Thread: Using wooden poles, steel poles, cement columns, steel columns to condition your forearms.

sugarsteve Guest

Using wooden poles, steel poles, cement columns, steel columns to condition your forearms.

Hello. I am interested in banging my forearms against both wooden and steel poles, as well as cement columns and steel columns, to condition them. But first, I would like some specifics about how I can get the most benefit out of it. So here is what I would like to know: 1. Should I pad the section of the pole or column that I wish to bang my arm against? 2. Can I bang with full force? 3. How many times per day should I do this training? 4. How many times per week should I do it? Thanks in advance.

Tekarius Guest
    Hi
    One of my friends said not to bang your hand as hard as you can. Its best to bang your hand lightly.

lungyuil Guest
    sugarsteve,
    i don't recommend banging your forearms on poles until they have been previously conditioned.

why don't you try rolling the poles on your forearms since you will get the same effect. rolling them will grind the bones and thincken them up.

if you strike the pole strike lightly first with the forearm always leave the hands open and arms relaxed so that the movements and energy keep at a flowing speed. this way you won't do much damage to the bones & tendons.
    always use jow.
    practice these everyday if you can and the results will be shown within weeks.

hope this helps :)

Paul Skrypichayko Guest
    Start off light and simple. You dont want to injure yourself, especially in the beginning. Slowly, you arms begin to get stronger, and then you can do it for longer periods of time and with more force.

At first, you can wrap the structure with a towel or something like that. Then hit it lightly with all the different parts of your forearm. When your arms begin to get sore and tired (maybe 5 minutes), stop for the day. Make sure you do whatever health exercises your sifu has taught you so that you dont get present injuries or future side effects. Apply dit da jow if you like.

After doing this exercise for a few weeks, you can really notice the difference. After a few years, you can hit the bare structure with full force for half an hour easily.

Still, you should get a good sifu to teach you this training

GunnedDownAtrocity Guest

Why bother?

i dont know guys, all i did was reverse wrist curls (10lbs 5 sets of 15) for a couple months and i can bash my forearms off of wood as hard as i can. as long as i dont hit the corner of my wood post i dont feel it at all. i also dont feel jack from blocking with my forearms.

Paul Skrypichayko Guest
    Maybe you have built up some muscle tissue in that area, but is your whole forearm conditioned to accept impact? Can you accept impact without injury or side effects? If you can, then great.
    One way to test yourself is to see if you can hit a parking meter or metal lamp post at full force.

lungyuil Guest
    I agree with paul, GDA building muscle mass around your forearm is good but there are still areas where muscle doesn't cover.
    It is alot better to thicken the bones than thicken muscle. feels alot harder to go up against a conditioned forearm than a piece of wood :)

WongFeHung Guest
    Iron forearm, like iron palm is based upon wolf's law which states that a continuous and gradual stress placed upon a bone will increase its density. We use a 9 year program divided into three year sections. Year one sam-sing da is done with fists clenched. Train the entire arm, all sides, up to the entire forearms. Step two, open your hands and relax the muscles, this will go deeper into the tissue. Step three, relaxed, but tense and release upon impact-faht-ging. These are strikes. With all steps start LIGHTLY, and GRADUALLY work up to harder strikes.Step two, again start lightly working up, step three the same. Use plenty of tiet da jow, rubbing it into the arms, not simply applying it like cologne. Don't bruise on bruises, thaT'S WHY THE JOW, THAT'S WHY THE GRADUAL. And it must be with consistancy.You can use trees, ples, columns,when you have sufficient experience. Trees, have uneven protrusions, which may cause injuries, and painted surfaces, and galvanized metal is poisonous, I believe. Better to use people.
    I know this sounds difficult(nine years!-what are you kidding me?)But, We do Hung-Ga,this is what we do. It is kung-fu. There are no shortcuts.

Scott Guest

The name for it..

By the way, in case you were wondering.. the official name for the strengthening of the forearms is
    "Iron Bridge."

The bridge referring to the forearm. Or at least, that's the name within Wing Chun, where the forearm is referred to as the bridge because you try to keep contact with your opponent with your forearm, which gives you a "bridge" to their body.

-Scott

"You have to consider the possibility that god does not like you; he never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. It is not until we have lost everything that we can do anything."