Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Secret of Kung Fu

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    What is the following means? any one care to explain?

Your Shifu should know. These are common terms in Chinese martial arts.

Now imagine being a trained in your "forms" as an infantry fighter and then trying to "extrapolate" those "forms" as a Navy seal infiltrating the Bin Laden compound.
    they would already be dissected and extrapolated for you by the time your are finished training.

Quote Originally Posted by pateticorecords View Post
    Standing Cross blocks were also taught to capture/grab the limb of the opponent...
    exactly!!!!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by faxiapreta View Post
    Now imagine being a trained in your "forms" as an infantry fighter and then trying to "extrapolate" those "forms" as a Navy seal infiltrating the Bin Laden compound.

More than likely those extrapolations would get you killed.
    Uh, they did practice on a mock up for a number of days and uh. .....they DID have to extrapolate/innovate on the fly when the helicopter crashed!

That is one of the things special forces train for, the ability to extrapolate based upon changing real world circumstances!

But they still practice, practice, practice and that practice IS a kind of form!

You really have no idea what you are talking about, concerning this whole conversation!

Quote Originally Posted by Snipsky View Post
    everything gets repeated over and over and over till they get it right. the same can be said when we learned our ABC's. So practicing sprawling over and over again is a waste of time?
    Practicing one or two movements over an over again in the manner in which it is to be applied in order to perfect technique is not a waste of time.

Practicing a bunch of moves strung together in a manner that is not the same as will be applied in fighting is not a waste of time.

Extrapolating from either of those situations to situations that are completely different is not only a waste of time, it is counterproductive.

Blog Entries
    Thanks I was in the military for 8 years... that's how we were taught, as a group. We of course then applied it on each other to test it out.

Funny thing is that most people speak of combat in terms of modern day sport... I speak of combat from a life or death stand point... I have seen perfectly executed pre-arranged techniques pulled in REAL COMBAT that resulted in death of the opponent. The element of surprise and the timing were instrumental in their effectiveness.
    When I was in Taiwan military, we trained how to fight with riffle in close distance. I still remembered a combo that I used the handler of my riffle to swing horizontally to my opponent's head, followed by a straight handle strike at his face. Oneday during the target training, I used my swing at a target that was designed for straight striking only. When I broke that training target, I could hear my sergeant screamed at me from behind.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-30-2011 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The cross block was NEVER a choke.
    It was either a block or a strike.
    Some forms were taught empty handed but were suppose to be done with a small weapon, many moves in Okinawan forms were to be done with a "tekko" or other small, concealed, handheld weapon.
    Peasants taught their Chinese/Okinawan countrymen their peasant tricks to deal with the Samurai.

They were forced to teach the Japanese and did a poor job.

Funakoshi was the only student in his area....had to train in secret and was a nerd.

Pick your dweebiest student. Now teach him at night and in secret when you are an old man.

Then he dumbed it down for schoolchildren

who dumbed it down for US soldiers.

How good can it really be at this stage? Why is anyone even talking about karate? If the US had taken over a dirty village in Northern China they would have found better mar tial arts.  60's are over...why are you stuck on k arate?

Practicing one or two movements over an over again in the manner in which it is to be applied in order to perfect technique is not a waste of time.
    Neither is practicing forms, or extrapulating what is found in them and putting them to effective use.

Standing Cross blocks were also taught to capture/grab the limb of the opponent...
    LOL... good luck with that. Almost as dumb as trying to use them as chokes.

More than likely those extrapolations would get you killed.

The basics of the training is the same... ALL US Armed Forces use the same drills however, the SEALs, Green Berets, AF Paratroopers & Combat Control, Marine Special Forces get additional training based on their specialties. You then have to put it to the test and figure out what works best for you...
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

LOL... good luck with that. Almost as dumb as trying to use them as chokes.
    Oh, I didn't say I was using them...hahaha just saying they were taught for that purpose
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Snipsky View Post
    Neither is practicing forms, or extrapulating what is found in them and putting them to effective use.
    Extrapolate a choke from a form. Do it when someone is mounted on your or you are in his guard. You will get your elbow snapped.

Extrapolate new types of punching variations and do them in the same positional situations and you will find the same thing happening to your arm.

Extrapolate ways to get out of a RNC from your form and you won't escape, but you will get choked out.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    When I was in Taiwan military, we trained how to fight with riffle in close distance. I still remembered a combo that I used the handler of my riffle to swing horizontally to my opponent's head, followed by a straight handle strike at his face. Oneday during the target training, I used my swing at a target that was designed for straight striking only. When I broke that training target, I could hear my sergeant screamed at me from behind.

Thanks for sharing this... trust me I had my fair share of being screamed at...hahaha
    Tom

Extrapolate a choke from a form. Do it when someone is mounted on your or you are in his guard. You will get your elbow snapped.

Extrapolate new types of punching variations and do them in the same positional situations and you will find the same thing happening to your arm.

Extrapolated ways to get out of a RNC from your form and you won't escape, but you will get choked out.
    Once again, you got it all wrong. You would practice a number of RNC escapes as your form, and then practice them against a partner, you would NOT practice a totally unrelated movement pattern.

Extrapolated ways to get out of a RNC from your form and you won't escape, but you will get choked out.
    i mean why are we frozen on a CHOKE? there are many more fun techniques in forms other than chokes. and no one ever escaped from a RNC? ever?

New punching variations? there are only so many ways to punch kick and block effectively. and they are indeed found in forms.