Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know Dog Style?

Anyone know Dog Style?

Does anyone here have experience in Dog Style? Im looking for application type videos something thats not all Wushu demo stuff. It's fairly rare but im wanting to see more realistic applications.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf3001 View Post
    Does anyone here have experience in Dog Style? Im looking for application type videos something thats not all Wushu demo stuff. It's fairly rare but im wanting to see more realistic applications.
    I have a Sihing that practiced it quite a bit, he was extremely hard to deal with. Lots of hooking the ankles and knees and movements that transition from ground to low standing.
    -Golden Arms-

dog boxing is an insult, it means dirty boxing or dishonorable fighting

you are not actually mimicking a dog

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Under that definition, the majority of Asian and Filipino arts are "dog boxing" LOL.
    -Golden Arms-

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post

The only people that should be worrying about "honor" in a fight are police officers(only within reason) and sport fighters.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

i dont know if you know this, but competition in kung fu actually had strict rules of honor.

death match kumite is a myth

I couldn't say, to be honest.

Personally, if I HAVE to fight, i'm gonna do my best do make sure that the other person doesn't fight be back afterward. If that means "dirtyboxing", i'm fine with that.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

traditionally if you try to fight dirty at a competition the crowd would riot and tear you to pieces.

chinese ring had nothing separating the spectators from you.

That would be great if it still held true.

These days, if you're kicking someone's ass, their friend is likely to step in and cheap shot you instead of letting his friend take an ass kicking.

there are dirty skills but they require bitter training just like any other "gong". there are no shortcuts

a small weak man is not going to "capture the spirit of the beast" and bite and gouge a big strong man and win. thats magical thinking.
    Last edited by bawang; 06-17-2011 at 02:59 PM.

It is my understanding that many women used Dog Boxing due to foot binding during the time. It's used for ground techniques sweeping, low kicks and leg locks mimicking some movements of a dog.

In any compitition, there will usually be rules. One's honor would be at stake if he did not follow those rules of a fair fight. But, in a bar fight or ally fight you can not know what is in the mind of your antagonist, so you have to apply what skills you have to defend your self. In all forms or fighting there will be the dirty tricks or such, but they serve a purpose. Most people don't simply walk up and accost someone that is their own size or larger. They usually size up their mark and try to assure themselves that they can whip him before making a move. Unless he doesn't control the situation and is accosted himself. In order for any gung fu technique to work for you, you have to apply it as if you mean it. You can not just play at it or do it half way or it just don't always work for you. In the movies we see two fighters use every technique he ever learned in every fight. They fight for 10 minutes, each one doing one technique, stop, the other one does his, stop, and they go back and forth like that. I think this is how everyone is thinking when they talk about actually fighting. In a real fight it seldom lasts more than a few seconds, maybe one or two techniques, and the fight is done. If you know your stuff and take the initiative you can usually end the fight quickly and in your own favor. You can't be a pu$$y about it though. You gots to hurt him.
    I had a woman challenge me once. I would not fight with her. She got absolutely out of control thinking I was afraid of her. She made the mistake of ambushing me when there were no witnesses. She got a good nights sleep. And part of the next day too. The night before I had tossed her boyfriend out on his head, so she should have known not to mess around. You can't give anyone a break. You take full advantage when you can.
    Jackie Lee

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post

Um no. There is a southern style 狗拳 or 地术拳...
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

It is my understanding that many women used Dog Boxing due to foot binding during the time. It's used for ground techniques sweeping, low kicks and leg locks mimicking some movements of a dog.
    This never happened. This is a hillbilly legend from Midwestern America.

yeah, those foot-bound women, the ones who could barely walk, were known for their martial prowess

tell me, at your school, do they say "step" a lot?