Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr. HaHa Lung??

Dr. HaHa Lung??

He's listed on google as a "well known martial arts master". Oh?

Well known by WHOM?

And how come there is no biographical info on him? What is he a "doctor" of?

I think that he's probably Ashida Kim in disguise..

They both have written books with very similar titles and about VERY similar subjects.

Other that I know nothing about him.

Quote Originally Posted by LaterthanNever View Post
    He's listed on google as a "well known martial arts master". Oh?

Well known by WHOM?

And how come there is no biographical info on him? What is he a "doctor" of?

I think that he's probably Ashida Kim in disguise..
    Here is what Ashida Kim has to say about Ha Ha Lung:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6a1B...eature=related
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

LOL! Well... having glanced at some of "Haha Lung's" books on psychological warfare at a local bookstore, I will say: No, he's definitely NOT Ashida Kim. He's far more intelligent and his books (at least the two I looked at) seemed at least somewhat interesting (don't know anything about his other stuff).

Judging by his writing style and the traditions he references, and how he references them, I'd say he doesn't seem to be Asian. And hey, the word "lung" being "dragon" in Chinese, his name would seem to be an inside joke, possibly meaning "laughing dragon", or at least that's what I get from it.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

and your point being? does your post have to do with martial media and popular culture? i dont think so.

doug maverick,

First..re-read the title of the forum "martial MEDIA and POPULAR culture". Last I checked..books are a form of written media. Second, he seems to enjoy some form of POPULARITY (notice the similarity of terms). Hence..I have every right to post about him..

Second..don't you have anything better to do? Either contribute or say nothing..

LaterthanNever, ultimately it will be Gene's decision if this post has gone off topic but, generally we use this thread to talk about Kung Fu Movies, Kung Fu Comics, Kung Fu TV Shows, Wuxia novels, music with some tenuous connection to martial arts, and save the sifu-bashing for the general forum.

Generally this sub forum has avoided flame wars though and I'm sure many of us would like to keep it this way so, enjoy your thread by all means, but if you are looking to stir up CONTROVERSY you may be better served elsewhere.

Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    LaterthanNever, ultimately it will be Gene's decision if this post has gone off topic but, generally we use this thread to talk about Kung Fu Movies, Kung Fu Comics, Kung Fu TV Shows, Wuxia novels, music with some tenuous connection to martial arts, and save the sifu-bashing for the general forum.

Generally this sub forum has avoided flame wars though and I'm sure many of us would like to keep it this way so, enjoy your thread by all means, but if you are looking to stir up CONTROVERSY you may be better served elsewhere.

what he said!! please take your negativity else where. unless you are critiquing his book which you are not, instead you are bashing the person.

Hypocricy..

Simon M,

Go back and re-read my questions. They were in QUESTION format. Hence..it is by definition an INQUIRY. I asked what kind of doctor he was..there is certainly nothing wrong with that. I guess some could view my ending comment about HaHa Lung and Ashida Kim being the same person as "controversy"..but that was not my intention. And in the end , if you and Doug Maverick want to accuse me of being controversial in knee jerk fashion, that is up to you, but I have better things to do. When you state:

"Kung Fu Comics, Kung Fu TV Shows, Wuxia novels,.."

That's an interesting double standard you've got there. So..am I to understand that one can bring up a comic (which last I checked is a printed form of entertainment..just like a BOOK)..and a "wu xia" novel ..but if a book mentions another form of martial arts(ninjitsu)..that it's somehow off limits?

And if as you say that the forum is a place to discuss martial arts media..and then thereby list what is considered media..then..the answer is..YES..I AM WELL WITHIN the limits of this forum.

As for negativity..I'd suggest going back and reading Doug Mavericks response. Seems pretty negative to me.
    Last edited by LaterthanNever; 07-03-2011 at 04:04 PM. Reason: adding info

Gentlemen, gentlemen...

I hear what you are both saying, Simon & Doug. I have engaged a few of the books of Ha Ha Lung (his publishers were kind enough to send me review copies) and I actually believe that LaterthanNever is correct in posing his question here, as his work seems more entertainment oriented. I also think that having Ashida Kim dis your ninja book on youtube is quite a compliment. Now I kind of wish he would do the same with my book. Simon, Doug, if you check out Ha Ha's books, I think you'll understand why they fit here alongside kung fu comics.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

See, now I'm somewhat intrigued.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

A-HAAA!!

"I also think that having Ashida Kim dis your ninja book on youtube is quite a compliment."

ah-ha!! And the truth shall set you free!!

So I see!!

Simon and Doug are in fact the infamous Dr. Ha-Ha Lung all along!! It seems they together.. co-share his moniker!!

I would be so proud if Ha Ha was actually a forum member here

That being said, I was thinking about this last night and decided the thread should be moved to ORA. All our ninja stuff is in ORA except NinjaStar, and we gotta keep those ninjas where we can see 'em, right?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shouldn't it actually be Lung Ha-Ha?

Admittedly, all I know about Haha Lung are the books I've spotted and occasionally browsed here and there. It's obvious that Haha Lung is a horribly fake, "Asianoid"-sounding pen name created by a (most likey) Caucasian guy.

Then again, he (or they) could be someone with very real knowledge in spite of the nom-de-plume. I've read a couple of (non-MA) books written by people with equally odd pen names that seemed to contain at least some legit material in them.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 07-06-2011 at 10:25 AM.

Well, it IS a ninja we're talking about...

...and you'd expect a ninja to use a nom-de-plume, right?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips