Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Placebo...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    No you don't, you slow down because of your body's inability to clear the lactic acid from your system.
    Which results in a buildup of lactic acid... duh.

It is not important to know the physiological processes that occur. You do not need to know how a car functions to drive one well.

All it takes is proper training protocols for your goals.
    Give a person a fish and he eats one meal. Teach him how to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

dur, i can has criticuhl brian

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/conten.../R502.abstract

This research led to the assumption that lactic acid production
    caused decreases in cellular and blood pH, which in turn caused the symptoms of muscle and body fatigue
    during intense exercise. This evidence was not cause-and-affect, but rather guilt by association. Lactic acid
    was shown to increase when pH decreased, and fatigue followed. No evidence existed that proved that the
    acidic form of lactate (lactic acid) was produced, or that protons released from lactic acid caused the acidosis.
    At this time there was no knowledge of how acids and bases interacted chemically, and therefore, no reason to
    distinguish between an acid and an acid salt (Figure 1).Once this content is presented, it must be reiterated that there is no scientific evidence for explaining
    acidosis by the production of lactate. Furthermore, it is important to express that several scientists have
    questioned the explanation of acidosis caused by lactate production (4-10), and that an alternate explanation of
    acidosis is therefore supported by numerous academics and scientists. In short, you are not alone in wanting to
    provide another, more correct, explanation of the biochemical causes of acidosis.

Finally, it should also be stressed that the assumption that acidosis is caused by the production of
    metabolic acids is wrong. Acids are one source of free protons, but free protons can also be released by
    chemical reactions. Thus, it is possible to have chemical reactions contribute to acidosis without producing any
    acids at all!
    http://faculty.css.edu/tboone2/asep/...ertRobergs.pdf

OUCH!!!!

Like I said, it doesn't matter one way or the other. If you have the proper training protocols, you will improve regardless of whether you know what is going on on the cellular level or not!

Possibly there is a mechanism other than lactic acid responsible for the acidosis.

Either way, acidosis is still the limiting factor. Doesn't really matter what the precursor was.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Like I said, it doesn't matter one way or the other. If you have the proper training protocols, you will improve regardless of whether you know what is going on on the cellular level or not!
    Training the CP energy system is different than training the glycolytic system is different than training the oxydative.

You don't need to know the cellular mechanisms, but you need to know which system to train.

Quote Originally Posted by faxiapreta View Post
    Training the CP energy system is different than training the glycolytic system is different than training the oxydative.

You don't need to know the cellular mechanisms, but you need to know which system to train.
    I am pretty sure that is what I have been saying this whole time!

What is most important is to know what his training goals are first, then tailor the training program according to what he wants to accomplish!