Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 Ways of Bak Mei

8 Ways of Bak Mei

Anyone care to share their thoughts on the 8 Ways of Bak Mei? Are these practiced as techniques or concepts in the system?

Ive also seen different sets of 8 listed around, this is one of them:

1. 抽Chau (lash)
    2. 割Got (cut)
    3. 索Sok (search)
    4. 捶Chui (beat)
    5. 衝Chung (rush)
    6. 鞭Been (whip)
    7. 彈Daan (spring)
    8. 枕Chum (sink)

To me it is a list of the 8 main techniques found in the system/sets. Where does this list come from? IMO it is a mix.

That is Bak Mei Baat Faat, 8 methods. I like Sok Sau.

Everyone seen this Bak Mei manual?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/45997124/B...Kung-Fu-Manual

I saw part of it. It is quite theoretic

We call those the 8 hands, but the names seemed to be either translated or mixed. They are all over the place if you want to compare.

Its just about the energies in a strike or technique, i.e., is it a whipping backfist, or a pulling trap.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Yeah, that maual is a little theoretic for me. I like all of the definitions though.

I couldn't really find myself in the definitions of some of the core principles so I didn't really read all the others. Also i think he uses the same set for a book on a different style too.

haha! Yep, I have heard that whoever the author is uses the same explanations for a book on SPM. Which is odd to me, but maybe not to others. Not sure.

I guess he is taking apart the puzzle and putting it back together his own way. Most of his definitions are pretty ordinary for Bak Mei.

He mentions some of the different "Gings" inside Bak Mei.

The 8 methods and the different Gings are kind of cool to work on, to see if you can get different powers going on for different methods. To see what strengths and weaknesses are going on, what needs to be tuned up, etc.

I once had a student that I taught the 8 hands to from day one through padwork and sparring. Most students started of this way. Anyways, after he learned them, he wanted to learn how to move better. He kind of stopped there, and just trained those things, and trained them tirelessly. He did good with it. Finally I taught him Jik Bo. His Jik Bo was horrible no matter what, but he was the best fighter in the school. Weird but true...

I found this manual interesting, though I admit to only skimming it. I don't claim to know anything about Bak Mai, but interesting to hear that some of this material was reused in a SPM manual. On first read through, it reminded me heavily of White Crane, which I have had some training in. The terminology is the same.

I'm intrigued by the commonality between this family of southern styles.

When I learned Bak Mei I studied the theory quite deeply too, however didnt pay much attention to the "8 ways". I guess I wasnt the only one!

Indeed, could be that I am missing something but the understanding & consistent application of the other principles holds more value for me personally.

Fair enough, I thought so before too. But for some reason I dont like to leave something hanging, dont like having something unlearned or ignored. Is this just fluff or is it something of use that most cant see the depth of? I dont know myself and maybe its nothing but the 8 ways are listed in most every published work on Bak Mei and they seem to have stuck around for some reason.

The 8 hands, Baat Fat, have practical meaning in application. They go with the poems. Sok Sau, is sok sau for a reason...Searching hands. For example, you search until you can catch, pull, and punch. Kind of like Lap Sau Tung Tou.

The poems well tell the practitioner which of the 8 methods goes with each move. For example, Chum Choy, is sinking punch. So, you train to sink (among other things relating to the entire combative principle inside the act of sinking) as you use that particular move to punch. That way, the practitioner is using the principles in order to get the full body expression going that Bak Mei is known for. This was explained earlier, sorry.

Cheers,

Tao

Quote Originally Posted by soulfist View Post
    1. 抽Chau (lash)
    2. 割Got (cut)
    3. 索Sok (search)
    4. 捶Chui (beat)
    5. 衝Chung (rush)
    6. 鞭Been (whip)
    7. 彈Daan (spring)
    8. 枕Chum (sink)
    I dont think the 8 Ways would equal 8 Techniques, by definition. But if they are accompanying forces or ways to techniques as maybe your trying to get at then there is considerable worth here and shouldnt be pushed aside. Could you tell me your take on at least the first three then, just so I can get my mind in the right place?

Blog Entries
    I'm not a Bak Mei guy but "彈Daan (spring)" also exists in Chinese wrestling as a "principle". You can use your leg to spring your opponent from his horse stance into his bow-arrow stance, or from his wide horse stance into much wider horse stance (so he will fall). You can also spring your opponent's leg off the ground.

The "抽Chau (lash)" is also used in the Zimen system, to pull your striking hand back as fast as you can as if you are pulling a thread out of your opponent's shirt.

The "鞭Been (whip)" also used in the Zimen system, to strike willow palms on your opponent's head (or neck) from both sides.

Not sure a Bak Mei guy will use those 3 principles the same way or not.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-23-2011 at 09:11 PM.