Thread: TCM Guys

TCM Guys

I'm interested in learning a little(for now) about traditional chinese medicine. Mostly because i'm not really a fan of modern medicine(due to personal and familial experiences) and i'd like to find a more holistic approach to the simpler ailments.

I'll obviously go to the doctor when it is warranted, but I why take myself, my wife, or my kids to the doctor when they are capable of handling say, a sickness, on their own with a little help?

Anyhow, i'm wondering if you guys have any resources that will help with the TCM approach to simple things.
    Last edited by JamesC; 05-05-2011 at 12:04 PM.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Being that I am getting my MAOM(Masters in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine) in August, how could I be of service?
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Thanks for your help again Dale, lol

As I was explaining to another forum member here, i'm really just looking for somewhere to start. Kind of overwhelming with all the information out there.

My intention is just get my family to adopt a more holistic approach to these things in order to keep them from always wanting to run to the doctor if they have a runny nose.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

there's a book called "a tooth from the tiger's mouth" which is a good intro TCM. it's focus is on sports (martial arts) injuries, but it still lays forth the principals of TCM is a manner that is clear yet detailed.

James,

Are you wanting to treat you and your family by yourself. Or are you looking for a decent local practitioner who can help you?

As mentioned about Tom Bisio's book has some good concepts to learn.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

James --> There are two good reference sources that I highly recommend to you. It will be a first step for you towards understanding Chinese Medicine, which will be very useful in planning out how to take care of both yourself and your family holistically/naturally. Pretty much the way how things are done in China, and how I was raised.

These books are:

1. Between Heaven and Earth (Harriet Beinfield and Efrem Korngold)
    --> this will give a good introduction into Chinese Medicine and its foundation.... well written in easy-to-understand layman's terms with nice refer back to Western
    --> it is a book that I frequently recommend to my patients to read (I get a lot of requests from patients who, like yourself, are interested in helping to take more control over their individual health maintenance rather than rely on drugs)

2. Chinese System of Natural Cures (Henry Lu)
    --> In this book, Henry does a wonderful job in explaining the foundations of Chinese Medicine along with its perspective towards the causes of illnesses. He also presents some very natural, day-to-day natural remedies utilizing foods, herbs, exercises, etc. to address a lot of common ailments (headaches, stress, etc.)
    --> He did a great job compiling these remedies, some of which I recognize as my own family used them on me when I was growing up in China

Hope this was useful. Best of luck in your quest.
    The more you know, the more you find you don't know...