Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrestling Roots

Wrestling Roots

I found this on bullshido the other day. As we are presently inundated with unjustifiably outspoken untrained detritus from that direction I thought I might steal something of actual interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFfu6-RWSxA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRgR9kdlEGA&NR=1

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...golia?ref=card
    Help me document and protect traditional wrestling styles from around the world starting with the biggest and baddest of 'em all: Mongolian Bokh (Khapsagay).

Mark your calendars: May 25th I leave the United States on a 10-week wrestling adventure through China and Mongolia. I'll be staying with local wrestlers in ger camps and tents as I learn about their culture through wrestling. I need the Kickstarter community to help me raise enough money to make sure I can turn this bone-crunching adventure into a best-seller when I get home.

The story of the Mongolian wrestling community will feature my interactions with wrestlers in Shangxi, China; Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia; and the Khovsgol Region of Northern Mongolia. I will be learning the techniques and history important to the traditional form of the sport so that I can compete in the Nadaam Wrestling Festival held throughout Mongolia in mid-July and then live semi-nomadically for several weeks following the competition. These experiences, along with extensive research about the (surprising) history of the sport, will become an adventure travel book in the vein of Christopher MacDougall's Born to Run.

So that my readers can follow my triumphs and miseries during the trip I've also created WrestlingRoots.org - an expanding database of information created to help document and protect other traditional wrestling styles around the world. It's my plan to have the site host future adventure blogs as well as rich multimedia content and critical essays. My blog will be featured at the top of the home page.

Traditional wrestling is in danger of being marginalized or eliminated worldwide. Societies from the Punjab Region of India to the Khovsgol of Mongolia have already seen the effects of modern life on their grappling cultures. Unlike traditional forms of dance, the world seems numb to the plight of these wrestlers and disinterested in documenting or preserving their important physical expressions. Many of the traditions passed down through thousands of years are on the brink of disappearing - time is running out. My hope is that you will help me to write a book that captures the beauty of wrestling in a region that still celebrates its sports heritage and the accompanying lessons of companionship, communication, strength and endurance.
    http://wrestlingroots.org/
    T.R. Foley is a freelance journalist with a special interest in writing stories about mixed-martial arts, wrestling and adventure travel. His work has appeared in several national magazines including ESPN, Bicycling and the leading MMA publication FIGHT!.

In 2004 Foley earned All-American honors as a wrestler for the University of Virginia and later helped coach the Columbia University wrestling program to it’s first-ever top 25 ranking. He received his M.S. in Magazine Journalism from the Columbia Graduate School of Journalism in 2008 and began working full-time as a freelancer in late 2009. As this photo might suggest, Foley now enjoys traveling to exotic locations and wrestling with natives in tiger print tee shirts.

Nice. Finally someone posts about something that is real instead of the normal snake oil b.s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=756i6...eature=related

See how easy it is for them to show evidence of their techniques working against resisting opponents?
    Last edited by faxiapreta; 07-02-2011 at 09:44 AM.

Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

A great topic indeed!

Although, I'm largely ignorant about Chinese grappling...can anyone tell me what are the differences between Shuaijiao and Chin Na? From the clips posted Shuaijiao resembles Judo...the Beijing instructor's technique was amazing by the way.

Is Shuaijiao incorporated as apart of any other Chinese martial arts systems or is it a stand alone art?
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    Although, I'm largely ignorant about Chinese grappling...can anyone tell me what are the differences between Shuaijiao and Chin Na? From the clips posted Shuaijiao resembles Judo...the Beijing instructor's technique was amazing by the way.

Is Shuaijiao incorporated as apart of any other Chinese martial arts systems or is it a stand alone art?
    hahahhaha

hahhahaha

lol...omigod...seriously...where did you learn kung fu?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    chin-na is only one aspect of shuai-jiao,(if you are examining sj as a style) just as da, tehk, are aspects.
    In CMA, da, tehk, seuht(shuai) , na are aspects of most systems.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by 瓜娃子 View Post
    hahahhaha

hahhahaha

lol...omigod...seriously...where did you learn kung fu?
    Master, I participated in CLF for only about a year, I'm aware Chin Na was apart of the system, but considered an advanced training at my school, so I never partook. I do have some limited wrestling and judo experience. I claim no mastery of Kung Fu...just a humble and appreciative student of the martial arts.

Please forgive me...

Grasshopper

PS Thank you for being such a generous soul with your vast knowledge and mastery.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    That was awesome. Apparently Foley is going to compete in the Nadam.

Those guys are huge!

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    chin-na is only one aspect of shuai-jiao,(if you are examining sj as a style) just as da, tehk, are aspects.
    In CMA, da, tehk, seuht(shuai) , na are aspects of most systems.
    Of which systems? WC? Hung Gar? Praying Mantis? All of the above?

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    That was awesome. Apparently Foley is going to compete in the Nadam.

Those guys are huge!
    we competed in san da vs the Mongolian team at the worlds, even teh "small guys" are sickly strong

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Shuai Jiao exists as a separate system/tradition

chin na is a SKILL not a system. Saying you do "chin na" is like saying you do "kicking" or "punching"

If you are not doing ti, da, shuai, na (four skills) you are not doing TCMA

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Shuai Jiao exists as a separate system/tradition

chin na is a SKILL not a system. Saying you do "chin na" is like saying you do "kicking" or "punching"

If you are not doing ti, da, shuai, na (four skills) you are not doing TCMA
    I believe that there are a stand alone chin na systems that are similar to aikido, however, your point is sound.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    I believe that there are a stand alone chin na systems that are similar to aikido
    yes, they are referred to by the traditional term "made up"

Blog Entries
    I like the Mongolian wrestling "1 round with no time limitation". Very simple and straight forward.

Shuai chiao is both a seperate system and a part.

Only shuai: Sport wrestling

Only chuei: Sport boxing

Only Ti: TKD

Only Na: Aikido

Actually they must all be done together and even that is just bs surface things.