Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: weighted items

weighted items

Anybody use weight vest? Metal rings? Legs weights?
    Notice a difference in your endurance? Strength? Flow?

how long were you using resistance items before you started to physically notice the benefits.

For instance, for me, it took about 6 months to a year of steady 3x weekly use of metal rings and dit da jow before my arms would no longer bruise form their use.

bridges can withstand more and allow more issuance of force through them as a striking weapon.

so, what do you use, how long have you used it, what were your expected benefits and what were your real benefits?

thanks!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I have been looking everywhere for iron rings. I found one sore with one ring for $20 but that was both too expensive and sort of useless as they only had one. I tried ordering from Martial Arts Mart a year back but they were out of stock.

Got a lead on some? Craigslist maybe...
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    I have been looking everywhere for iron rings. I found one sore with one ring for $20 but that was both too expensive and sort of useless as they only had one. I tried ordering from Martial Arts Mart a year back but they were out of stock.

Got a lead on some? Craigslist maybe...
    Actually, I know a blacksmith who I have already asked for another set.
    I have a brass set that I bought at WLE. I used to have two sets, but a certain someone walked off with the first set. lol

If you go wle, it will be expensive!

I'll let yo know how the blacksmith goes and if he has good quality, I will let you know that too! I'm thinking it will be probably 5 to 10 bucks per ring and they will be cold rolled steel, pig iron or some form of iron. Bronze will be too expensive and I think blacksmith hammered ones will have a coarser texture which may lend itself well to the overall conditioning gained from their use.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I have used weighted wrist weights instead of rings since that is all i had at the time and noticed it made some difference. It took about 3-4 months of working with them regularly to notice. I've also used a bar and rolling it along the arms while in stance.

Have you tried looking at fishing supply stores? They may have some type of rings used in nets.
    Last edited by Brule; 06-23-2011 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    I have used weights wrist weights instead of rings since that is all i had at the time and noticed it made some difference. It took about 3-4 months of working with them regularly to notice. I've also used a bar and rolling it along the arms while in stance.

Have you tried looking at fishing supply stores? They may have some type of rings used in nets.
    Good tip. I wanted something a little more compact than sand wrist weights but hadn't thought of net weights.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

what the metal rings do that sand weights don't is they move along your arm and slam and bang into it with your motions.

sand weights provide weighted resistance, metal rings bang on your arms and toughen em up somewhat while providing that dynamic of weight and movement of that weight.

early on when the rings smash into your wrist with a punch takes a little getting used to, but after a while, it doesn't bug you as much because you'll have hardened up a little from the use.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

yes used weighted rings, weights tied to ankles and wrists.

do not like chest weight

stressing your shoulders too much, and may even hurt spine/back

--

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    we use the rings a little differently. We don't really use them to slam and condition your arms. In addition to the slam method, we perform the set slowly,without making them clang, making sure that each movement flows seemlessly into the next. This develops the "live hand," which does not go dead after a strike, but is still able to move and make transitions of energy and direction. Very similar to Tai-Chi.

We also have very heavy rings-8-10 lbs each, in which we perform the sets or other exercises to develop continuing energy as well as resistance on the bridge and short strikes.

Sash weights are held in the claw hand and thrusts are performed.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I use a 60 lb weight vest along with kettlebells to train certain skills and make my walking and turning skills even stronger.

I started a thread a long time back.

Nothing wrong with being strong.

Here is a video of using the vest along with two 50lb Kettlebells.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4PPD-lHBrE
    Last edited by Dale Dugas; 06-23-2011 at 11:06 AM.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

You know, DJ...

I know the perfect archived ezine article for this thread.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I know the perfect archived ezine article for this thread.
    Oh hey, that will go well with these then:
    http://www.martialartsmart.com/45-42.html

Kung Fu is good for you.

I have personally trained with iron rings, wrist/ankle weights, and various hand weights.

• The iron rings assist with the flow of qi
    • Wrist/ankle weights assist in proper body mechanics
    • Hand weights assist in developing jin/energy

I use a weighted vest during spring festival. In China they fill them with sand and they are very cheap..here the same thing is really expensive. I think its a rip off. Sometimes I use two backpacks and fill them with rocks. It is good for stances.

I prefer cheap training methods. Its not because I am cheap, but I don't see why it should be wasteful.

I find that I can learn more from heavy weapons....in the US I see baseball players put weights on the bat. Must be the same idea.

I like to use wrist and ankle weights for various things, and also weighted backpack when i jog. (not always though)
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Don't you find that with a weighted back pack, you have the tendancy to compensate for the added weight on your back? It may not prove to be beneficial as compared to a vest that distributes the weight to your whole upper body.