Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diet for a kung fu fighter

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    yes we are what we eat.

high protein diet is the "fad" now.

me believe that a well balanced diet is better.

--

Well balanced diets usually mean one things: A diet high in carbs, some vegetables, and some protein. This diet will make you fat as hell

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    i don't know just seems like a loser to me ,who writes on a kung fu message board all day

Quote Originally Posted by tallmike View Post
    I am a big fan of high protein diets if you do really active martial arts and/or compete.
    Yes, the natural diet for any human will be high in protein. If we trap an animal or bird from the wild we tend to seek out the most natural diet for it, but we do no such thing for humans. Eating processed and prepared foods high in carbs has only come about in the last few hundred years. In large populations of agricultural peoples, the eating of grains and breaded foods, processed sugars, and concentrated suppliments has created all sorts of problems for us. Diabetes, arthritis, extreme obesity, and a bunch of other things have become prevelent.
    Not far back in our history, as histories go, we were hunter/gatherers. We ate More fish than mammal, lots of nuts and some green vegetables and roots. We only are able to eat grains and their by products since technology came to be.
    Look at the eskimo, which means eater of raw meats, and you will see that they had no history of diabetes and heart disease until they were able to get junk foods and sugars from local stores.
    If you can find it, get a book called, Neanderthin, and it will explain a lot of things that are well based in fact, but have not been the teachings of society. I went to school to learn to be a dietition, but most of what I learned has now been proven to be completely wrong.
    One can learn to hunt and gather at the local grocery if he is selective and has the will power to cull the bad things from his diet.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Yes, the natural diet for any human will be high in protein. If we trap an animal or bird from the wild we tend to seek out the most natural diet for it, but we do no such thing for humans. Eating processed and prepared foods high in carbs has only come about in the last few hundred years. In large populations of agricultural peoples, the eating of grains and breaded foods, processed sugars, and concentrated suppliments has created all sorts of problems for us. Diabetes, arthritis, extreme obesity, and a bunch of other things have become prevelent.
    Not far back in our history, as histories go, we were hunter/gatherers. We ate More fish than mammal, lots of nuts and some green vegetables and roots. We only are able to eat grains and their by products since technology came to be.
    Look at the eskimo, which means eater of raw meats, and you will see that they had no history of diabetes and heart disease until they were able to get junk foods and sugars from local stores.
    If you can find it, get a book called, Neanderthin, and it will explain a lot of things that are well based in fact, but have not been the teachings of society. I went to school to learn to be a dietition, but most of what I learned has now been proven to be completely wrong.
    One can learn to hunt and gather at the local grocery if he is selective and has the will power to cull the bad things from his diet.
    Has nothing to do with protein vs. carbohydrate.

Societies such as the Mediteraneans and Asians historically had a diet that was mostly grains and vegetables, supplemented by small amounts of protein. Heart disease, hypertension, and diabetes were almost unheard before the last 40 years or so, when processed foods became more prevalent.

Quote Originally Posted by tallmike View Post
    Well balanced diets usually mean one things: A diet high in carbs, some vegetables, and some protein. This diet will make you fat as hell
    1/3 1/3 1/3 = balanced diet.

1/3 proteins
    1/3 carbs
    1/3 clear fats
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by faxiapreta View Post
    Has nothing to do with protein vs. carbohydrate.

Societies such as the Mediteraneans and Asians historically had a diet that was mostly grains and vegetables, supplemented by small amounts of protein. Heart disease, hypertension, and diabetes were almost unheard before the last 40 years or so, when processed foods became more prevalent.
    You need to recheck your sources. Diabetes and high blood pressure is and has been rampant there for centuries. Processed foods such as sugars and products loaded with sugars has brought type 2 diabetes closer to the forefront since the turn of the century, but most of the other auto immune system diseases came about due to eating foods that were not available during our evolution.
    By simply going on a high protein diet with only enough vegetable matter to give you fiber you can drop your cholesterol below 100, and your triglycerides below 150 within weeks. Anything resembling a natural diet will change your numbers quickly.
    Jackie Lee

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    You need to recheck your sources. Diabetes and high blood pressure is and has been rampant there for centuries. Processed foods such as sugars and products loaded with sugars has brought type 2 diabetes closer to the forefront since the turn of the century, but most of the other auto immune system diseases came about due to eating foods that were not available during our evolution.
    By simply going on a high protein diet with only enough vegetable matter to give you fiber you can drop your cholesterol below 100, and your triglycerides below 150 within weeks. Anything resembling a natural diet will change your numbers quickly.
    ok, but Slim Jims and pork rinds are cool, right?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    1/3 1/3 1/3 = balanced diet.

1/3 proteins
    1/3 carbs
    1/3 clear fats

It sounds good, but you really need to look at the sources of each. Animal proteins over vegetable proteins,
    only carbs that are difficult to extract from fiberous material,
    and lots of animal fats. It is a fact that fat can not make fat. It can not be taken into your vains to coat the walls. Only carbs can create fat in the blood stream in the form of trigycerides. Nuts are good so long as you do not make them the staple of your diet. They can be as bad as corn or potatoes if you eat too much of them.
    People commonly die from their diets in this country. A large number of them consider themselves as eating a well balanced diet.
    Being fat is not hereditary. It is the diet a family learns to eat. If mom or dad is grossly obese, everyone in the family is usually obese. It is their diet. If they can learn to eat differently they can change that.
    I was at the local grocery a few days ago, and the lady behind me was very large. Her daughter and son were only about 10 and 11, but both were as heavy as me. I am assuming dad was also large. In her basket was a pack of ribs, several packs of lunch meats, the low fat type, 3 big 10 lb bags of potatoes, 3 bags of frozen crinkle cut potato fries, 3 large loaves of white bread, 2 bags of oreo cookies, and 2 cases of cheap colas. Just follow large people around the store and look at what they get, then avoid that stuff. Then follow a lean person around and see what they get. It is all in what you balance the diet with.
    Jackie Lee