Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hung Gar in MMA

Hung Gar in MMA

Quote Originally Posted by faxiapreta View Post
    So which is hung gar, this one that you posted or the one's I posted with all the "masters"?
    faxiapreta , now you know it all depends on how good the fighter is , the hung gar man over the other fighter .

Nice clip Si-Hing. Surprisingly, this is the first time I've seen this entire clip.

I wanted to comment on the Muay Thai comparison. I don't know MT so I can't say how close or not it is but what O does is 100% TCMA up until he goes to the ground. Let's break it down.

Opponent charges, he counters with a front thrust kick. Done in TCMA style with body weight centered (not leaning back). This prevents the forward force from knocking O over.

O subtly shifts to the outside gate. He does not make a big movement that would allow his opponent to follow. Classic Hung Gar strategy.

O attacks the base and IMMEDIATELY follows up with a strike to the head. The kick is not meant to kill the leg. Notice he doesn't have a complete follow through on the kick. It is meant to disrupt the root (which it did). Again, classic Hung Gar strategy.

O then does gwa choi, ping choi. He calls it the pinoy combo but it is also the exact combo repeated many times in the first HaSayFu set. I don't think I have seen MT throw this the way it is thrown but as noted, I can't speak for MT. It's this combo that dazes the opponent. The claw did not strike the eyes. It's arguable that it didn't connect with much force. So for the cheating comments, take a closer look. Nothing there was illegal or even unsportsmanlike.

At that point, O goes to MMA mode and uses his wrestling training to take him down, mount and GnP to tap out. If O had thrown him to the ground without going down, that would would have been TCMA style but not suited for the competition.

I also want to comment on something that always comes up on these "hung gar" fighting clips. "Where is the bridging Hung Gar is so famous for?" or "See, you can't bridge in a real fight" This fight was short but the bridging concept was there. That's the real reason you disrupt the base and attack high. You expect the opponent to block but now with a compromised base. That would be the bridge. It's also why you don't fake the bridging attack. If he doesn't block and build the bridge, you hit him and make him pay for it.

Whew, I haven't posted in a while and I come out with a long one. I just got excited to see a clip of brother O. I will note, while I'm not a forms junkie, I don't think Ray would look at me and say I'm a fighter. I have sparred many times outside of TCMA (with O even) but never in competition. My comments are my own and may differ from what O thinks.

Look forward to any discussion this causes. Not sure how relevant it is to MMA. I think this belongs in the southern forum.

I like it better on the MMA forum than the Southern forum

Admittedly, it could go either way, but the MMA forum needs a little more traditional luv than the Southern forum, which is drenched with it, so I'm leaving this here for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Subitai View Post
    Hey Gene Si Hing!
    Only for you man...do I come out to play.
    Good to know, bro, good to know.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Red face

I defer to your greater wisdom, si-hing. Let's give the MMA forum a little traditional love.

Looks more like a one night stand though.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I prefer to look at it as, "Friends with Benefits."
    (dieu pung-yao)
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by hasayfu View Post

I also want to comment on something that always comes up on these "hung gar" fighting clips. "Where is the bridging Hung Gar is so famous for?" or "See, you can't bridge in a real fight" This fight was short but the bridging concept was there. That's the real reason you disrupt the base and attack high. You expect the opponent to block but now with a compromised base. That would be the bridge. It's also why you don't fake the bridging attack. If he doesn't block and build the bridge, you hit him and make him pay for it.
    That's the thing. Too many people thing that the bridge is extending the forearms.
    There are many ways to bridge, and many types of bridges. Anytime you connect with your opponent, for any period of time, (a milisecond is a period of time) you bridge.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by hasayfu View Post
    Looks more like a one night stand though.
    I knew it!!!!!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.