Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Afghanistan

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    - I'm here for a year

- Nothing I can talk about

- I am really just trying to keep people alive long enough for them to change things, and giving them what they need to know to act against the threat (which is EVERYWHERE)

It's a very dangerous place here, and there are a lot of moving pieces by other "players".
    It's a **** hole, always has been and probably always will be.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

- I'm here for a year

- Nothing I can talk about

- I am really just trying to keep people alive long enough for them to change things, and giving them what they need to know to act against the threat (which is EVERYWHERE)

It's a very dangerous place here, and there are a lot of moving pieces by other "players".
    was restrepo an accurate portrayal of what its like there??? way diff than iraq huh???

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    was restrepo an accurate portrayal of what its like there??? way diff than iraq huh???
    I just spent the last week living down at the city police headquarters. No, no movie will EVER get this crap down right.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

I just spent the last week living down at the city police headquarters. No, no movie will EVER get this crap down right.
    wasnt a movie... you guys abandoned that valley right??? do you know the camp restrepo story?

I understand where you are coming from.
    No movie or documentary ever got Bosnia right.
    Watch your six bro.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Drake are you doing logistics on the withdrawal for the year?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Drake are you doing logistics on the withdrawal for the year?
    I don't touch logistics. I have a much different job.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

- I am really just trying to keep people alive long enough for them to change things,
    What changes do you think are being made that wont be swept away as soon as we leave?
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    What changes do you think are being made that wont be swept away as soon as we leave?
    who says we're leaving?

I don't doubt there will be mercs/private contractors present for the foreseeable future.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    who says we're leaving?

I don't doubt there will be mercs/private contractors present for the foreseeable future.
    What are you talking about? I've been in town every day... not a single "merc" in sight. It's all Afghan-led here. This isn't Iraq. The ABP, ANA, and ANP are holding their own, and then some. Sad that the amazing things they do never make the news, and instead we get overinflated, pretty much lies about what really happened. Guess tragedy sells better than triumph.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

The SEO fully intends to step into Afghanistan the second the NATO types leave. Considering the two biggest motives of the SEO are regional stability and profit I expect they'll try to keep a lid on things.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Everyone here is thinking western-style...what western entities will do, and how western entities will profit. It isn't going to work like that, unless of course, some key Afghan players get a cut.

Everyone is forgetting that these Afghan powerbrokers have their own plans for the country, and most of them have international, and VERY powerful connections. Even NATO is getting punched in the pee pee when they go against the flow. That includes US forces.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

What are you talking about? I've been in town every day... not a single "merc" in sight. It's all Afghan-led here. This isn't Iraq. The ABP, ANA, and ANP are holding their own, and then some. Sad that the amazing things they do never make the news, and instead we get overinflated, pretty much lies about what really happened. Guess tragedy sells better than triumph.
    You saying Xe isn't in there? Karzai got kiboshed on kickin them out in March of this year, they are still there.

I have no doubt we are fed steaming piles of crap from our western propo machines.

Not to mention, Xe aren't the only merc org there. there are others, some have been disbanded due to nepotism etc.

this is recent:
    Karzai had already conceded that embassies and Nato, which rely on private guards to protect supply convoys, could continue to use security companies. But questions remained over development projects, such as road construction, that the US regard as essential for winning over ordinary Afghans.

Under the new plan companies guarding reconstruction projects will be able to have 500 of their own guards, or up to 1,000 if they pay a one-off fine.

For contracts requiring more than that the companies will be expected to recruit, train, arm and pay new APPF guards who will then take control of the contract after 12 months.

If the APPF proves not up to the job the private company will continue to be in control, according to the draft proposal. Many officials think that is likely.
    Is APPF just a safe blanket for a lot of mercs?
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 06-24-2011 at 06:41 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Everyone here is thinking western-style...what western entities will do, and how western entities will profit. It isn't going to work like that, unless of course, some key Afghan players get a cut.
    Um... You do know who the SEO are right?

You know that Afghanistan asked for observer status in the SEO this year right? And that most predictions is that it'll be a gimmie for them to get that status.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

I don't care what the news says. At all. Convoy security? What convoys? NATO hangs out on KAF, spending most of their days on the Boardwalk.

If there is a private security firm making $$, it's more PAK than AFG. Every contractor here is either for training or for logistical support. They are making a ton of money, but it isn't through security.

Again... I don't care what the news says. I only see ABP, ANA, and ANP. And I see them everywhere. And it's cheaper to get local security here anyway... ie what we use for KAF.

Really... don't trust the news. They are wrong.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown