Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cost of wars at least 3.7 Trillion and counting

I think they're unconscious now KC, you can stop beating them now...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Oh the ironing
    Can you please expound on that?

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    Thomas Jefferson sold disagreeable slaves to plantations in the Deep South, as punishment, where they probably died or were broken, or, if lucky, fled to live with native peoples.
    I've never heard that one before. Can you source it? The only thing I know about Jefferson and his slaves was the Sally Hemmings issue. And instead of just killing her to avoid a scandal, he took extra care of her and her children. And before someone says it, it's never been proven he fathered the child. DNA testing proved someone from his family did, but it's not been proven it was Thomas Jefferson himself.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ-Blue View Post
    Can you please expound on that?

I've never heard that one before. Can you source it? The only thing I know about Jefferson and his slaves was the Sally Hemmings issue. And instead of just killing her to avoid a scandal, he took extra care of her and her children. And before someone says it, it's never been proven he fathered the child. DNA testing proved someone from his family did, but it's not been proven it was Thomas Jefferson himself.
    "Treatment of Slaves

Jefferson wrote that he didn’t like to sell slaves. Yet Jefferson sold 70 slaves in 1790 to pay off debts he owed. He also sold slaves as punishment. And he sold those who continually ran away.

Between 1769 and 1820, twenty slaves ran away from Monticello. Several returned on their own. They were later sold. Only three slaves, Sam, Jenny and Harry, were never found. They may have reached freedom.

Overseer Edmund Bacon wrote that Jefferson “could not bear to have a servant whipped.” But Jefferson did have his slaves whipped. When runaway Jame Hubbard was captured, Jefferson “had him severely flogged.” Three other runaways were whipped. Letters and slave narrative told of several cruel overseers on Jefferson’s other farms. "

http://classroom.monticello.org/kids...at-Monticello/

"Edmund Bacon, Monticello’s overseer for sixteen years recalled that Jefferson “was always very kind and indulgent to his servants. He would hardly ever allow them to be overworked, and he would hardly ever allow one of them to be whipped.” But by law, Jefferson’s slaves were his property. And he treated them as property. When circumstances required it, he bought and sold them, gave them as wedding gifts, and hired or leased them out. Slaves who refused to obey were punished and some were sold “South.” And Jefferson granted only seven slaves their freedom. "

http://classroom.monticello.org/kids...n-and-Slavery/

As for the Hemmings issue, the preponderance of evidence is that they were Jefferson's children. They are males of the Jefferson line, and no other known Jefferson has ever been linked to a female in the Jennings line so as to be a sire, besides Thomas.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

As for the Hemmings issue, the preponderance of evidence is that they were Jefferson's children. They are males of the Jefferson line, and no other known Jefferson has ever been linked to a female in the Jennings line so as to be a sire, besides Thomas.
    Thanks for the sources, I've never seen those before. Slavery was wrong, I really wish the Founders had chose to abolish it. But they didn't, although it was only to keep the Union together.

As for the children, some historians say it could have been his brother.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ-Blue View Post
    Thanks for the sources, I've never seen those before. Slavery was wrong, I really wish the Founders had chose to abolish it. But they didn't, although it was only to keep the Union together.

As for the children, some historians say it could have been his brother.
    On 28 August 1833, the Slavery Abolition Act was given Royal Assent, which paved the way for the abolition of slavery within the British Empire and its colonies. On 1 August 1834, all slaves in the British Empire were emancipated, but they were indentured to their former owners in an apprenticeship system which was abolished in two stages; the first set of apprenticeships came to an end on 1 August 1838, while the final apprenticeships were scheduled to cease on 1 August 1840, six years later.

Believe it or not, the Scottish were the first to hit the legal book with talk of abolition of slavery.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

If memory serves me correctly, the U.S. was among the last or the last in the Americas to abolish slavery.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

If memory serves me correctly, the U.S. was among the last or the last in the Americas to abolish slavery.
    Trinidad was the first, although they be Carribean.
    Canada doesn't have much of a history of slavery, although Native folk DID enslave other Native folk.

I think Canada is better know for smuggling slaves out of the States with teh underground railroad.

This I know for sure, North America today does not advocate slavery in any way other than wage slavery. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

i am 100% for robot slaves. screw the robots.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Puerto Rico abolished it in 1873, Cuba in 1886, and Brazil in 1888.

Worldwide, we weren't very near the last to abolish slavery:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aboliti...avery_timeline

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC