Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Secret of Kung Fu

Secret of Kung Fu

After doing mma and then learning more in depth internal martial arts and doing years of sparring I have gone back to stances.

Now I do hours of deep stance work. That is the ultimate secret of kung fu...that and medical qi gong and Daoist theory, but you can't embody the theory or tonify yin or the dai mai without low stance training.

Hung Gar guys know whats up.

Definately helps generate power, Chen tai chi guy's are on to it with their stances aswell i recon.

The actual "secret" of Kung fu is: No secret, just effort and time
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    The actual "secret" of Kung fu is: No secret, just effort and time

Isn't that from "Kung Fu Panda" ?

Quote Originally Posted by donjitsu2 View Post
    Isn't that from "Kung Fu Panda" ?
    No. It predates it. By a loooooonnnng time.

But, I suppose the yu gi oh crowd will accept it as kung fu panda wisdom instead of attributing it correctly much in the same way my generation thought Bruce Lee was coming up with all these great philosophical points when in fact he was merely reiterating the sages of his heritage that was at the time pretty unknown in mainstream culture.

Tao is funny that way.

also Picasso said, "mediocre artists borrow, great artists steal"
    Kung Fu is good for you.

kung fu panda

what is the secret of father goose noodle soup?

--

panda son: come on, you can tell me.

father goose:---

---

hint: there is no secret, but you make people think that there is one.

SKADOOOSH!

BTW...Kung Fu Panda 2 is much better than the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by 瓜娃子 View Post
    After doing mma and then learning more in depth internal martial arts and doing years of sparring I have gone back to stances.

Now I do hours of deep stance work. That is the ultimate secret of kung fu...that and medical qi gong and Daoist theory, but you can't embody the theory or tonify yin or the dai mai without low stance training.

Hung Gar guys know whats up.
    I was thinking something similar the other day when training throws.... it's all about stepping into position, getting below the other's hips... essentially a low horse stance. The entering step on many throws is like cat stance or bow and arrow.... depending on if you're throwing over your back or tripping them with weight foreward.

I also think the opening double crossed forearms in many of my early karate katas may be gi chokes instead of front kick blocks. Its a basic choke you'd teach a newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    I was thinking something similar the other day when training throws.... it's all about stepping into position, getting below the other's hips... essentially a low horse stance. The entering step on many throws is like cat stance or bow and arrow.... depending on if you're throwing over your back or tripping them with weight foreward.
    Doing it with a partner is completely different than doing it by yourself.

I also think the opening double crossed forearms in many of my early karate katas may be gi chokes instead of front kick blocks. Its a basic choke you'd teach a newbie.
    It's not a gi choke unless you are doing it on a partner. Otherwise, it's simply crossing your hands in the air.

It's not a gi choke unless you are doing it on a partner. Otherwise, it's simply crossing your hands in the air.
    Thats a little OVERLY obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Snipsky View Post
    Thats a little OVERLY obvious.
    Should be, but obviously some people think you can extrapolate it to a gi choke.

Should be, but obviously some people think you can extrapolate it to a gi choke.
    true. but why wouldn't you be able to turn it into a gi choke especially when the guy doing it intends it that way??

if you have to exptrapolate a technique, it means the original technique doesnt work.

after 10 20 years people are still trying to justify having paid money for sh1tty kung fu and karate lessons
    Last edited by bawang; 06-30-2011 at 07:24 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    if you have to exptrapolate a technique, it means the original technique doesnt work.

if you believe tai chi people, every single technique is a judo throw.
    extrapolation is merely to infer what is known.

It's called breaking it down.

If you see someone throw 5 techniques in one attack and you are interested in the one that produced the KO, then you extrapolate that technique from the 5 used in the attack and focus on it.

Your premise is wrong.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Snipsky View Post
    true. but why wouldn't you be able to turn it into a gi choke especially when the guy doing it intends it that way??
    Crossing your hands in an "X" type karate block is nowhere near the mechanics used in a gi choke.