infused chocolates, available from Saturday.

Within an hour, a hashtag about the collaboration had leapt to the top of the trending topics list on China's Weibo social media platform.

This announcement comes only 10 days after the launch of a baijiu-infused latte from Moutai and domestic Starbucks rival, Luckin Coffee (LC0Ay.MU), which generated enormous interest online and sold out in cities around China.

"This demonstrates Moutai's desire to broaden their appeal more to younger consumers," said Jason Yu, greater China managing director of market research firm Kantar Worldpanel. "They fear their current base is too concentrated on older consumers and that makes them worry about the future of the brand."

Moutai, known as the national liquor of China, is a potent, colourless spirit that is usually served at banquets.

The company, based in China's southwestern Guizhou province, began its run of collaborations last year with domestic dairy Mengniu. The resulting series of alcohol-infused ice-creams also caused a stir among Chinese consumers.

In part, the attraction for younger Chinese of these quirky product tie ups lies in the novelty of buying into the Moutai brand for a small fraction of the cost of buying a bottle of its liquor, which has an average market price of 1,499 yuan ($206) for 500 mls.

Though details of the price of the upcoming liquor-infused chocolates Moutai is releasing with Dove haven't been released yet, the Moutai-infused Luckin lattes were made available for as little as 19 yuan with coupons and a small tub of the alcoholic ice-cream was priced at 60 yuan.

Shares in the company were little changed on Thursday, having gained 5% this year.

($1 = 7.2735 Chinese yuan renminbi)

Reporting by Casey Hall

Casey Hall
    Thomson Reuters
    Casey has reported on China's consumer culture from her base in Shanghai for more than a decade, covering what Chinese consumers are buying, and the broader social and economic trends driving those consumption trends. The Australian-born journalist has lived in China since 2007.
    Bai-Jiu-(Moutai)
    Coffee
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips