Thread: Forms and meditation

Forms and meditation

I met a karate guy who did 2 hours a meditation a day and has done 10,000 of his entry level forms each.

He moves like he does Taiji. Very skilled....yes thats right Karate.

He credits this training with his ability and wrote a book on kata.

Make you think.

inspired I have been doing standing post and at least 20 forms throughout the day with a special emphasis on breathing.

Is it fight training? No its shadowboxing. I take apart single movements and train them as well as the larger motions.

what have you learned through form practice...again the question is not "what didn't you learn." If you are too stupid to learn then please don't reply. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Razaunida View Post
    I met a karate guy who did 2 hours a meditation a day and has done 10,000 of his entry level forms each.

He moves like he does Taiji. Very skilled....yes thats right Karate.

He credits this training with his ability and wrote a book on kata.

Make you think.

inspired I have been doing standing post and at least 20 forms throughout the day with a special emphasis on breathing.

Is it fight training? No its shadowboxing. I take apart single movements and train them as well as the larger motions.

what have you learned through form practice...again the question is not "what didn't you learn." If you are too stupid to learn then please don't reply. Thank you.

-Structure to structure transitioning.
    -Creating a platform on those structures to deliver attacks and to adequately defend.
    -Essence of the style.
    -Signatures of schools.

Forms also gave me several different techniques to work with from each set.

The sets I learned had directional repetition, so techniques were learned using both sides of the body. Some exercises such as isotonic or isometric portions of sets were repeated several times. A form of body work, sometimes also regarded as hard qigongs within sets.

In another style, the right handedness was favoured entirely in all things.The weapons are all right handed, the hand forms are all right handed.

I learned a few matching sets both hand and weapon. they are good basic sets that if broken to drills first, one could aptly function with free play.

They're a learning tool. I like them. They are a good way to rip out a quick excitement and invigoration of the physical body in turn firing the mind as well.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

1. standing in postures

I pick one or just a few end postures and stand 15 to 25 min.

2. a few moves strung together

I only pick a few moves and repeat them over and over.

I do not do long forms.

---

interesting.

I am also thinking of them more and more as qi gong and have been paying more attention to the breath work.

I also think holding postures and doing a few movements at a time gives you a sold action you can perform, but I also find that the long form give you something of the essence as David was saying.

I am finding that each form allows you to embody a particular message that is maybe not best put into words.

forms/tao lu come in many genres.

1. basic structure/frame, xing jia

2. power frames or jin jia

3. gong frames, gong jia

---

any hoo

one posture at a time, repeat over and over

string a few moves at a time, repeat over and over

---

can you please expand on the three frames?

yes.

1. xing jia

it is to practice to have a right structure.

power and speed are not important.

including stepping and body methods.

2. power frame

specifically to practice to develop power

generating, transferring and expressing, such as chan si or silk reeling

3. gong jia

this is a combination of all of the above and more.

---