Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How To for a good Side Kick

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Can be easy to catch, especially if thrown at the mid section and not retracted quickly enough.
    I train it daily but I don't think I'll ever use it in combat. It's against my principle of "using kick to set up punches". I want my opponent to come closer to me. My side kick will force him to move back which is not what I want.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-23-2011 at 01:33 PM.

If you are woefully out of your depth (like I am most of the time) it is an effective way to create distance.

A heel to the solar plexus is a great opening too.

Or an unsettling off color remark followed by a heel to the solar plexus.

flying sidekick to the lower back would be a great way to get someones attention. standing is ok too, but who doesnt like to fly?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    The biggest problem i see with people with the kick is the stance they used to set it up,They tend to stand to side ways when its thrown and keeping your stance like that limits your mobility and tends to telegraph what you are going to do before you do it.

Since i dont have a camera to record what i'm saying imade a very masterfully drawn picture set by step to how id throw mine

I tend to throw it from a boxing style stance where the feet and the body are at an angle rather than the body being too side ways as the woman in is doing it in her stance.

I believe the only time you should be side ways is when the kick is launched As the 2nd foot position shows i achieve this by quickly shuffling my back leg in line with my front leg AS the front leg is being chambered to kick.

So basically from the first stance it's just a quickly shuffling of the feet as the leg is being lifted.This allows me to move around and attack with my hands easier in order to set up the kick rather than be restricted with the clumsy side ways stance.
    Do you tend to use more snapping side kicks? I have had success with showing the sidekick from a side stance. Reason being is that I intend to deliver a crushing blow that hurts whether it is blocked or not.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    front leg as a 'lazy' stop...like, when they are being lazier than I am

back leg only when I think I made 'em think it was a high gate front kick then I switch to mid gate.

it's also fun to side kick off the front legs to the ribs if you happen to have succesfully grabbed their lead hand and can pull them in to the kick.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    Do you tend to use more snapping side kicks? I have had success with showing the sidekick from a side stance. Reason being is that I intend to deliver a crushing blow that hurts whether it is blocked or not.
    No i subscribe to the Bas Rutten theory of fighting where every strike is a full out power shot.I Keep my power side forward and side kick with the lead leg only so i get the most out of the kick.

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

I always retracted my side kick back to chamber after contact. Not only does it lessen the chance of the leg being grabbed, but helps to keep you from getting turned around. It also focuses the power into the target far better than simply thrusting the leg out then dropping it straight down, as some people will do. Kind of a thrusting side kick with a snapping retraction.

During the time that I did Tang Soo Do/TKD, the 'basic' side kick was off the back leg, but I stopped doing that decades ago. I only do/did the side kick off the lead leg, catching someone as they came in, or sometimes the skipping-in method. Occasionally shuffle/fade back or off-angle and catch them coming in. I think of it kind of like a 'foot punch' when used as a stop-kick. I figured if I can make contact with a stop-kick, might as well put some jolt in it instead of only a push/block.

Since my injury I haven't been able to practice my side kick (and round kick, etc., for that matter), but am planning to when(!!) my body recovers.

IMO, seemingly one of the LEAST useful kicks would be the "side snap kick" like in Shotokan forms, where the kicker puts the sole of his foot against his standing knee, then flicks his foot almost obliquely upwards/to the side and back. It doesn't seem like a kick that would inflict much damage.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 06-23-2011 at 06:59 PM.

Blog Entries
    When your opponent applies side kick to you, that will be the best time for you to enter. As long as you can deflect the kick, you only have to worry about his leading arm since his back arm will be too far to reach you. If you can jam his leading arm, you will have a safe entry. This will not apply to the front kick or roundhouse kick situation because your opponet can still hit you with both hands.

I would agree. The side kick is a tool that's good to have in your arsenal, but that's best not to overuse for those exact reasons. But when you land it properly, it can be devastating.

I remember some guys back in the day like Joe Lewis who had scary side kicks. These days it seems comparatively few people develop it.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I always retracted my side kick back to chamber after contact. Not only does it lessen the chance of the leg being grabbed, but helps to keep you from getting turned around. It also focuses the power into the target far better than simply thrusting the leg out then dropping it straight down, as some people will do. Kind of a thrusting side kick with a snapping retraction.

IMO, seemingly one of the LEAST useful kicks would be the "side snap kick" like in Shotokan forms, where the kicker puts the sole of his foot against his standing knee, then flicks his foot almost obliquely upwards/to the side and back. It doesn't seem like a kick that would inflict much damage.
    I don't know how to do multiple quotes, so I will answer both of those statements.
    I also re-chamber my sidekick. I find that by not doing it, actually affects the trajectory and penetration of the kick. The fast retraction along the same line of the kick ensures that it tracks straight into the target, and adds that extra oomph at the end.
    I practice kicking over a chair. It forces me to have a good, tight chamber.
    This enables me to kick from a closer distance without the leg being jammed.

The "side snap kick" I see as really good for shins and knees. It's very fast and has zero telegraphing of the upper body. That's about all I use it for. Makes for a great set-up.

Also, someone mentioned grabbing the lead arm and pulling it into a sidekick to the ribs.
    THAT was the first time I got my ribs broken. I was 17. I've been doing that kick and teaching it ever since.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I grabbing the lead arm and pulling it into a sidekick to the ribs.
    After that kick, you can do a beautiful 涮(Shuan) throw since your opponent's arm is straight at that moment. A twist on his arm will make him to flip forward.

At 0.47, 0.52, and 0.57 (This move may not work in your nearest MMA gym - if I don't say it, someone will).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM5orlabCFE

I used to train my side kick by putting a concret block vertically on a table. If I can break that concret block instead of pushing it away, I may have developed some kicking power. The problem is it just cost too much (a concrete block used to cost $1.20 each).
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-23-2011 at 08:27 PM.

i also sometimes when im alone i like to practice my side kick on a concrete wall, to feel the impact with no give at all. maybe that is just me but i felt it helped me to develop snap. i line my distance perfect with either pivot chamber, or step in chamber and when i would get the wall to slap loud every kick until i started to lose my slapping then i am done. i dont really do this anymore, but when i first started i did this with my side kick and my turn back kicks. probably horrible for my knees..but that is wha tyouth is for!!!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    After that kick, you can do a beautiful 涮(Shuan) throw.

I used to train my side kick by putting a concret block vertically on a table. If I can break that concret block instead of pushing it away, I may have developed some kicking power. The problem is it just cost too much (a concrete block used to cost $1.20 each).
    if you can do that kick then throw and pull it off the fight is pretty much over...

Blog Entries
    My TKD friend had help me a lot to refine my side kick. The longfist system has side kick. But the chamber part is not in enough detail. After I have learned to

- raise my knee vertically,
    - make my lower leg to be parallel to the ground,
    - bend my knee as far back as possible, and
    - kick out my leg,

my kick was much better since then. TKD had helped me on my side kick as much as MT had helped me on my roundhouse kick.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    that's pretty much the way I do a side kick as well. Like I said, I practice it over a chair. The closer I stand to the back of the chair, the more I have to lift my knee and lower leg. Great training, but a real pain to do well.
    The throw you mentioned, is that a neck mopping throw? I can see that as being one possibility.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.