Thread: 8 Ways of Bak Mei

Hybrid View

8 Ways of Bak Mei

Anyone care to share their thoughts on the 8 Ways of Bak Mei? Are these practiced as techniques or concepts in the system?

Ive also seen different sets of 8 listed around, this is one of them:

1. 抽Chau (lash)
    2. 割Got (cut)
    3. 索Sok (search)
    4. 捶Chui (beat)
    5. 衝Chung (rush)
    6. 鞭Been (whip)
    7. 彈Daan (spring)
    8. 枕Chum (sink)

To me it is a list of the 8 main techniques found in the system/sets. Where does this list come from? IMO it is a mix.

That is Bak Mei Baat Faat, 8 methods. I like Sok Sau.

Everyone seen this Bak Mei manual?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/45997124/B...Kung-Fu-Manual

I saw part of it. It is quite theoretic

We call those the 8 hands, but the names seemed to be either translated or mixed. They are all over the place if you want to compare.

Its just about the energies in a strike or technique, i.e., is it a whipping backfist, or a pulling trap.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Yeah, that maual is a little theoretic for me. I like all of the definitions though.

Quote Originally Posted by soulfist View Post
    1. 抽Chau (lash)
    2. 割Got (cut)
    3. 索Sok (search)
    4. 捶Chui (beat)
    5. 衝Chung (rush)
    6. 鞭Been (whip)
    7. 彈Daan (spring)
    8. 枕Chum (sink)
    I dont think the 8 Ways would equal 8 Techniques, by definition. But if they are accompanying forces or ways to techniques as maybe your trying to get at then there is considerable worth here and shouldnt be pushed aside. Could you tell me your take on at least the first three then, just so I can get my mind in the right place?

Blog Entries
    I'm not a Bak Mei guy but "彈Daan (spring)" also exists in Chinese wrestling as a "principle". You can use your leg to spring your opponent from his horse stance into his bow-arrow stance, or from his wide horse stance into much wider horse stance (so he will fall). You can also spring your opponent's leg off the ground.

The "抽Chau (lash)" is also used in the Zimen system, to pull your striking hand back as fast as you can as if you are pulling a thread out of your opponent's shirt.

The "鞭Been (whip)" also used in the Zimen system, to strike willow palms on your opponent's head (or neck) from both sides.

Not sure a Bak Mei guy will use those 3 principles the same way or not.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-23-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    anyone know the exact definition of gau choy? It wasn't in the glossary in the book, which is funny, as it is mentioned in the book elsewhere. We use it as an angled downward hammer fist utilizing full body connection/dropping weight/short power.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

They can represent many different techniques. For teaching, some teachers show 8 basic techniques to get across the physiological actions of each way. All of the poems have these words, and sometimes a few others, to represent what is going on in the system.

For example, sometimes you have Chum Choy, and sometimes you have Chung Choy. So that is telling the practitioner to practice scenarios with a sinking punch and to also practice scenarios with a rushing punch.

I think that it is good to look at, and to figure out 8 basic techniques to work on, and go from there. To me, when I start mixing it up to much, it becomes mixed up and goes away from the idea of my understanding of Bak Mei.

I more or less try to do them like the poems, save for maybe a few moves. Done like the poems, almost all of the movements in the system are set up as 'perfect' (bad word) as any person's body would be able to do them.

Cheers,

Tao

Ten,

Gau Choy rocks! Doesn't it mean, mellon punch? Or some such? Like how you would strike a mellon to easily break it? And the mellon representing the head? I am not sure of the Chinese meaning of Gau. Would have to see the character.

I think in most Bak Mei it is in one form; 4 doors 8 directions form. But then again, I have only seen it done in that form in a few schools.

Anyways, techniques can be trained various ways. One of the techniques that is found in Bak Mei that closely resembles Gau Choy is called Soy Kuil. A practitioner can for sure train it that way, but it takes away from the meaning of the technique, which is killing the bridge.

You find Gau Choy in most SPM.

Does Pak Mei have San Sik Separet techniques like Wing Chun Does ? If so what are they ?