Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MMA Amateur Fight

MMA Amateur Fight

Earlier I said some stuff about a couple guys I train with entering a local amateur MMA fight. Brandon my training partner who has been in Wing Chun longer than I was told by his boss that he couldn't fight. They are afraid he would miss work if injured or some bull. Juan a guy we have been teaching for awhile now is still planning to fight. He has not learned Chum Kiu yet just past his first test really but has experience in actual fights. The fight is this Saturday im going if I can and plan to try and record his fight if possible. I was going to see about getting in his corner but I was told you have to register or some crap. Never done this before loads of rules and junk. I was told you must win 4 armature fights to be in pro fights. Elbows and such are limited to pro..... and there are no open hand strikes allowed. I haven't got a clue anyway I hope he does well some of these guys im told use mostly grappling we will see. In any case I don't see him going down easily.

I wish him the best of luck, and hope it's a good fight.

Regardless of if he wins or looses, it will be a great learning experience.

Best of luck to you all.

I don't care if he wins but if he losses he has to answer to me LOL. Well im not sure whats going on last night Brandon my training partner went to sign up to be in Juan's corner and now he has posted on Facebook he is going to fight. So I don't know if maybe someone else dropped out and they needed him so he just went for it or if he decided to say screw what my boss said. He called me at 9pm but I work odd hours and was in bed. I guess I will know tomorrow fights at 7pm there will be 13 fighters I believe all amateur. Im hopping to film our guys for fun but as many know people see Wing Chun fighters in MMA and say things like thats not Wing Chun or other crap. Of course I don't stick to just chain punching or strait punches anyway. I use hooks and stuff as well when I feel like it. Anyway I hope they do well as far as I know no one outside of the local MMA school has any clue who we are.

Well when I can I will post the video of the 2 fights. It didn't go as I had hopped Brandon lost his fight by tap out. Shortly after they started Brandon got a cut over his eye from his opponents gloves. In my video you can't see much but on his wife's you see more but I can't seem to play her video on my computer. Brandon goes in and they end up grabbing each other. Brandon had him an was punching the guy but the guy spun them and fell to the ground with Brandon under him. They eventually moved up to the cage and I could only see their feet for awhile. Sometime in the scuffle Brandon got cut and as they were wrestling he got the guy in a Guillotine Choke. Brandon was struggling to see because blood was running into his eyes and then he messed up and tapped because he wasn't able to see much. I asked a few people about Vaseline for his face but someone said it was someone at the cage that would do this before the fight and it wasn't done. We talked to the guy he had fought I was unable to see the end because I was in the wrong place but he told Brandon he almost tapped himself because of the Guillotine. Other than the cut and a bit of a red eye he was fine. The fight lasted 2 minutes.

Juan's fight wasn't great he was pushed up against the cage and although had openings for elbow strikes they weren't allowed. One guy was nearly disqualified for using an elbow. The fight opened with Juan throwing a right round kick to the guys leg then it went to the fence. Juan was trying to keep the guy off him but kept grabbing the fence which isn't allowed. It looked to me Juan was about to elbow the guy and he told me he was but then remembered we can't. They went down and Juan was trying to block his punches but he ended up beating Juan with a Kimura.

They seemed to be ok with their loss Juan may fight again Brandon im not sure about. Brandon said he screwed up because he was thinking to much about what moves he was allowed to use and he didn't care for the hand wraps and gloves. He was confused about the rules I was having to tell him things several times before the fight. Juan didn't have a mark on him but the guy he fought was cut a bit about the face. Many of the fighters were in the bathroom puking after their fights not sure how normal that is. Brandon said a few guys said they were surprised they didn't look like they had been fighting. Only a few fights went to the 3rd round most of the guys were fairly bruised. One guy got kicked in the groin and it broke his cup. Over all Brandon was shocked at how battered the other fighters were after their fights and was a bit angry that he tapped because of the blood in his eyes. He could have won if he had held on but it's his first MMA fight.

The last fight a guy kicked his opponent in the head with a round kick surprisingly he stayed standing it popped loud enough for me to hear. In the end the guy who was kicked won by getting the guy down and eventually while shoved against the fence got a Rear Naked. I couldn't believe the dude took that kick it didn't seem to faze him even the dude who kicked him seemed shocked. As I was walking out after the fight I heard him Shout an F bomb. I now know whats going on we didn't get many strait answers. I asked about the Vaseline and was told someone else would put that on. If I had got that on Brandon he may have won his fight I did get it on Juan after. One guy didn't even bring a cup and had to borrow Brandon's because he didn't know he needed it LOL. This was the 3rd cage fight we have had there is another in September I hope they fight in. Maybe then we will be better prepared now that we know what we need.
    Last edited by wolf3001; 06-19-2011 at 01:11 AM.

no offense but it sounds like they actually need a fight coach if they are going to fight again and train at a proper gym that regularly fights, both seem unprepared ie not knowing the rules or not training towards them, not knowing how to work against the cage, not being properly perpared vaseline etc, not being used to the gloves or wraps

the reason the other guys looked like they had been in a fight and all bashed up was well...then didnt tap under the 2 min mark and actually were in fights

props to them for stepping up but in all honesty I blame their teacher not them for not perparing them
    Last edited by Frost; 06-19-2011 at 05:50 AM.

We are new to trying MMA and don't plan to make a habit out of this. We don't train with gloves unless we are really sparring and even then it's a bit of a pain. Juan kept grabbing the fence keeping his opponent from taking him down but was finally stopped by the ref and he went down. He was frustrated because the guy's back was completely exposed and he raised his arm to elbow then remembered he couldn't. Juan has no ground experience nor really do I or Brandon. Our teacher is not in favor of us doing this and we only did it for the hell of it we are not an MMA gym. There is only a few here doing MMA and this is the 3rd fight here in Garden City Kansas. To my knowledge none of them are really pro fighters as I would see it. I don't think many of them have done this for much over 3 years. They plan to try again they have a better understanding of it now and maybe next time they wont think so much or be as nervous. These guys have both been in actual fights just not in a caged in sports venue. Juan is fairly new to Wing Chun he was more of a brawler when I first met him he has become a lot more skilled. Brandon was just to confused about the rules and ended up just not using what he knows. Im a bit angry with him for not sticking to his training. I know he can do much better than what he did. I expected it from Juan but not Brandon.

Brandon's opponent told us he was ready to tap almost but then Brandon let loose. He was blinded by blood from a cut over his eye and at the end of the fight it covered half his face the wound was small and just needed wiped off. The guy started wailing on him after he let up and Brandon just tapped he didn't see any point to trying when he couldn't see and get pummeled for no reason. Hindsight is always 20/20 as they say Brandon should have tightened up his hold and the fight would have been his. Juan was just screwed I did what I could to get them prepared but they didn't really know what they were getting into and Brandon is fairly hard headed. He expected to be able to use elbows and have more use of his hands. Im not sure how bad it was but he said he didn't think he could really Lap Sau or anything with all the wrapping and gloves. I told Juan earlier to stick to basics Biu Sau, Pak, Gan. In the end Brandon punched the guy multiple times while holding him in a head lock then kneed the guy after that the guy took it to the ground and Brandon got him in a choke. I just can't believe he let go...... He isn't happy with himself now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drN8D3vCwn0

Quote Originally Posted by wolf3001 View Post
    We are new to trying MMA and don't plan to make a habit out of this. We don't train with gloves unless we are really sparring and even then it's a bit of a pain. Juan kept grabbing the fence keeping his opponent from taking him down but was finally stopped by the ref and he went down. He was frustrated because the guy's back was completely exposed and he raised his arm to elbow then remembered he couldn't. Juan has no ground experience nor really do I or Brandon. Our teacher is not in favor of us doing this and we only did it for the hell of it we are not an MMA gym. There is only a few here doing MMA and this is the 3rd fight here in Garden City Kansas. To my knowledge none of them are really pro fighters as I would see it. I don't think many of them have done this for much over 3 years. They plan to try again they have a better understanding of it now and maybe next time they wont think so much or be as nervous. These guys have both been in actual fights just not in a caged in sports venue. Juan is fairly new to Wing Chun he was more of a brawler when I first met him he has become a lot more skilled. Brandon was just to confused about the rules and ended up just not using what he knows. Im a bit angry with him for not sticking to his training. I know he can do much better than what he did. I expected it from Juan but not Brandon.

Brandon's opponent told us he was ready to tap almost but then Brandon let loose. He was blinded by blood from a cut over his eye and at the end of the fight it covered half his face the wound was small and just needed wiped off. The guy started wailing on him after he let up and Brandon just tapped he didn't see any point to trying when he couldn't see and get pummeled for no reason. Hindsight is always 20/20 as they say Brandon should have tightened up his hold and the fight would have been his. Juan was just screwed I did what I could to get them prepared but they didn't really know what they were getting into and Brandon is fairly hard headed. He expected to be able to use elbows and have more use of his hands. Im not sure how bad it was but he said he didn't think he could really Lap Sau or anything with all the wrapping and gloves. I told Juan earlier to stick to basics Biu Sau, Pak, Gan. In the end Brandon punched the guy multiple times while holding him in a head lock then kneed the guy after that the guy took it to the ground and Brandon got him in a choke. I just can't believe he let go...... He isn't happy with himself now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drN8D3vCwn0
    no offense but he was doing that choke whilst being mount it was never going to work as he didnt have control of the guys hips, he was game but had no clue on the ground

Until your teacher has you sparring with gloves, training on the ground ad against a cage wall, he has no business sending you out there to fight

expecting to be able to use elbows, not being used to gloves and wraps, having no clinch or ground game.....its almost criminal its not there fault its who ever sent them in

Please do yourselves a favor and do the following two things:

1) Go train with a local MMA club that has pro fighters and ring/cage experience at least. Many clubs would be happy to have another team train with them. Ask lots of questions regarding simple things like hand wrapping, gloves, fight prep conditioning including weight management, nutrition, perioditization up to fights, local amateur and pro rules, cage management, etc.

2) Ask a pro fighter to corner your guys with you. As a corner construct a corner kit that has basic medical supplies and other necessary stuff which would include vaseline. (Ask a pro MMA team what to put in there).

Please don't approach next fights the way you did this one. I do see this in amateur matches all the time and it's really bad. You really risk serious injury and complications that could be avoided with your approach that are totally unnecessary with proper preparation and training.

Not to be too harsh - I mean props for your guys to want to test themselves out. Just take a little bit more prep time to do some smart things first.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf3001 View Post
    We are new to trying MMA and don't plan to make a habit out of this. We don't train with gloves unless we are really sparring and even then it's a bit of a pain.
    Train more with gloves and you will get better.

Brandon's opponent told us he was ready to tap almost but then Brandon let loose.

Hindsight is always 20/20 as they say Brandon should have tightened up his hold and the fight would have been his.
    No, you won't get someone to tap when you are holding a guillotine and he is mounted on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Please do yourselves a favor and do the following two things:

1) Go train with a local MMA club that has pro fighters and ring/cage experience at least. Many clubs would be happy to have another team train with them. Ask lots of questions regarding simple things like hand wrapping, gloves, fight prep conditioning including weight management, nutrition, perioditization up to fights, local amateur and pro rules, cage management, etc.

2) Ask a pro fighter to corner your guys with you. As a corner construct a corner kit that has basic medical supplies and other necessary stuff which would include vaseline. (Ask a pro MMA team what to put in there).

Please don't approach next fights the way you did this one. I do see this in amateur matches all the time and it's really bad. You really risk serious injury and complications that could be avoided with your approach that are totally unnecessary with proper preparation and training.

Not to be too harsh - I mean props for your guys to want to test themselves out. Just take a little bit more prep time to do some smart things first.
    I'm with Dave on this one, I went to do sanda with my WC training and was pretty out of my element. Spent an invaluable 4-5 months at a thai gym which totally changed the way I approach any similar type of event.

You want to do MMA? Spend some time at an MMA school - they're going to be the best at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    I'm with Dave on this one, I went to do sanda with my WC training and was pretty out of my element. Spent an invaluable 4-5 months at a thai gym which totally changed the way I approach any similar type of event.

You want to do MMA? Spend some time at an MMA school - they're going to be the best at it.
    Yeh, good advice from all above.
    You just cant beat experience. Period.

So Eric, what were some of the key things you learnt doing MT?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Yeh, good advice from all above.
    You just cant beat experience. Period.

So Eric, what were some of the key things you learnt doing MT?
    Hey Glenn,

The gym had a number of really decent fighters (and still does I’d bet) some of the things I learned from them are pretty common to most fight sports, but not usually TMA.

- Nutrition
    - Cardiovascular Conditioning
    - Rest/workout scheduling
    - Injury care/prevention
    - Mental Game/preparation
    - Ring strategy
    - Picking your sparring partners carefully
    - How to maneuver in 12-14oz boxing gloves – something that big sends a lot of WC out the window.

Before my sanda match I had too short of a lead-up time, so I over-trained and could barely use my arms due to some bad tendonitis by the time the comp rolled around. Then the week before, I had a guy (who purportedly had some unknown personal problem with me) hit me after the bell during training and break my nose. Don’t know that I would have won even without those complications, but felt like they prevented me from giving a good fight that I could be proud of.

Out of all the things I learned at the Thai Gym, the conditioning and mental game was the most valuable. If I can get a block of time without distraction, I’d like to make a run for another comp and see what difference it makes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    Hey Glenn,

The gym had a number of really decent fighters (and still does I’d bet) some of the things I learned from them are pretty common to most fight sports, but not usually TMA.

- Nutrition
    - Cardiovascular Conditioning
    - Rest/workout scheduling
    - Injury care/prevention
    - Mental Game/preparation
    - Ring strategy
    - Picking your sparring partners carefully
    - How to maneuver in 12-14oz boxing gloves – something that big sends a lot of WC out the window.

Before my sanda match I had too short of a lead-up time, so I over-trained and could barely use my arms due to some bad tendonitis by the time the comp rolled around. Then the week before, I had a guy (who purportedly had some unknown personal problem with me) hit me after the bell during training and break my nose. Don’t know that I would have won even without those complications, but felt like they prevented me from giving a good fight that I could be proud of.

Out of all the things I learned at the Thai Gym, the conditioning and mental game was the most valuable. If I can get a block of time without distraction, I’d like to make a run for another comp and see what difference it makes.
    Thanks Eric
    So did you attempt to "blend", for want of another word, MT and WC technique??

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Thanks Eric
    So did you attempt to "blend", for want of another word, MT and WC technique??
    I think if you're going to compete in Sanda, you don't have a choice. The ruleset is basically kickboxing + throws, wherein a lot of WC things (like using your forearm to stop a takedown) are pretty highly discouraged if not outright illegal.

I think WC is much better showcased in things like MMA and the man-up stand-up events that have been posted here. Personally I'd be doing MMA if I ever found enough hours to train some grappling.

That's why, even with the loss, I think the OP's friends are on the right track. they just need some better coaching for the arena they want to enter.