Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Staff (gwun) Drills

Staff (gwun) Drills

Extrapolating onto the soft pell, stepping strikes, turn backs and lay ins.

What sort of staff drills do you do with a striking surface that lets you develop full force striking with the weapon?

How do you like to perform the strikes? form a static position or while moving?

Do you practice full force striking with your weapons?

If not, why not? It is a great way to strengthen your weapon retention ability and to increase the skill of your attacks.

also, what is your pell made from and what type of staff do you use?

thanks!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I have a few pieces of 1 1/4" PE pipe. I filled one piece that's 5 1/2' long with sand and capped both ends. I know it's not ideal, but i used what i had. I use it to strengthen the forearms and wrists. Also use it to stengthen my stance and transitions. Hit the bag with it but not full out shots, just short bursts as space is limited.

1 we use staff like a spear (as in shaolin gun fa/staff method)

so lots of ci or piercing forward

2 beng or suddenly upward is most difficult to practice

3 as far as Pi or axe down.

we may go halfway with half horse stance

we may also go all the way to the floor with half squatting stance.

4 sao or sweep

limited half circle

or all around 360 degree

--

me luv staff/spear.

initially practicing with strong arms and upper body movement

then the whole body

then stepping/walking/running and strike

all in stages of progression

foot note

if you strike something hard, you have to absorb the repercussion or recoiling power in a balance way or transferring it down to your feet then ground.

without losing grips of your staff of course

--

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    staff thrusts (heart pierce) utilizing the shift from horse to bow and arrow, connects the entire body into the strike.
    Snapping the staff down develops the short sinking power, which is used in joint locking and bridge sinking skills.
    holding a lighter staff and bringing it up into a palm up position in front of yuor chest, then slowly thrusting it forward, then twisting it down develops the wrist, grip, and forward bridge energy.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

yes. if you use a staff as a tool to develop your body strength

then we use a heavy and extra long spear or da gan

we may not move it or wield it without recruiting the waist and the whole body movment.

it is a popular practice across all northern style.

I typically practice/teach various gun/gwan (棍) skills, based upon northern and southern rat tail stick, double ended stick, and long staff principles:

• Striking a heavy bag or tree
    • Two-man drills
    • Weights
    • Moving and Stationary

Like all things martial, the closer to reality the better. In the case of staffs, that means full contact sparring.

Quote Originally Posted by faxiapreta View Post
    Like all things martial, the closer to reality the better. In the case of staffs, that means full contact sparring.
    In the case of staffs, don't listen to this guy. lol
    He obviously has no idea of how to train correctly.
    And if he did train that way, he wouldn't be training because he's injured all the time.

you need to qualify and quantify those statements.

And "dog brothers" is not a legitimate response.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    I have learned the pole (not staff) 2 men form 劈手杆(Pi Shou Gan) when I was 11 years old from my brother in law from Baoding. The form only contains 3 short combos. You hold your hands on the 1/3 position, this way you can use both end to hit your opponent. If you release one grip, your pole will have 2/3 length to reach to your opponent. The main trick on this pole skill is to "slide your pole along your opponent's staff and hit on their fingers". In order to prevent your opponent form doing that to you, you use a fat pole that your fingers won't hole it in circle. This way, when your opponent tries to slide along your pole to hit your fingers, since you only hold 1/2 way (fat pole), his stick won't be able to hit on your fingers.

Here is how that pole look like:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/543/stick2g.jpg/

I wanted to learn pole and my Shifu only made my block basic attacks and hit harder and harder and harder.

As he hit harder the pole would bend and shake. This make it easy to hurt my fingers and I was afraid Shifu would break them.

I learned to absorb the force in the legs to bounce the stick. Shifu said that unless you can do this and know what real force feels like other techniques are no good.

I thought Gwun was a jamaican term...."G'wun get your ahss out me grill ya bumbaclot!!! Book Book Book!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    What sort of staff drills do you do with a striking surface that lets you develop full force striking with the weapon?
    The folowing simple 2 men drill can be quite useful.

Both you and your opponent use hands to hole 1/3 of the pole.

- You use right hand side of your pole to hit your opponent's head, he blocks it.
    - You use left hand side of your pole to hit his leg, he blocks.
    - You use left hand side of your pole to hit his head again, he blocks.
    - You release your right hand hold and use your right hand end to hit on top of his head, he lets your pole to slide along his pole.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-23-2011 at 12:06 PM.

In the case of staffs, don't listen to this guy. lol
    He obviously has no idea of how to train correctly.
    And if he did train that way, he wouldn't be training because he's injured all the time.

you need to qualify and quantify those statements.

And "dog brothers" is not a legitimate response.
    Are you saying you don't spar full contact with staffs?
    Last edited by faxiapreta; 06-23-2011 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by faxiapreta View Post
    Are you saying you don't spar full contact with staffs?
    You are advocating causing injury.

If you cannot speak to it with qualifications and quantification, then please don't try.

You make it clear that you don't know what you're going on about.

As an aside, gear is great, but it is still a mask.

we train. when we fight, we fight. training stops and fighting begins.

With weapons there are many drills, but everyone who actually knows anything about handling weapons will use dummys for development fo full force striking, drills to teach the relationship of space and timing and sparring is fun, but a limited activity of value with weapons training.

Do people spar with guns? No, the paintball or airsoft.
    Do people spar with swords? No, they fence.
    Do people spar with staffs? Yes, but either with modified staff or a lot of armour.

No armour cuts your training time down immensely.

@ YKW yes I am familiar with attack/defend staff drills. they are good!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

You are advocating causing injury.

If you cannot speak to it with qualifications and quantification, then please don't try.

You make it clear that you don't know what you're going on about.

As an aside, gear is great, but it is still a mask.

we train. when we fight, we fight. training stops and fighting begins.

With weapons there are many drills, but everyone who actually knows anything about handling weapons will use dummys for development fo full force striking, drills to teach the relationship of space and timing and sparring is fun, but a limited activity of value with weapons training.

Do people spar with guns? No, the paintball or airsoft.
    Do people spar with swords? No, they fence.
    Do people spar with staffs? Yes, but either with modified staff or a lot of armour.

No armour cuts your training time down immensely.

@ YKW yes I am familiar with attack/defend staff drills. they are good!
    The principles of training do not change. Train as close to reality as possible. With staffs this means sparring.

Of course you have to gear up. The idea is the same with all training. As hard as you can without constantly getting injured.

What is is about dog brothers that you find not a good example of staff fighting?