Thread: How To for a good Side Kick

Hybrid View

How To for a good Side Kick

In CMA the side kick is a weapon used effectively by Kung Fu and San Shou fighters. This like most kicks can be a longer range outside fighting weapon.

Stepping Side Kick-From front or side fighting stance:
    Back leg steps or shuffles up, front leg chambers tight to the body.
    Kick is thrown straight out, hitting with the heel of the foot.
    As the kick is thrown out, roll the hips over to extend through the target.
    As with all power kicks, the surface is not the target but rather through the surface.

Skipping Side Kick-From front or side fighting stance:
    Back leg steps behind, gaining distance and momentum.
    Follow same steps as in Stepping.

Please feel free to add to or list another method if you have one. This technique is very powerful and can be utilized when set up right. One method in Pai Lum we used is to feint with a jab or backfist to throw the opponents guard high than sink the side kick into the lower body. We call this "Pull the Rope".

Thanks for viewing. Pic of me in full extension doing a side kick on the heavy bag.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

I don't do rear leg side kicks anymore, though they were a staple in my TKD days.
    I prefer to use, when I use, the lead leg side kick and typically as a "stop kick" to the waist/hip area, it does a great job of distrubting structure.
    BUt on occasion I have found that a good "step-in" side kick to the chest or face ( catch them by surprise) works really well.
    Knee is more of s stomping target and not a "true" side kick target.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Seeing your picture, can I ask you something dude?
    Do you find that at times you are "turned away" from your target after your kick connects?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Seeing your picture, can I ask you something dude?
    Do you find that at times you are "turned away" from your target after your kick connects?
    At times, yes. When you fully commit to the kick and miss or overextend, you can be turned away. This can be dangerous for someone taking your back, which is why my teacher always trained us to re-chamber and get back to fighting stance fast to avoid this.

I do much more shuffling side kicks with the front leg than anything else, I find them the most useful, easier to connect with, and much less dangerous of exposing your back to the clinch if you overextend or miss your target.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    At times, yes. When you fully commit to the kick and miss or overextend, you can be turned away. This can be dangerous for someone taking your back, which is why my teacher always trained us to re-chamber and get back to fighting stance fast to avoid this.

I do much more shuffling side kicks with the front leg than anything else, I find them the most useful, easier to connect with, and much less dangerous of exposing your back to the clinch if you overextend or miss your target.
    I would suggest that your guard arm ( same arm as kicking leg) is too over your body, towards the inside.
    That tends to cause Us to "turn" to the inside when we finish the kick.
    See your pic for what I mean.

Thanks for the advice, Ronin. I generally try to keep a higher guard throughout, but sometimes you overextend and power through so much you throw yourself off balance and "turn" as you said. Certainly something to work on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I don't do rear leg side kicks anymore.
    If I train my rear leg side kicks 20 times in a roll, I'll get dizzy. Is that normal? Did you ever feel that? I don't get the same dizziness if I do 20 of my back hook kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If I train my rear leg side kicks 20 times in a roll, I'll get dizzy. Is that normal? Did you ever feel that? I don't get the same dizziness if I do 20 of my back hook kicks.
    ya, the only way i find to counter that dizzy is with head movement like in dancing....but that isnt how our head shold move lol so we get dizzy
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.