Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: For Gene and the mods...

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    last week someone just tried to back his car onto me when i tried to cross the street, while staring at me. one time a guy was biking past me and told me to get back on the boat.

last month in an elevator a kid said "daddy, theres too many chinamen around here", his dad said "yep" and i just stared at the floor.

so no, i dont get it.
    it's not quite what I was talking about, in terms of your own attachments to cultural identity driving you; but in regards to the ethnic prejudice you experience, that is other people's delusion driving their habitual neurotic behavior; nothing much you can do about changing that, unfortunately - they need to come to an awareness of their own perceptual bias, and most never will;

my "point" was that by framing my dilemma in terms of my distinctions between "mother / not mother", I was operating out of the false assumption of reactivity towards my projection of "mother" , which is an arbitrary delineation when seen in the larger context of things such as they are; similarly, your attachment to the arbitrary notion of cultural / ethnic tradition is what drives you (you may or may not see this as such, of course, and it is not my desire to insult you, so please do not take offense);

and just because something is written down, doesn't make it absolute, even if it's been around for 10,000 years - this is just repetition, not authentication

but dude, all this stuffs I'm talking about, it's from YOUR cultural heritage, taught to me by a Chinese man; isn't that ironic?!?

my point is everybody complains but ross actually has the money and resources and connections to make a difference in chinese martial arts. im saying think about it man. lets say in 10 years. what if, why not

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Razaunida View Post
    I get the racism Bawang, both in the US and when I visit relatives in China. It wears on you.

You want to see Chinese culture respected and yet what Tai Gihk said is also true, losing attachment to form is a way of respecting Chinese tradition.

Another side of me believes it is important to burn money for martial anscestors.
    given your sudden shift away from bat-shiit crazy trolling towards a more reasonable stance, I can assume that either you've started taking your meds again or someone has hacked your account...

my point is everybody complains but ross actually has the money and resources and connections to make a difference in chinese martial arts. im saying think about it man
    1. no, no one can make a difference in "chinese martial ats"

and

2. even assuming I could, why would I want to?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    2. even assuming I could, why would I want to?
    out of love and respect for chinese martial arts and chinese culture

The REAL problem too many Hak Gwai look down on Chinese and feel they can better the chinamens art better than they can.
    Some people's kids!

Quote Originally Posted by V.O.R. View Post
    The REAL problem too many Hak Gwai look down on Chinese and feel they can better the chinamens art better than they can.
    um, you do know what "hak gwai" refers to, right? and that it's not really a nice thing to say at all...

Quote Originally Posted by V.O.R. View Post
    lol, so the problem is Black people?

yeah, this is gonna go well....

...step!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

RE: TCMA and certain behaviour.
    When I started HK a few years ago with my current Sifu, it was as a private student.
    The "ba si" ceremony was mentioned, by me, and he said:
    "I know that you are a Christian and from my nephew I understand that you are a good person and I recall from when we first met, many years ago, that you were young and brash but always good and never got yourself into too much trouble".
    He continued:
    " If you want to, we can discuss it, but I don't think it's for you".
    I voiced my concerns about how I would be treated and looked upon by the other students and he said, " Since you cna kick their ass, why do you care?".
    After laughing WITH him, I explained my feelings and we agreed that, indeed, it wasn't for me but that Me and his students woudl train and MA brothers if not "hung brothers".
    He never kept anything from me.
    His brother, the SPM guy, was even more liberal, focusing only on how much I could give to the training, as well as take from it.

The point being that, not everyone that is old school is totally old school ( They were from Macao so maybe that mattered).
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

its not really about authentic or old school, its about dignity man. the dignity is gone.

fixedemupferya

The REAL problem too many Hak Gwai and [B]Bak GwaIi/B] look down on Chinese and feel they can better the chinamens art better than they can.

tis' ohso true. Bareeve it!
    Some people's kids!

in all fairness Bawang...so can you.

Ross is correct in that he teaches foundation as the most important aspect. That is a great way to have a school, but his teacher had much more to offer and so does he, but it has to come out of that foundation. There are some things that seem stupid on a one on one encounter which make perfect sense when fighting many people.

its not really about authentic or old school, its about dignity man. the dignity is gone.
    Depends where you go.

Your own dignity need never be lost for instance.

an object has no dignity. It's a thing. It is people who embody something that make that something what it is.

The mindset to succeed through difficult effort is what is lacking in my observation.

Especially here. I could give a few examples of how the "take a pill" thinking in western society has blossomed into willful ignorance about how to maintain one's body.

Look at all the stupid and useless diet books and the lies they promise. All the ******* machines that'll rip your abs, and all the other target marketed nonsense aimed directly at dummies and the unsuspecting.

There really is a mentality of "I tried it, but I wasn't really good right away, so I decided it wasn't for me".

Kung Fu isn't crumbling, but western civilization sure is.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    RE: TCMA and certain behaviour.
    When I started HK a few years ago with my current Sifu, it was as a private student.
    The "ba si" ceremony was mentioned, by me, and he said:
    "I know that you are a Christian and from my nephew I understand that you are a good person and I recall from when we first met, many years ago, that you were young and brash but always good and never got yourself into too much trouble".
    He continued:
    " If you want to, we can discuss it, but I don't think it's for you".
    I voiced my concerns about how I would be treated and looked upon by the other students and he said, " Since you cna kick their ass, why do you care?".
    After laughing WITH him, I explained my feelings and we agreed that, indeed, it wasn't for me but that Me and his students woudl train and MA brothers if not "hung brothers".
    He never kept anything from me.
    His brother, the SPM guy, was even more liberal, focusing only on how much I could give to the training, as well as take from it.

The point being that, not everyone that is old school is totally old school ( They were from Macao so maybe that mattered).
    of course you know, this was his way of keeping you "out the door", so he coud keep the "true" teachings from you, right?

with my sifu it was the same way - he has eschewed the "traditional " bai see convention for something else, in terms of his relationship with his students; it's not neat and defined, but it allows for a dynamic evolution over time, in terms of students' comings and goings; as a Taoist, I think he appreciates this much more than superimposing a cultural artifact onto his students, and it actually is very freeing;

Quote Originally Posted by Razaunida View Post
    in all fairness Bawang...so can you.

Ross is correct in that he teaches foundation as the most important aspect. That is a great way to have a school, but his teacher had much more to offer and so does he, but it has to come out of that foundation. There are some things that seem stupid on a one on one encounter which make perfect sense when fighting many people.
    im training hard and im trying to contact people in my hometown. but ross has decades of experience and connectinos and money. he can do way more than i can.