Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How To for a good Side Kick

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    The throw you mentioned, is that a neck mopping throw? I can see that as being one possibility.
    It's not a neck mopping throw because if your side kick at your opponent's chest, his arm that you are holding must be straight in order to give you enough distance for your kick, it will be too far for you to move your hand on the back of his neck.

The force is not to pull your opponent's head down but to "pull and twist your opponent's arm sideway and backward". When you use your side kick to straight your opponent's arm, both of your hands are holding your opponent's right arm. If you step in your right leg (1st step) and then stealing step your left leg (2nd step), you will move yourself under your opponent's right arm and a bit behind his right shoulder. If you just pull his right arm toward his hand direction and twist it downward, you will create a "flip" force on him and throw him forward. I have never seen anybody be able to use this move in tournament. As Lucas had pointed out, if you can make your side kick work, the throw may work after that. If you can't make your side kick work, since you have to move 2 steps, that will give your opponent too much time to react. This will make the move a low successful rate. It's a good demo move but not a good combat move.

A realistic "solo" combat throw should be able to be executed within 1/2 second. Any throw that take longer than that, the successful rate will be lower. If you have to borrow your opponent's force, your speed will depend on your opponent's speed, that will be a different story.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-24-2011 at 12:51 AM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    that's pretty much the way I do a side kick as well. Like I said, I practice it over a chair. The closer I stand to the back of the chair, the more I have to lift my knee and lower leg. Great training, but a real pain to do well.
    The throw you mentioned, is that a neck mopping throw? I can see that as being one possibility.
    I had forgotten that one. Thanks for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    No i subscribe to the Bas Rutten theory of fighting where every strike is a full out power shot.I Keep my power side forward and side kick with the lead leg only so i get the most out of the kick.
    Although I think that throwing too many snapping kicks will get you in trouble at times, I wonder if Bas was speaking more to the strategy that some people will use which is to hold back effort during early rounds of fighting?

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    Although I think that throwing too many snapping kicks will get you in trouble at times, I wonder if Bas was speaking more to the strategy that some people will use which is to hold back effort during early rounds of fighting?
    Bas' view is that, if you put your "all" into every shot ( make every shot count) even those that don't hit the spot will compromise your opponents structure and keep him honest.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Bas' view is that, if you put your "all" into every shot ( make every shot count) even those that don't hit the spot will compromise your opponents structure and keep him honest.
    Which means what? Don't throw snapping techniques or always throw hard (whatever it is that you are throwing). I suspect that it is always throw hard within the structure of a technique. If you are throwing a snapping kick then throw a hard one rather than avoid snapping kicks.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 06-24-2011 at 11:28 AM.

Bas Rutten also knocks people out with a JAB!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    bas rutten also knocks people out with a jab!
    <<<<<this>>>>>>>

And barstools.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

<<<<<this>>>>>>>
    The "Bas knocks people out with a jab comment," is of uncertain significance. Does Bas have Mike Tyson-like power? That's probably part of it, but does Bas advocate only throwing the stiffest and hardest jab or does he also like to throw more standard jabs. My point is that I think that what Bas was referring to was effort no necessarily avoiding a type or class of technique specifically. All I think that Bas was getting at was to avoid flicker and "feeling" techniques and put some power into whatever you throw even though it may not be the most powerful form of the technique that you could throw.

The "Bas knocks people out with a jab comment," is of uncertain significance. Does Bas have Mike Tyson-like power? That's probably part of it, but does Bas advocate only throwing the stiffest and hardest jab or does he also like to throw more standard jabs. My point is that I think that what Bas was referring to was effort no necessarily avoiding a type or class of technique specifically. All I think that Bas was getting at was to avoid flicker and "feeling" techniques and put some power into whatever you throw even though it may not be the most powerful form of the technique that you could throw.
    You just basically said what I and Goju said.

You just basically said what I and Goju said.
    I don't think so. Goju said that he avoids snap kicks to follow the Bas philosophy. A snapping kick is not a flicker.

What you said wasn't clear to me so I was asking for more clarification.

Well tbh to many people snapping= bad as its generally considered the quick type of attack that generally just irritates the opponent and is heavy on speed but not on power.

When i side kick my leg is thrusted out fast and retracted back fast so you could kind of consider that a snapping motion however i just call it a stomping action.When i've shown people how to side kick i tell them to essentially try to stomp through the bag or body of the person to get the most out of the kick.

When ever you lift your leg to kick you are at more of a risk so in my mind you should put everything you have behind the leg attack every time you do it.

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    Well tbh to many people snapping= bad as its generally considered the quick type of attack that generally just irritates the opponent and is heavy on speed but not on power.
    I think that can be. I have always trained with an emphasis on full-contact so I typically think of snapping as something that uses limited hip power so that you can land back in your stance and follow up with my hands more readily if I miss rather than that old-school TKD slop like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFlY3fKTV7w . However, I don't want to discount what Bill is doing there because it is to the head. I have seen plenty of head trauma from kicks just like that. The body, not so much.

I think that can be. I have always trained with an emphasis on full-contact so I typically think of snapping as something that uses limited hip power so that you can land back in your stance and follow up with my hands more readily if I miss rather than that old-school TKD slop like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFlY3fKTV7w . However, I don't want to discount what Bill is doing there because it is to the head. I have seen plenty of head trauma from kicks just like that. The body, not so much.
    I've seen and KO'd guys with lead leg round kicks, the jarring effect on the head is quite something.
    It's not just in TKD but Kyokushin as well.

I've seen and KO'd guys with lead leg round kicks, the jarring effect on the head is quite something.
    It's not just in TKD but Kyokushin as well.
    I prefer the the snapping style round to the head. The "Thai" style demands that you stay upright when you throw it. The angle is bad and it gets deflected a lot. Also, the "Thai" style limits the shorter man's ability to go to the head effectively.

Edit:
    Obviously, I am just speaking about the Generic Thai method which clearly varies from school to school. I have seen some Thai fighters that have kicks as versatile as anything that I have seen anywhere. Duke Roufus being a great example. He calls himself MT but he really does a blend of MT and whatever brand of Larper-do that he learned as a kid. And, it is devastating.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 06-24-2011 at 01:26 PM.