Thread: Kung Fu Schools in Hong Kong

Kung Fu Schools in Hong Kong

Hey all. I'm new to these boards, but have been a lurking in the background for quite a while now. In about a week, I will be going to Hong Kong where I will be teaching at an educational consulting company for two years. Though I've looked up some things online, I wanted to ask if anyone could make suggestions concerning Kung Fu schools in Hong Kong. I specifically posted in this forum because I am interested in studying a Southern style, particularly Hung Gar or Choy Li Fut. However, I am open to learning Northern Praying Mantis (which is a style I dabbled in that several years ago) or any other Kung Fu style.

Ideally, I'd like to train in a school or with a master who knows traditional forms and how to apply these techniques in a real fight. I wouldn't be averse to any hard training. Indeed, I'd actually welcome it.

For those who are in the know about Hong Kong, I will be living and working on the main island, in Central Hong Kong, close to Sheung Wan. Would this make it more difficult to find a school? Indeed, I've heard that most of the serious schools are located in Kowloon.

In any case, any help that you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

Every sunday there is a kung fu demonstration in Kowloon park. Every week an other school presents itself. Visit it a lot and see if there is any school you like in particular.

Have Fun, Greetz Lau

Hk kf

Hi,

There is always kung fu corner in Victoria Park. I know Gam Bok Yin Sifu (Chui Wei Hung Kuen) is usually there on thursdays 19:00-21:00.
    Also Lam Cheong Park sundays 09:00-11:30.

As far as other systems go I will check and get back to you via pm. My cousin lives on HK island and does wing chun but he does know of some other schools around the areas.

Mike
    Tung Kong Hakka Chow Gar Naam Pai Tong Long

http://www.youtube.com/user/dmas5animals

Quote Originally Posted by charp choi View Post
    Hi,

There is always kung fu corner in Victoria Park. I know Gam Bok Yin Sifu (Chui Wei Hung Kuen) is usually there on thursdays 19:00-21:00.
    Also Lam Cheong Park sundays 09:00-11:30.

As far as other systems go I will check and get back to you via pm. My cousin lives on HK island and does wing chun but he does know of some other schools around the areas.

Mike
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think I've heard about the various classes that are offered in Victoria Park. I have been leaning towards this, simply because it may fit into my work schedule. A once a week type of class may be what I can do.

However, right now, I'm open to anything anyone can suggest.

In the Prince Edward area there is alot of Hung Ga, Chiu Wai has a school. his son Dennis had a bone setting clinic right on the side of Nathan Road.

A few block away there is Cheung Yee Keong the sucessor to Chan Hon Chung.

Near the filling station at Allied Plaza is Lam Jo's school taught by his sons and Chan Gum Lun.

Find Ng Kwan Pok in Prince Edward, he will know where all these schools and telephone numbers are.

Ng kwan Pok makes kung fu shoes and uniforms, he also teaches Eagle claw. His father was a student of Lau Fat Man.