Gradings: How do you approach/conduct/view them?

Although I have only been training in White Crane Gongfu for a short period (40 Years), the impact on life and myself are both powerful and significant.

From the schools perspective a good Black Sash or Black Belt should be a mark of not only their physical attributes but also good character and standing within the local community.

A Black Sash or Black Belt is not the be all and end all. It is the beginning. The person makes the rank. I have known many Black Belts who are obnoxious, rude and ego driven who don’t deserve the belt or the respect they think they deserve.

Many instructors don’t embody the true heart of the martial arts and personal development. These people usually lead broken and shallow lives and tend to attract those who lack values.

A true Black Sash or Belt should be someone who contributes to the community and themselves in a positive way.

Traditional Chinese Martial Arts are based on a Family Hierarchal system and it is on this level that ranks or “positions” are awarded.

Students of White Crane are graded throughout their training and not on a special day.

I prefer to watch, to ‘feel’ my student’s progression during the course of their training rather then run a Grading Day in which they turn up, give a ‘performance’ to pass their grading and then possibly slacken off afterwards.

In awarding my students a grade as part of their normal training and class attendance I find that they give me their best efforts and a constant level rather than on any one given day.

The diplomas are cool and all that but I feel the real achievements are the nights in training where the students have dug deep and gone further. It’s the moments when no one is watching and the only person that knows what you have accomplished is you ... the pride that comes from that is inspiring. We can fool others but not ourselves.