Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Secret of Kung Fu

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by faxiapreta View Post
    Practicing one or two movements over an over again in the manner in which it is to be applied in order to perfect technique is not a waste of time.

Practicing a bunch of moves strung together in a manner that is not the same as will be applied in fighting is not a waste of time.

Extrapolating from either of those situations to situations that are completely different is not only a waste of time, it is counterproductive.
    Yup. Even musicians throughout history have understood what you are saying. I mean, who in their right mind would practice scales? No one wants to hear that, because it makes zero melodic song, i.e., to practice something not in the exact way it is to be performed is simply dumb. You are so right. So happy that scales don't exist, aren't you?
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

the real secret of kungfu is the hip action development. we learn how to use our rotations well, and then we please many womens with it. its all in the hips. just ask any of my concubines
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Snipsky View Post
    i mean why are we frozen on a CHOKE? there are many more fun techniques in forms other than chokes. and no one ever escaped from a RNC? ever?

New punching variations? there are only so many ways to punch kick and block effectively. and they are indeed found in forms.
    In the world of MMA the only things that work are the jab, cross, round house, and some ground fighting everything else is sucks
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

Quote Originally Posted by 瓜娃子 View Post
    Peasants taught their Chinese/Okinawan countrymen their peasant tricks to deal with the Samurai.

They were forced to teach the Japanese and did a poor job.

Funakoshi was the only student in his area....had to train in secret and was a nerd.

Pick your dweebiest student. Now teach him at night and in secret when you are an old man.

Then he dumbed it down for schoolchildren

who dumbed it down for US soldiers.

How good can it really be at this stage? Why is anyone even talking about karate? If the US had taken over a dirty village in Northern China they would have found better mar tial arts.  60's are over...why are you stuck on k arate?
    I see no point in your post, none.
    Just the typical silliness that doesn't contribute to anything.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by 瓜娃子 View Post

Now I do hours of deep stance work. That is the ultimate secret of kung fu...that and medical qi gong and Daoist theory, but you can't embody the theory or tonify yin or the dai mai without low stance training.

Your Shifu should know. These are common terms in Chinese martial arts.

Could you please explain your version of explanation ?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Hendrik; 06-30-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Once again, you got it all wrong. You would practice a number of RNC escapes as your form, and then practice them against a partner,
    You couldn't practice them without a partner, which also applies to the rest of fight training.

you would NOT practice a totally unrelated movement pattern.
    Well that's what someone is doing by extrapolating chokes from forms.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    the real secret of kungfu is the hip action development. we learn how to use our rotations well, and then we please many womens with it. its all in the hips. just ask any of my concubines
    Lucas has potato sacked the correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    Yup. Even musicians throughout history have understood what you are saying. I mean, who in their right mind would practice scales? No one wants to hear that, because it makes zero melodic song, i.e., to practice something not in the exact way it is to be performed is simply dumb. You are so right. So happy that scales don't exist, aren't you?
    Listen to the notes in a scale. Then listen to those notes in a musical piece. The notes will sound the same.

Next, watch someone do a form. Then, watch him fight full - contact. There will be very little similarity between the two.

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Listen to the notes in a scale. Then listen to those notes in a musical piece. The notes will sound the same.
    And are those notes played right after one another, as they are done in a scale? No.
    Next, watch someone do a form. Then, watch him fight full - contact. There will be very little similarity between the two.
    LOL...
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The cross block was NEVER a choke.
    It was either a block or a strike.
    Some forms were taught empty handed but were suppose to be done with a small weapon, many moves in Okinawan forms were to be done with a "tekko" or other small, concealed, handheld weapon.
    Ya see? When things are practiced in the air, anyone can say they are "meant to be" this or that. The fact is they aren't this or that unless they are applied to the opponent.

Until then they are just dancing.

Ya see? When things are practiced in the air, anyone can say they are "meant to be" this or that. The fact is they aren't this or that unless they are applied to the opponent.

Until then they are just dancing.
    You do realize that they way forms were taught originally was that they were taught AFTER the practioner had practical knowledge and AFTER the practioner was "in shape" to learn, they were the finishing part of MA training, like I mentioned before, the "catalog".
    One training was 1-on-1 or in small groups, that is the ideal method.
    As the saying goes, "something got lost in the translation" along the way.

forms are good if you are going to go to prison for a long time. since you cant bring your notes you can have a moving catelog of your techniques that are all arranged. that way you can train your gang to be a killing force and rule the yard.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    You do realize that they way forms were taught originally was that they were taught AFTER the practioner had practical knowledge and AFTER the practioner was "in shape" to learn, they were the finishing part of MA training, like I mentioned before, the "catalog".
    One training was 1-on-1 or in small groups, that is the ideal method.
    As the saying goes, "something got lost in the translation" along the way.
    Someone who knew his art wouldn't need the form. Most expert boxers, BJJ, Sambo, MMA fighters and wrestlers don't have catalogs of the thousands of techniques they have learned over the years... same with most skill activities that people learn.

If anything the forms would have been taught because they DIDN'T learn the system well.

forms are good if you are going to go to prison for a long time. since you cant bring your notes you can have a moving catelog of your techniques that are all arranged. that way you can train your gang to be a killing force and rule the yard.
    yeah, we can name the clique "form kings"....don't fuk wit' us.

Quote Originally Posted by Snipsky View Post
    yeah, we can name the clique "form kings"....don't fuk wit' us.
    lol hell ya. lets go to prison man!