Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Secret of Kung Fu

I do agree with one of his ideas though. If you are training regularly you don't need form as a catalog. You know what works for you really well. You know what you're training to adapt into your core "moves."
    In todays day and age? no. i agree with you 100% on that. But i feel if you're not gonna be entering the fight arena forms practice isn't a huge problem. people get out of forms what they want.

After that, I don't care. I'm not here to defend any one system or way. I'm here to protect truth and common sense related to CMA and MA in general.
    Turn on the lights bro. people need to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Snipsky View Post
    is that something a traditional stand up system does?
    If your form "has" them in a realistic manner, they would have to be done in those positional situations.

Of course this leads to another problem with "extrapolating" something like a choke from a standing form.

Chokes are situational. They are rarely effective from standing. They don't even work at all if somoene is mounted on you. They are most effective from the guard, and from the front and back mount.

Pulling chokes randomly from your form, not only is a waste of time, but it can get your arm broken if you don't understand the situational factors that come into play when applying it.

Quote Originally Posted by faxiapreta View Post
    Wrestling never used forms. Pankration never used forms. Muay Thai didn't use forms (actually, the non-fighting version did). The Greek, Roman, and middle ages soldiers never used forms. Judo used forms as a holdover from traditional jiujitsu, but put less and less emphasis on them.

Most application oriented combat systems didn't use forms.

They did however practice a pre-arranged set of movements to learn how to properly and effectively execute what they were taught especially with soldiers who still in this day and age are taught drills to make them move in unison.
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

Wrestling never used forms. Pankration never used forms. Muay Thai didn't use forms (actually, the non-fighting version did). The Greek, Roman, and middle ages soldiers never used forms. Judo used forms as a holdover from traditional jiujitsu, but put less and less emphasis on them.

Most application oriented combat systems didn't use forms.
    Navy Seals use form. Green Beret use forms.

A mock compound was created before the Bin Laden raid. Weeks of walk through form without weapons became weeks of walk through with weapons and then weeks of live fire drills..... no resistance training.

Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast. Fast is powerful.

professional soldiers have always used 'forms' to one degree or another. but oh ya, they cant fight at all.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post

A mock compound was created before the Bin Laden raid. Weeks of walk through form without weapons became weeks of walk through with weapons and then weeks of live fire drills..... no resistance training.

Yeah, but they obviously don't understand reality and are larping :P
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post

Bwahaahaa!!! Comparing what the special forces do to forms? Give me a break.

What the special forces do are was more along the lines of football drills and scrimage.

Next you are going to try to say football training is forms. Bwhaaaahahaha!!

Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by pateticorecords View Post
    They did however practice a pre-arranged set of movements to learn how to properly and effectively execute what they were taught especially with soldiers who still in this day and age are taught drills to make them move in unison.
    Which, of course, ARE forms!

Almost all of them practiced forms. What are drills? They are forms! ALL ancient armies drilled. How does anyone think Alexander taught his soldiers to deal with the Persian army's scythe chariots, or Indian elephants?

By repeatedly drilling his army in how to react, avoid, defend and attack WITHOUT scythed chariots or elephants to practice against. That is, they practiced forms!

Forms = any move that is done in a predetermined routine either solo, in group or VS someone or something.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    professional soldiers have always used 'forms' to one degree or another. but oh ya, they cant fight at all.

ahahaha... They don't compete so they don't understand this...hahaha

BTW, Police officers also learn through drills
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    To me, "a jab followed by a cross" is a form (I prefer to call it drill). It's a way to train solo when you don't have partner. I can repeat this drills 20 times. I can also link:

- jab, cross, hook,
    - hammer fist, groin kick, head punch,
    - hook punch, back fist, upper cut,
    - front kick, roundhouse kick, side kick,

into a 12 moves short form.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-30-2011 at 12:05 PM.

What the special forces do are was more along the lines of football drills and scrimage.

your concept of 'forms' is just wrong. sorry, you have this image in your head of kungfu movies. jab, jab, cross, hook, uppercut, over and over is a form. duh

1 -3 movements in the same sequence over and over is a form.

yes some forms are overly involved.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Those drills ARE forms!

These guys even drill, have forms for quickly and effectively drawing their weapons and reloading them!

If your form "has" them in a realistic manner, they would have to be done in those positional situations.
    Wrong. pre-arranged techniques are taught in the beginning levels to sort of spoon feed you on how the system works. since fighting isn't meant to be carbon copied, its up to the fighting student to comprehend how the techniques would work for them and not the group. the whole idea is to own what you were taught and make it work for you.

Of course this leads to another problem with "extrapolating" something like a choke from a standing form.
    why are we stuck on one move?