Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What makes a good Kung fu teacher / Sifu

as a form of "punishment"

actually

there are many other options other than beating

1. standing in low horse stance for 30 min

2. wipe or mob the floor of a dojo or dojang or dao chang.

3. standing on your hands

4. 100 pushups

5. running around dojo 25 times

6. face the wall and think about your mistakes

---

or just leave the school for the day

--

a ticket, a warning,

---

buying the whole class ice creams

--

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I have no idea why you equate abuse and demoralization as good teaching models.
    make them learn mercy is for the weak

ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE
    --------------------------------
    this is good encouraging song to play during class

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-gSJW3sHXE
    Last edited by bawang; 07-01-2011 at 10:58 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by faxiapreta View Post
    16 techniques? You must be kidding

Boxing has hundreds, if not thousands of techniques.

In addition to all the punches and their variations, you have all the different types of footwork, head movement, body angulation, methods to absorb punches, clinch techniques, entry techniques, etc, etc, etc.
    Boxing has about 16 hand techniques (blocks and punches) depending on who you talk to. If you throw in footwork, you can only step in about 8 directions. Add to footwork steps for each direction and say for circling options. Add slip, bob, weave, duck, and slip and a few random clinch techniques and you are barley cracking fifty. Boxing is simple. The trick as with any martial art is learning to apply the basics in a meaningful way. How many techniques does TCMA have comparatively at least double as the most ridiculously conservative estimate, but realistically at least 2 to 4 times as much.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    Boxing has about 16 hand techniques (blocks and punches) depending on who you talk to. If you throw in footwork, you can only step in about 8 directions. Add to footwork steps for each direction and say for circling options. Add slip, bob, weave, duck, and slip and a few random clinch techniques and you are barley cracking fifty. Boxing is simple. The trick as with any martial art is learning to apply the basics in a meaningful way. How many techniques does TCMA have comparatively at least double as the most ridiculously conservative estimate, but realistically at least 2 to 4 times as much.
    Box competitively for 15 years or so. Then come back. You'll have a lot more than just the "simple" techniques you have listed above.

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Box competitively for 15 years or so. Then come back. You'll have a lot more than just the "simple" techniques you have listed above.
    Any back-flips or chi blasts? :P
    On a serious note, the xingyiquan instructor in our organization use to be a boxer for quite a while and did well for his division. So he brings some extremely interesting and useful things to the table!
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    paragraphs are your friend!'

I was thinking I had it all paragraphed real good, but when I hit the submit button it all jammed together into one great big one. It is this puter of mine. I think I need a new one. Or at least learn this one so as not to let it do that. Besides, it took me a long time just to learn to sipher well enough to do this.
    Jackie Lee

The earliest conception of boxing-that it consisted of a system of tricks-is not dead yet in some quarters. I find that nearly every pupil who comes to me for first lessons is so impressed. The notion dies hard. A few months since the boxing master of one of the leading athletic clubs received a letter from the secretary of a country club asking him if he knew of a teacher who knew a hundred points whom he could recommend; "for," said the writer, "we have one who teaches sixty points, but should prefer one with more extended knowledge."

by Professor A. Austin
    Outing magazine, February, 1891, No. 17, p. 447-452

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Don't call my bluff, Bawang!
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

You are just trying to count any little variation. If my count is so off then please elaborate. Either way, you want to count boxing is simple compared to a standard martial arts because boxing only has to take into account the contrived situation of the ring.

a good teacher is also a good student

1. he listens to his students and welcomes suggestions with an open mind.

2. he also learns things new

3. he also improves him self

---

You are just trying to count any little variation. If my count is so off then please elaborate. Either way, you want to count boxing is simple compared to a standard martial arts because boxing only has to take into account the contrived situation of the ring.

Simpler is better:

Hick's Law.

Fewer choices = Quicker response time.

Though I do agree that Boxing is a bit one dimensional when compared to other ring sports like K1, Muay Thai, San Shou, ect...

Train Hard,
    Josh Skinner

Whew boy. Here we go again.

Jumping around in your pretend situations where you pretend to defend yourself on the street is way more contrived than boxing in the ring will ever be.

a good teacher is the one that knows when and where to leave you alone

and also knows when and where to give you an advice

or a nudge in the right direction

--

I missed my Kung fu teachers.

Whew boy. Here we go again.

Jumping around in your pretend situations where you pretend to defend yourself on the street is way more contrived than boxing in the ring will ever be.
    Bwhaaaaaahahahahaha, since you are obviously a pretend martial artist I will explain it. With real martial arts people strive to train everything in real time and hard. We will have matches where we allow hair pulling, groin, kicks, weapons, all done in real time. With enough equipment people even practice throat hits and eye gouges in real time and against resisting opponents. Have you every trained biting in a bjj environment? I doubt it. How many boxing gyms show you how to stop a knife attack?

Hard training can and often does go beyond the ring. Now having said that, there is something to be said for fighting in the ring. The process of getting into peak-shape and fighting a fighter unknown to you and so on is a huge deal. Likely, I have more ring experience than you do.

Now, why don't you start counting off those thousands of boxing techniques so that we can get a good laugh?
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 07-02-2011 at 07:13 AM.

Bwhaaaaaahahahahaha, since you are obviously a pretend martial artist I will explain it. With real martial arts people strive to train everything in real time and hard. We will have matches where we allow hair pulling, groin, kicks, weapons, all done in real time.
    You should post a clip of those matches. It would be informative.

Have you every trained biting in a bjj environment?
    Like most other things related to ground fighting, positional dominance determines the effectiveness of biting.

Likely, I have more ring experience than you do.
    More than likely you don't.