Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wudang KungFu Academy China

Wudang KungFu Academy China

Hi,

I am 49 years old, slim but not particularly fit and planning to go to Wudang KungFu Academy in China next year for 12 to 18 months to learn KungFu...

They train about 6 hours per day five days per week.

My worry is about getting injured and being out of action for weeks at a time.

Are injuries common in KungFu?

Is it too late in life for me to be doing this?

M

Quote Originally Posted by Mochuisle View Post
    Hi,

I am 49 years old, slim but not particularly fit and planning to go to Wudang KungFu Academy in China next year for 12 to 18 months to learn KungFu...

They train about 6 hours per day five days per week.

My worry is about getting injured and being out of action for weeks at a time.

Are injuries common in KungFu?

Is it too late in life for me to be doing this?

M
    Well, you don't really need to go to China to learn Kung Fu. But to each their own.
    If you are going from a sedate lifestyle into this, training 6 hours a day, 5 days a week is out of the question. You will not be able to do that without ramping up to it.

So start working out now and getting fit now and get yourself ready for that.

Also, consider the differences in how you live (i assume you are a westerner) and the fact that food, water, shelter and medicine will be completely different in China.

Injuries are common in all martial arts. You can expect them to occur.
    Also, don't expect to be treated in any special way. Many will look at you with dollars in their eyes. that's just how it is with Martial arts tourists.

No one is ever to old to start making positive changes in their life or lifestyle.
    Be wise about it though and don't try to go beyond your capacity or ability in this endeavour.

Best.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

It's never too late

Just be sure to pack ibuprofen (or something stronger if you can get it) as well as athletic tape, ace bandages and neoprene joint supports. That stuff can be hard to get sometimes.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I would just like to point out that if you can find much better kung fu instruction in the U.S. these days than before.

There are a TON of Shaolin monks on the West Coast, East Coast, and most of the major cities in the U.S.

Not to mention that Dr. Yang has his Retreat Center in northern California and the internal stuff that he teaches there is gonna be pretty close to the Wudang stuff you'll learn in China. You'll also get the same "live-in" experience, I would think.

Just some things to think about.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

I do not envy you the trouble you will have negotiating a squat toilet with extreme DOMS.

First 2-3 weeks are going to be absolute hell.

Thankfully the DOMS will dissipate after the first hour or so of training each day. But the nights and mornings. . .oh man. . .

There's nothing like immersion

When you go to the other side of the world to train, it's an amazing experience. You force yourself to commit to it. Here in America, if I'm not feeling well, I can play hooky and go to a movie or something. Not that I ever do that. I'm just sayin...

Dr. Yang's retreat center is not open to the public. You can attend occasional week-long workshops during the summer, but only his disciples are permitted to live and train there all of the time.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thanks all,

great to listen to such generous feedback! but yes, it's the live in experience I am seeking too...

And...the cost all in for one year is $10K...

Hope my body can stand up to the training and the impacts....that's my fear..

M

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    When you go to the other side of the world to train, it's an amazing experience. You force yourself to commit to it. Here in America, if I'm not feeling well, I can play hooky and go to a movie or something. Not that I ever do that. I'm just sayin...

Dr. Yang's retreat center is not open to the public. You can attend occasional week-long workshops during the summer, but only his disciples are permitted to live and train there all of the time.
    Did not know that. For some reason I was thinking you could stay longer.

I feel ya on the whole experience thing. I would love to do it myself. If you have to means and time to do it you had better jump on that chance.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

My understanding is that if the Academy is happy to keep you on as a student and you have money, they will arrange for regular Visa extensions...

Not sure how long I'll last but expect to stay as long as I plan...so my next question would be...

If I were training 6 hours per day, five days per week, injury free, what belt could I hope get close to??? just curious..

M

I would recommend you get in a horse stance, holding a bo at arms length horizontally at eye level from now until you leave...

Its much harder than it looks...good luck Amigo!
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Mochuisle View Post
    My understanding is that if the Academy is happy to keep you on as a student and you have money, they will arrange for regular Visa extensions...

Not sure how long I'll last but expect to stay as long as I plan...so my next question would be...

If I were training 6 hours per day, five days per week, injury free, what belt could I hope get close to??? just curious..

M
    Not sure they will have belts. In Kung Fu, the focus is self development and not really the attainment of congratulatory markers.

You may find yourself in a filial system with no belts at all. Just teacher, student relationship which quite frankly is the best way to go.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I am filled with bitter envy at all you blokes who get to larp it up in China like an expatriated Bruce Wayne.

Stupid responsibilities.

Actually,

I have a very decent job, quite a few responsibilities and am in the rat race just like everyone else....but have made a decision to get out of it...so save save save...just need to stay focussed and start getting fit...

I accept that Belts should not come into it, I am totally in this for self development, why do you think I've chosen China...was just curious...

M

Haha, Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply you don't have any responsibilities, just bemoaning my lack of will to get off my arse and do the Bruce Wayne thing.

Are you talking about Yuan Shifu's school?
    http://www.wudanggongfu.com/
    In which case I heartily recommend it. I trained there for a month and in that time I pulled my hip flexor and sprained my neck. Neither stopped me training, just impared my kicking somewhat. There's cheap physical therapy available in the town, and some of the students do massage as well.
    There are no belt rankings, it's really not that kind of mentality. If you scroll halfway down here http://www.wudanggongfu.com/kungfu/2009.htm it'll give you an idea of what they think you can learn in a year. You don't have to stick to that curriculum though, indeed at your age a couple of those first year forms might require a bit too much athleticism.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk