Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Staff (gwun) Drills

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Anyone else spar with "metal" weapons like this? Anything using "wood" is crap IMO!

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/8553/stick1h.jpg
    Now that's some real men! Take the skirt off boys it's time to spar with metal.

I just think foam doesn't give you the fear of being hit. You will attack much differently if you are worried about getting hurt. Anytime I see foam sparring it looks like two monkeys hitting each other. No techniques or skill involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Snipsky View Post
    I thought Gwun was a jamaican term...."G'wun get your ahss out me grill ya bumbaclot!!! Book Book Book!
    it's a fudgy canto romanization.

me no good with wade giles or pin yin...
    me barbarian
    Kung Fu is good for you.

one time i accidentally broke my friend tooth and split his lip open with a bokken when we were sparring...i had to super glue his lip back together...

pretty funny actually

imagine if it was metal :O
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

you are a bad friend. You must please him with comfort to make him feel better. Also buy him a new teeth.

haha i told him he could hit me anywhere he wanted. but he didnt want to. butttt it resulted because we were dissagree on some technique or other, so we tried it in sparring and iw as right and i clocked his mouth...so it was good lesson for us both

but you are also right, i am a bad friends.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

If I go to Portland we can meet and be friend, but I will not use sticks with you because I am afraid that you are mean.

ok. lol i am kind of mean.

[QUOTE=Lucas;1108219]one time i accidentally broke my friend tooth and split his lip open with a bokken when we were sparring...i had to super glue his lip back together...

pretty funny actually

imagine if it was metal :O[/QUOTE

Are you guys still friends afterward?
    呂師傅

[QUOTE=zoomvision;1108269]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    one time i accidentally broke my friend tooth and split his lip open with a bokken when we were sparring...i had to super glue his lip back together...

pretty funny actually

imagine if it was metal :O[/QUOTE

Are you guys still friends afterward?
    we are very close friends.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfublow View Post
    time to spar with metal.
    That pole was made of copper pipe. I put sand into it so it can be used as weight training.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    That pole was made of copper pipe. I put sand into it so it can be used as weight training.
    Wow that has to hurt to get hit with

when you sweat

be careful that copper pipe may slip.

oops bang your own toes and hurt yourself big time.

Training Aid

I'm a big fan of the oversize Gwun. As tall as your upstretched arm and fingertips, at least, and 35-40mm thick. The style comes from the techniques used by guardsmen inside buildings, where several long pole guys could protect a passage or doorway from swordsmen. Lots of short sharp movements at the business end, tight grip at the very other end. No switching of ends.

Never learned the spear, I bet I would like it.

As mentioned before, the thicker pole allows you to grab with a claw to avoid your fingers getting scraped off the side.

Naturally, I don't entertain any fantasy of going to war with the thing, but its a great training too. Some spinning through 3 or 4 patterns to get the heart rate up, a nice low impact warm up. Using it across the shoulders for twists and torso/core stuff. Some common attack combinations for anaerobic bursts.

And holding it at one end with a narrow grip, parallel to the ground, locking your arms and trying to bounce it like a rattan stick, up and down. Your body is rigid, set solid, and you have to move it by using shoulders and core. Its good for stance, and its kind of like isometric, but you are rapidly changing between "push and pull."

Our saying is, "Hand is the Father, stick is the Mother and all the rest of the weapons are the children." Makes a certain amount of sense to me.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Heavy metal

Oh yea, I also keep the weightlifting bar around for staff training. Its brutal.

Got a pair of stainless steel rods, 15mm thick, 500mm long, nice for practicing any Dao forms, single or double, etc. Much heavier than a dao, but shorter. Something you can carry around as well.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    when you sweat

be careful that copper pipe may slip.

oops bang your own toes and hurt yourself big time.

You always put dirt on your hands before the battle. Have you seen the "Gladiator" movie?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-23-2011 at 07:10 PM.