Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 250 year old man?

Bastet Guest

250 year old man?

my sifu showed me a book the other day (by Dr Yang Jwing-Ming) about chi gung. In the first cople of pages there is a man named Li Ching-Yuen who reportedly lived to 250 years of age (1678 - 1928)!! He outlived 14 wives because of his use of herbs & chi gung.... His wisdom & knowledge would be so great - he would be a walking history book!

What do you think?? Dr Yang Jwing-Ming is a very respected teacher - do you believe this story? Do you think this is POSSIBLE?? With all our advances in science & medicine, why are people still dying before they even get to 100? Would you like to live to 250 years old? Is this guy just a freak of nature? Why havent the great kung fu masters lived even half this long?

I would like to see what would happen in the world during 250 years - but wouldnt like to see all of my friends and family (even my grandchildren, great grandchildren?) die before me. What would quality of life be like at 250 years old?

Lots of questions - I know :) Looking forward to everyones replies...

blessed be,
    a.

Shaolin Master Guest
    Li Ching Yuen is a true individual and is from the Emei Shan School of arts, he was a practitioner of Baguazhang amongst other things including Qigong and TCM. Emei Shan is very deep in its Qigong and internal theories, it has a treasure house of beauty unbeknown by many.

Regards
    Nice Smiley how did you do that ? :)

Shi Chan Long

8stepsifu Guest

weird, but true

At the highest levels of Tai Chi, you can decide the second of your death, say goodbye and lights out.

Its not entirely unique there are some African guys that can do the same thing.

I'd say the story is likely exagerated, but I guess I believe it just as much as I don't believe it, anything is possible. I guess 8 Step Master Chiang Hua Long living to 106 back in the day was pretty amazing. Just check out Genesis. People were living 900 years. Who am I to call these ancient people liars? After all, knowlege isn't progressive and linear. The pendulum swing back and forth through the ages. To quote Ecclesiastes, "There is nothing new under the Sun

If your not bleeding, your not having enough fun.

lungyuil Guest
    the mind and body are amazing, anything is possible.people can will themselves to live or die. i think if people can live to 100yrs while not looking after their bodies these days then i am sure there are people we don't know of that are living longer. :)

Kevin73 Guest
    The life span of a human is around 150 yrs. old, but the life expectancy is about half that.

Anything is possible I guess, it could have been one of those things where you saw the upper limits as opposed to the normal range of age. Like that disease where you age about a decade for every year. So you die at about 7 and look 70.

"There are many who talk of the Way, but few who walk the Way."

qeySuS Guest
    8step i hear Native Australiens (the ones before the english that is) Can do the same (that is decide when to die)

Free thinkers are dangerous.

lungyuil Guest
    Qeysus,
    it is Australians and yes i think the older generation of aborigines have the ability to dictate when to die. It is more meditation and freeing your spirit than anything else. :)

jutsow Guest

o.k

if you guys believe this i have some beachfront property in arizona for you. and who says yang jwing ming is a highly respected martial artist. just because someone wrote a book doesnt mean they know everything, and just because something is in a book doesnt mean its true. look at mein kemph :(

Buddy Guest

250year old hoax

Come on, this bull**** was debunked by the Chinese years ago. Biff Painter uses this crap in his ads as well. If it sounds too good to be true...
    Buddy

GLW Guest
    Buddy,

you have obviously been around a while....Not too many people will refer to Painter by the name Biff anymore... :)

What dealings have you had with him?

TaoBoxer Guest

Doc Painter

I took one of John Painters seminars and I was impressed with his skill. He is a professional and trains every day....so of course he is skilled.

As for his claims of the founder of his family system living to be over 100, it was published in the Ba Gua journal that that incident, covered by Ripleys Believe it or Not was a fraud, as stated by the New York Times. Mr Painter states however that certain members of the community have personal issues with him and try to discredit him.

As for the name Biff....he told me that is part of his real name, and it is on his birth certificate.

TaoBoxer Guest

oops.....

I have also been told by my teachers that because Longevity and age was so well respected in China that the older you were, the larger the stipend the government paid out to you. It was not uncommon therefore to have people assume another persons identity (and age) after they died. If a. 80 year old man dies and his 65 year old cousin takes his place......and he lives another 20 or 30 years...and someone does the same to him....you can see how many 120 year olds there would be all over the countryside.

Bastet Guest

thanks for the replies people!

some interesting stuff there.

but nobody has mentioned whether or not they would like to live to 250.....

is longevity one of the reasons you do martial arts? or is it something you havent given much thought to?

blessed be,
    a.

Kevin73 Guest
    Just thought I'd throw this in for sh*ts and giggles. In Coldwater, Michigan by where I live a lady just turned 114. Other than looking like yoda, she looked fairly good.

"There are many who talk of the Way, but few who walk the Way."

jediman Guest

Oldest living person.

Guiness has the oldest living person is 122. A man in Kentucky just died at the ripe ol' age of 120. Man.