Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Short Bridges in Hung-Ga

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Indrafist View Post
    As for head on or clinching, both are entirely possible with a 'Hung Gar guy'.
    I'm glad to hear that Hung-Ga guys are more open minded. In some style discussion thread, when you mention the word "clinch", people will think that you are tring to drive the discussion away from the original subject.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-18-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Interesting topic TT. In general, bridging is best defined by the classic poems. "Build a bridge and walk over it."

For Hung Gar, this is a key concept. I don't claim it is the only style to have this concept but it should drive almost all contact. This implies that HG is not a "hit and run" style or a "mainly counter attack" style. If you look at the 12 bridges, it is a model for all connections. Chuen Kiu (inch/short bridging) is just one of the 12.

If you are asking about the one bridge, distinct from the others, then subitai gave a decent example. But training the bridges should not happen in isolation. In abstract, bridging is a connection. Usually discussed when the arms make contact but it actually starts the moment there is any connection. Body position, posture, distance all come into play.

In this sense, you could call short bridging, the moment there is contact. As Subitai has also mentioned in previous posts, our sifu condensed the concept of bridging into one word. "Follow" It doesn't mean keep constant contact but more follow the energy/opportunity. I think a twist on a classic poem applies. "Find the door and walk in"

I like this metaphor because if the door is open, you just walk in. If the door is automated, you must wait for it to open. In some cases, it can close on you (like an elevator door). Some doors require you to open them yourself. For these, some you can open and leave open while others need you to hold them open. Some doors are locked. In this case, you must decide to break the door or find another. If you look at the 12 bridges, they discuss various ways to find and utilize a door. Focusing on one of the bridging concepts is only training for one type of door.

So what were you looking for?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I agree. Short bridging can manifest within all the twelve bridges. The twelve bridges are qualities of energy, not necessarily techniques. Putting them into twelve bridges is more of an attempt to transmit into words, what is taught through feel. It is a learning aid that unfortunately has become dogma. The finger, rather than the moon.
    Of course this is my experience, your mileage may vary.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

what am I looking for? a discourse, an exchange of knowledge, opinions, experiences.
    A few interesting topics to challenge the thoughts and views of the forum members and stimulate intelligent conversation.
    To bring this forum back on track, to what it once was.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I agree. Short bridging can manifest within all the twelve bridges. The twelve bridges are qualities of energy, not necessarily techniques. Putting them into twelve bridges is more of an attempt to transmit into words, what is taught through feel. It is a learning aid that unfortunately has become dogma. The finger, rather than the moon.
    Of course this is my experience, your mileage may vary.
    Agreed the 'Bridges' are more like qualities and principles.
    Principles give rise to techniques in the same way as Plato's theory of Perfect Form gives rise to specific instantiations of 'form', in this case: short bridges.
    Last edited by Indrafist; 07-19-2011 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    what am I looking for? a discourse, an exchange of knowledge, opinions, experiences.
    A few interesting topics to challenge the thoughts and views of the forum members and stimulate intelligent conversation.
    To bring this forum back on track, to what it once was.
    I guess my question was, did I meet your goal? We could write a book on "short bridging".

I like this topic because in much of the sparring I see on the internet, I don't see bridging used often. Is it because it isn't effective in the ring or because it isn't trained well? In the short clip of Subitai, you see it but his opponent went down to quick to easily notice.

As a side note, a few times in light sparring, I get the comment, "I'm crowding them." This is the result of proper bridging (as I understand it in HG). While opening doors for yourself, you close them for your opponent. So in sparring, while I may not see a tiger claw or a crane beak, I should see the gap bridged and the closeness maintained. Closing the gap, attacking and then getting out is not bridging. Waiting for your opponent to initiate contact is not (typically) bridging.

Quote Originally Posted by hasayfu View Post
    I guess my question was, did I meet your goal? We could write a book on "short bridging".

I like this topic because in much of the sparring I see on the internet, I don't see bridging used often. Is it because it isn't effective in the ring or because it isn't trained well? In the short clip of Subitai, you see it but his opponent went down to quick to easily notice.

As a side note, a few times in light sparring, I get the comment, "I'm crowding them." This is the result of proper bridging (as I understand it in HG). While opening doors for yourself, you close them for your opponent. So in sparring, while I may not see a tiger claw or a crane beak, I should see the gap bridged and the closeness maintained. Closing the gap, attacking and then getting out is not bridging. Waiting for your opponent to initiate contact is not (typically) bridging.
    It may be time to extend the understanding of 'bridging' to include 'target acquisition'. In contact or not, enagement starts the moment you detect a threat, your movements, and the opponents, are part of the 'virtual' but still real bridge between you.

Indra.

Quote Originally Posted by Indrafist View Post
    It may be time to extend the understanding of 'bridging' to include 'target acquisition'. In contact or not, enagement starts the moment you detect a threat, your movements, and the opponents, are part of the 'virtual' but still real bridge between you.

Indra.
    Exactly. For me, bridging encompasses all connections. "short bridging" is the moment of contact. In Hung Gar, we have concepts for "long bridging" prior to contact as well. The strike/block techniques are the most common (not only) method to go from long to short.

Note that my use of long and short are my own. As far as I have been taught, it is all "Kui" or bridge.

Going back to my analysis of Subitai's fight vid, the subtle move to his opponent's outside was making use of the "virtual" bridge. If he had attacked from his original position, it would have been easier to be countered. If he had made a large move to the outside, it could have caused an immediate reaction rendering the move moot. This is a fighting concept drilled by Sifu.

Quote Originally Posted by hasayfu View Post
    yes,
    and yes-I'm working on it!
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.