Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Staff (gwun) Drills

Quote Originally Posted by faxiapreta View Post
    The principles of training do not change. Train as close to reality as possible. With staffs this means sparring.

Of course you have to gear up. The idea is the same with all training. As hard as you can without constantly getting injured.

What is is about dog brothers that you find not a good example of staff fighting?
    I suppose all of us that carry guns for a law enforcement agency should shoot each other to learn how to shoot people too.

Can't use sim rounds because that isn't TEH REALZ!
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

DJ,

Just some advice. Don't respond to the guy then maybe he'll leave the threads alone and those interested in discussing drills and training with the staff, can.

Lets make one thing clear, DBMA advocates PADDED and PROTECTED training.
    Minimal padding is saved for actual testing periods or gatherings.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    I suppose all of us that carry guns for a law enforcement agency should shoot each other to learn how to shoot people too.

Can't use sim rounds because that isn't TEH REALZ!
    What is it about...

Of course you have to gear up. The idea is the same with all training. As hard as you can without constantly getting injured.

... that you do not understand?

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    DJ,

Just some advice. Don't respond to the guy then maybe he'll leave the threads alone and those interested in discussing drills and training with the staff, can.
    yeah, you're right.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Jimerson's staff training:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jireJOLsy-w

Who uses the double tail (two headed) methods?

I do. I rarely use single end on staff work.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Using the staff to build some secondary attributes is nothing new and pretty common in most MA.
    Using heavier than normal items to mimic staff and stick work is also very common, advocated by the DB by the way.
    I have a 6ft staff made out of 1" solid steel and 3ft sticks made out of the same material.
    I got a couple of rounds with them.
    I have a HD dummy, the type the police and fireman use, on which I practice full on strikes and such.

I prefer the single method over the double. Funny, i find the single method keeps me more balanced through out rather than the double end method. Also, i'm not a fan of doing the mirror of each set of moves on the other side, i find it makes the training boring. I know, i know, you need to do both sides to be good at both, but i was never a fan of that.

Blog Entries
    you need to do both sides to be good at both, but i was never a fan of that.
    Me neither. We will be luck to train our skill to be good on one side. We can always train different skills for our different sides.

Quote Originally Posted by faxiapreta View Post
    Are you saying you don't spar full contact with staffs?
    Thanks for that Troll!

I'm might be playing into this a bit. But I spar all the time with staffs. I have a couple training partners that use kendo sticks and we have at it all time. It's made me much better! I can't say we spar full force though. It's more like play. Parries back and forth testing each other until something makes it though. I would say we are at 80% power. Enough to know when you get hit but not swinging hard enough to take my block totally off.

Anyone else spar with wooden weapons like this? Anything using foam is crap IMO!

Quote Originally Posted by kungfublow View Post
    Thanks for that Troll!

I'm might be playing into this a bit. But I spar all the time with staffs. I have a couple training partners that use kendo sticks and we have at it all time. It's made me much better! I can't say we spar full force though. It's more like play. Parries back and forth testing each other until something makes it though. I would say we are at 80% power. Enough to know when you get hit but not swinging hard enough to take my block totally off.

Anyone else spar with wooden weapons like this? Anything using foam is crap IMO!
    There are some padded sticks that are good for working on light sparring and some technical work.
    But I wouldn't spar hard with them.
    Oak is not a good choice, LOL !
    Rattan for sticks and bamboo shinai are ok, hardwood not so much.

I once went Bokuto VS stick and the Bokuto was just too much for my partner.
    There isn't much padding that can go up against a bokuto.

Thanks for that Troll!

vid or it never happened.

Blog Entries
    Anyone else spar with "metal" weapons like this? Anything using "wood" is crap IMO!

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/8553/stick1h.jpg

vid or it never happened.
    Hahaha! I've got vids! Not that I'm going to share them. I've only been training a couple of years and I'm sure I'm not the best example of skill. I do think that type of training has made me better faster.

Maybe if I could figure out how to post a video I would put them up. Youtube and I are not friends. I'm sure it would be worth a good laugh for some of the higly skilled guys here.