Thread: When and how long have you done iron hand?

Hybrid View

When and how long have you done iron hand?

Me: back in '87-92 did a bad version, '95 did a better version, aside form bag wok(gloved and otherwise), don't do it much now, probably will again sometime.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

8 years so far.
    And before that, regular makiwara and or bag work since 1980.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Like KC, in the 90's did some-used the wrong jow, the wrong way-made my bones brittle-broke three fingers in one year...
    Just started taking it up again as part of my general training, coupled with makiwara and lien gung.
    Basically, at 54 (this July) I need to increase/maintain my bone/muscle density so it makes sense to train ip.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Like KC, in the 90's did some-used the wrong jow, the wrong way-made my bones brittle-broke three fingers in one year....
    Ummm... so doing IP training made your bones brittle. OK. So much for Wolff's Law.

Kind of ironic that you were arguing for effectiveness of IP training, when your whole experience with it resulted in you breaking your fingers.
    Last edited by faxiapreta; 06-14-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by faxiapreta View Post
    Ummm... so doing IP training made your bones brittle. OK. So much for Wolff's Law.
    um, ok, so read, stupid
    Using the wrong jow incorrectly made my bones brittle.
    It was a very caustic, black vinegar based jow that was only supposed to be used sparingly, during final phases of training.
    I soaked my hands in it three times a day in the beginning of my training.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    um, ok, so read, stupid
    Using the wrong jow incorrectly made my bones brittle.
    It was a very caustic, black vinegar based jow that was only supposed to be used sparingly, during final phases of training.
    I soaked my hands in it three times a day in the beginning of my training.
    LOL @ jow seeping through your skin, tendons, muscles, and ligaments doing no damage to them, but somehow destroying your bones.

Um... OK. That sure doesn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by faxiapreta View Post
    Wrong.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    Me: back in '87-92 did a bad version, '95 did a better version, aside form bag wok(gloved and otherwise), don't do it much now, probably will again sometime.
    Did it during my southern days for several years alongside iron body training using wing lams stuff and then my masters jow, stopped and don’t see the point anymore to be honest. I only met one sifu who impressed me with his heavy hands and arms that felt dense and heavy, but how much of that came from his hakka and southern iron practice and how much can from being a sports physio using his hands every day is any ones guess

For me personally I cant see the point these days of training it, its questionable how useful it ever was, questionable if it had an adverse effect into old age on the people doing it, finding good medicine is hard (see this thread and the countless others about frauds in the arts, god knows what they put in their medicines) and the risk reward is these days not worth it for me at any rate, I mean im not looking to kill someone with my hands, when I spar gloves are fine, I hit the bag barehanded to ensure they are toughened should I need to hit on the street but what more do you need? The hardest hitters I know are the pros I have trained with, some have broken hands in the ring wearing gloves some haven’t, a fair few have had more than there fair share of streets fights (MMA and thai does not pay that well in the UK and a lot have worked the doors security etc) and I have heard a lot of stories of bare knuckle knockouts on the street, not too many have talked about breaking hands and that’s without jows and iron hand training