Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: females in traditional chinese martial arts

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    in traditional chinese training the teacher brutally beats his students. thats why women dont train kung fu

in the ancient chinese army if you lose in sparring too much you are tied up and whipped then expelled. how the hell can you expect women to train that?

general qijiguang wrote that his soldiers were so eager to cut the heads off of the fallen enemy he had to discipline them and assign specific people for head cutting. you think women can survive that world?
    one of the reasons some brutal training strategies were modified and rules were made to make competitions safer is b/c people who were training were simply getting dis-abled and killed.

bawang, would YOU or many of the guys you train with be willing to go through that kind of training today? if you say yes, then hats off to you, you are truly a badass. if not, then does this mean you are not a real manly man?

i don't think cutting off heads is a tradition we want to hold onto, do you?

my guess is that many men in the "modern world" of today would not train in chinese KF either if this were still the case. it's a new generation as my shifu would say.... on a broader scale, most people (including men) don't train to the same extent as they used to like the ancient times. so the concern among traditional chinese martial artists, at least from what i've read, is that the quality of our art is diminishing.. most of us have day jobs and simply don't have the time either. so, you'll have sifu's like dr. yang jwing-ming who creates a camp of disciples, a 10 year program, with the intent of training like they did in the ancient times... but it will never match the brutality of the training of the past.
    Last edited by Jian; 06-16-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jian View Post

i'm no historian
    then i will enlighten you.

do you know the punishment for talking outloud while marching? beheading. . failure to salute battalion elder leads to behedaing.

misplacing gunpowder for mountain piercing rifle, multi rifle and dutch rifle is beheading.

if the squad elder dies in battle the entire squad is beheaded. if the battalion elder dies in battle every squad elder is beheaded.

if you hesitating an order for more than a few seconds the squad elder must cut off your ear. after the battle anyone with missing ears is to be beheaded.

you think women can survive in that world?

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Yes they can.

Sun Zi proved it.

Of course he killed one of them to make his point.

bawang, would YOU or many of the guys you train with be willing to go through that kind of training today? does this make you any less of a martial artist? hmm.

my guess is that many men in the "modern world" of today would not train in chinese KF either if this were still the case. it's a new generation as my shifu would say.... on a broader scale, most people (including men) don't train to the same extent as they used to like the ancient times. so the concern among traditional chinese martial artists, at least from what i've read, is that the quality of our art is diminishing.. most of us have day jobs and simply don't have the time either. so, you'll have sifu's like dr. yang jwing-ming who creates a camp of disciples, a 10 year program, with the intent of training like they did in the ancient times... but it will never match the brutality of the training of the past.
    im sorry to inform your pasty white ass but yes, traditional teachers beat their students all the time in china.

you can often hear shaolin tourists complain of "child abuse" when they visit near denfeng.

yang jwing ming doesnt do it because hes a conman, and even if he did it his students would sue him to kingdom come.
    Last edited by bawang; 06-16-2011 at 09:31 PM.

this is modern times and you can do whatever you want. but dont push your moral decay and cultural void onto old world cultures.

chinese martial art is a contest of manliness

im sorry to inform your pasty white ass but yes, traditional teachers beat their students all the time in china.

you can often hear shaolin tourists complain of "child abuse" when they visit near denfeng.

yang jwing ming doesnt do it because hes a conman, and even if he did it his students would sue him to kingdom come.
    again, u keep talking about whether "women" can survive that. and my question is would YOU survive that.

yes i would. my teacher beat me and thats the way its suppsoed to be done. it toughens you up

my iranian friend did zurkaneh, his sufi teacher beat him. my indian friend did pahlawani and his guru also beat him. its a way of life for MEN.

this is modern times and you can do whatever you want. but dont push your moral decay and cultural void onto old world cultures.

chinese martial art is a contest of manliness
    hey, i'm not here to convince you to change your mind, nor anyone who doesn't see the value of women in martial arts. it's ur choice who you choose to train with.

as for pushing my "moral decay" and "cultural void", i don't think you get to define what is moral and cultural when it comes to chinese culture.. and you certainly don't get to define it from someone like me who who comes from that culture.

whether you like it or not, the general trend in this country is more women are participating in chinese martial arts than in the past, that number is growing, and there aint nothing you, bawang, can do about it, dude.

as for pushing my "moral decay" and "cultural void", i don't think you get to define what is moral and cultural when it comes to chinese culture.. and you certainly don't get to define it from someone like me who who comes from that culture.
    you are chilese? where you from?

whether you like it or not, the general trend in this country is more women are participating in chinese martial arts than in the past, that number is growing, and there aint nothing you, bawang, can do about it, dude.
    i dont know if you noticed but kung fu is a joke in the entire world, its been dead for decades

you are chilese? where you from?

i dont know if you noticed but kung fu is a joke in the entire world, its been dead for decades
    i'm from taipei.

Jian is not Chinese. Period.

Doesn't think like a Chinese man and maybe is a she and her family came from guangzhou a hundred years ago.

香蕉人。

i'm from taipei.
    this is the reason i get to decide what is chinese culture, what is chinese martial art, and you dont.

i am from the hometown of northern shaolin teacher guruzhang. i am from the countryside. you are a uppity city chinese from taiwan, and its debatable that you are even chinese at all.

i know my provinces sanda champion and my provinces ex wushu chairman. you know yang jwing ming.

this is the reason i get to decide what is chinese culture, what is chinese martial art, and you dont.

I am from the hometown of northern shaolin teacher guruzhang. I am from the countryside. You are a uppity city chinese from taiwan.
    我真的不相信你是华人。 你的想法像美国同性恋的想法。 肯定不是男人。

im sorry to tell you but tradition is very much alive. there are people that still wouldnt teach people outside their province, their town even. theres places where its more important to train martial arts than to read.

white lotus is alive, plum flower is alive, all the old trappings and superstitions are alive. you are not continuing their legacy, they are not your ancestors . they have nothing to do with you. you are not even part of their world.
    Last edited by bawang; 06-16-2011 at 09:57 PM.

more women are doing wushu. And Taiwanese men count as women.

Performance beauty contests are not manly they are geh and disgraceful.

What district are you from in Taipei? I have family in Taipei and TaiZhong. I dont' believe you are really Chinese at all, I believe that you majored in sociology and wymins studies at berkley where you joined the wushu prancing club.