Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How To for a good Side Kick

lol ya i always loved the inside crescent since i was knocked out by it. never saw it coming until it was there.

i think for me i always felt my outside was too slow, just me personally, so i never developed it much to what it could be.

i think for me also the side kick and especially the turn back kick always held a level of respect just because of the sheer amount of force that can be delivered through them. i mean i dont know anyone that could honestly take a full force side kick to the solar plexus from a master heavy weight kicker without going down.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I prefer the outside crescent over the inside crescent.
    How do you train outside crescent kick on a heavy bag? Do you feel it may put too much pressure on your knee joint sideway? What will be your contact point on the heavy bag?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    lol ya i always loved the inside crescent since i was knocked out by it. never saw it coming until it was there.

i think for me i always felt my outside was too slow, just me personally, so i never developed it much to what it could be.

i think for me also the side kick and especially the turn back kick always held a level of respect just because of the sheer amount of force that can be delivered through them. i mean i dont know anyone that could honestly take a full force side kick to the solar plexus from a master heavy weight kicker without going down.
    On a similar note...

When I was a wee lad and in TKD, I fought(point sparring...not really fighting. I was young!) against a tiny little kid from a wing chun school. I knew what wing chun was so I knew he wouldn't be kicking me above the waist. Plus, he was like a foot shorter than me.

Mistake. I'm pretty sure he tried to kill me. Never saw the spinning hook kick the the adams apple coming. Very, very sneaky.

As I gasped for air, the judge didn't see it and kept telling me to get back on the line to restart. I almost performed "Monkey steals the peach" on him for vengeance.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    How do you train outside crescent kick on a heavy bag? Do you feel it may put too much pressure on your knee joint sideway? What will be your contact point on the heavy bag?
    When throwing to make contact with the outside crescent on the heavy bag, and also during sparring, I used the "bent-to-straight-knee" method. Say you're facing 12:00 and you're kicking with your right leg. You raise your bent knee up to the inside and extend the leg to the outside anywhere between 10:00 to 11:00 and bring it out into the target. Even at "full extension," you can keep a very slight bend in the knee when the kick makes contact, though the leg looks fully straight. The contact point is the outside blade of the foot. This method requires less telegraphing, less effort, and is quicker than the traditional CMA version, which keeps a straight-leg throughout.

I never experienced any knee problems from it. If you kick the heavy bag with it, you're going to be kicking near the top part, which is less dense. Also, if you feel that it still puts undue pressure on the knee joint on the bag, you can alter it a bit by slightly pointing the knee a little more outwards, but this will put the contact point at the instep instead of the blade of foot. IMO, like the hook/spinning hook kick, it's generally better to train the outside crescent kick against kicking pads than the heavy bag, because they allow for follow-through.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 06-25-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Somewhere I saw a comment about high kicks and just wanted to add this. At 34 I am still very flexible and can head kick with ease. Now, when I was 20 I could do full chinese splits, not so anymore however proper stretching, proper stance training, and proper practice should allow someone to continue this practice. My Sifu is 62 and can still head kick with ease.

On the other hand, some people are just not built for these kind of kicks. Not saying that by working at them they could not do them eventually, a person's natural build is very indicitive of how well these kind of kicks can be done. The most important kick to learn is the power roundhouse thrown to the legs, which pretty much anyone at any level of flexibility can do. Donkey and stomp kicks as well as reeps and sweeps are very good to learn for those less flexible also.

I also believe that those who spout off about how high kicks don't work and can't be done are either not athletic enough to do them or have been brain washed by the MMA crowd who like to say these techniques don't work, when the reality is most of them have never trained with someone that experienced in kicking arts.

A friend and training partner who trains in and has competed in Muay Thai always used to tell me how TMA like Karate and Taekwondo had weak kicks and their "fancy" high kicks did not work and were uneffective. The first time we sparred and I nailed him with a hook and ax kick that put him down he told me he did not realize those kicks could pack so much power.

In the end, kicks, just like any other technique, will only be as good as the person working hard to perfect them.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Joe Lewis side kick

vs. David Moon (1968):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJMDb8mjEBA

vs. Skipper Mullins (ignore the Enter the Dragon BL footage edited into this clip):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5re7xB-Y4w

Joe Lewis vs. Arnold Urquidez (1970):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0SV1afbMLU

Seminar (2011):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f37Bfg-CF0s

Joe Lewis also helped pioneer kickboxing in the U.S. around the year 1970.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 07-08-2011 at 12:25 PM.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    commenting on the crescent kicks on bag.

I agree with youknowho. I've tried crescents on the bag and it really is a strain on the joint. I prefer to do them on mitts with partner. More give and not so much weight involved for repetitive practice. Good kick and under used by many. I use it a lot for set ups or swiping motions to move persons hands or body.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.