Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hung Gar in MMA

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    So which is hung gar, this one that you posted or the one's I posted with all the "masters"?

I love Muay Thai, but if you want to talk about badass, try some Burmese Bando. Same thing but with headbutts and in some cases, no rule on the number of knockdowns allowed per round.

If you want something badder than that, get a gun or come train Hung Gar .
    -Golden Arms-

.... you do know burmese always lose to thais

muay thai thai rules favor thais
    Last edited by bawang; 06-17-2011 at 02:05 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    .... you do know burmese always lose to thais

muay thai thai rules favor thais
    In Thailand, yes. In Burma its usually the opposite from what I recall. Likely both grab disadvantaged fighters to fight their own. Nonetheless, having seen Burmese arts in action, those guys are tough as nails as are the Muay Thai guys at Lumpini and Ratchadomneon.
    -Golden Arms-

letwei looks more energetic and fast paced but i really enjoy watching both kinds.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by faxiapreta View Post
    So which is hung gar, this one that you posted or the one's I posted with all the "masters"?
    All the masters ??
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by faxiapreta View Post
    Methinks the people who think hung gar is like Muay Thai need to check this out:

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=60878
    Methinks the people who don't know anything about Chinese martial arts yet volunteer scads of bs about them should go find a quiet corner, take a rope with them and hang themselves.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    .youtube.com/watch?v=EuI3sRvt5eA&feature=feedrec_grec_index[/url]
    this was noice.Always had an interest in hung gar

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Have to give credit where credit is do... it was definitely the tiger claw to the face (illegal strike) that disoriented the other guy... a finger probably got into his eye and teared soft tissue.

Judging by the fighter's build and how he took the back, I would guess he also trains wrestling.

To me, this demonstrates more the effectiveness of eye strikes, especially when they're not expected because they're illegal in that venue, than of Hung Gar... that was one of the most fit and fighter built Hung Gar guys I've seen.

Street fight scenario I'd have to say well done.

If he got away with it in the cage, racked up a win... good for him. But, he'll always know it was a win by cheating, and that will always leave doubt.

Sport makes things tougher if you're honest and fair.

My shidi O

I'm moving this to our MMA forum (I was going to move it to our southern forum but then thought better of it). Maybe he'll chime in on this thread. He's not as active here nowadays as he used to be.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Blog Entries
    Hey Gene Si Hing!
    Only for you man...do I come out to play.

I had thought that my description in the "Show More" section of the actual YT vid. would pretty much sum up my feelings.

As to Ray,
    I have to say that you saying that I'd feel like a cheater was never a concern for me. It was an open hand palm strike to the side of the face at best...Meant only to dissorient. That is not illegal not even in modern MMA. So Please don't assume anything.
    Trying to use animals or some strange sh!T like that was never on my mind. Only the Kung fu basic of just setting the guy up and getting to the target was all that was important at the time.

Rather, it was more the "Cross-Back Fist" (pinoy combo) & after a simple left reverse punch (with rear foot flat on ground of TCMA) to the EAR that helped the most. Once a guy is hurt he's obviously easier to take down.

Once down it was just ground and pound...nothing fancy.

I make NO dilusions of trying to say that a TMA like Hung Gar has ground fighting. IMO it doesn't, but it to me it has good stand up if you know how. At least I feel I do.

It was 16 yrs ago, i've never shown it to anyone untill recently. Like most people I guess I didn't like what I saw in my earlier days. I thought I could do better. But just like the sport of MMA has matured, I believe so have I. My understanding of how to fight with Hung has improved allot. I don't consider myself a forms junkie. I like to apply, it's what I believe i'm good at.

But as I said in another forum: "The funny thing is, the better a person gets...the LESS they have to prove"
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

that back fist was identical to the one i just learned in the hung chuan from my teacher. you know that referee is bruce leeroy from the last dragon?

I certainly didn't want to imply that you are a form junkie.... even if I didn't see the footage of you in the cage, just by seeing your build I know you're a fighter.

The footage I saw was misleading. I saw one engagement, a guy go down, you follow him down well.... and then everyone on their feet. I see everyone walking around (obviously no choke out or KO) but don't see the ref raise anyone's hand.... in the slow motion, from what I saw, I saw fingers curled in, claw like... from all that data I assumed the other fighter claimed foul/finger jab.

So, how did it end? Did I miss something on the video? Was that a KO? Or did the ref stop it?

Went to check the link again, to refresh my memory, but the video has been replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    I certainly didn't want to imply that you are a form junkie.... even if I didn't see the footage of you in the cage, just by seeing your build I know you're a fighter.

The footage I saw was misleading. I saw one engagement, a guy go down, you follow him down well.... and then everyone on their feet. I see everyone walking around (obviously no choke out or KO) but don't see the ref raise anyone's hand.... in the slow motion, from what I saw, I saw fingers curled in, claw like... from all that data I assumed the other fighter claimed foul/finger jab.

So, how did it end? Did I miss something on the video? Was that a KO? Or did the ref stop it?
    I believe the fight was done after the GnP.
    Subitai..who just posted is the individual we are talking about here.

I understand he now harpoons snow whales with giant icicles.
    Hard man.

lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.