Quote Originally Posted by Jian View Post
thanks for confirming. living in the U.S. and based on my exposure too... most native speakers of chinese i know, or those immigrate from chinese speaking countries later in life don't go around bragging that they know chinese.. to them it's just normal. it's easy to tell when one's level of chinese is "elementary".

just a general comment about trolling and how i chose to handle it..

a troll can be someone who got banned previously, a completely new member, a current established member who wants to take more risks through an alias.. it can be anyone and any made up identity.

but anyway, once i've determined that someone's main purpose for posting is to make personal attacks and not contribute usefully to a discussion, i chose to ignore it. don't even bother reading past their name. once we've established who is a troll, i think personal attacks towards them is then a waste of time. it's too easy to for them to create a new name and do the same thing over again under a new alias. giving a troll more attention is exactly what they want. that's probably all i need to say about that. thanks for posting.

What exactly have you contributed? BTW I never took a class of Chinese in my life. I see many ABC's who claim all sorts of Asian pride and can't say a word of Chinese. They don't think the culture. That is fine, they are American, but when the same people try to set themselves apart and try to represent themselves as Chinese I always feel like they are more Amy Tan. Good, but they often idealize the old country culture according to modern western norms. This is what is happening here.